Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cant fit air temp sensor into cai?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by desman, May 1, 2003.

1. desman

desman my glass is half empty

just installed my ebay knockoff cai and when i tried to shove the air temp sensor into the rubber grommet it would not go for the life of me. what i ended up doing was i took out the rubber grommet and just pushed the sensor into hole. should i find a new rubber piece or just put selant around the hole? Took it for a ride and i get a wicked sucking sound and i did notice a difference. it also seemed not to idle as rough as it did before :D
    btw i have a 1995 mustang. thanks for the suggestions guys

2. Rellik

Rellik is a dirty pirate

Either get the gromet or use some silicone. The chouce is yours. the gromet would be a little less messy though ;). Just be sure to ceal that up pretty quick, cuz it could be the source of an airleak.

Glad it improved something for ya :)

3. MeanGreen232

MeanGreen232 Four Cylinders.....

Did you stick the hose on the metal tube or the rubber gromet. I put it on the metal tube.

4. rick0636

rick0636 New Member

I didn't get any rubber grommet, had to use massive quantities of RTV silicone sealant :(

5. greenflash00

greenflash00 The Green Machine

What i did was just trim down the sides of the sensor and slid it in there..it isnt big enough, but the little sensor housing is plastic so i just got a knife and sorta carved some of the plastic off until it would slide in. Had it on almost 2yrs and no probs :D

6. OR_Red98

OR_Red98 "USAF Ret."

I had the opposite problem with my BBK, the hole in the grommet was too large. I thought about wrapping a couple layers of good old duct tape around it, but vetoed that, too sloppy a fix. So then I cut the bung out of the OEM pipe, cut a groove about a quarter of an inch up from the bottom and wah-lah it's fixed and looks like it belongs there.

7. rick0636

rick0636 New Member

hummm, you mean out of the rubber oem pipe? I thought about doing that, lol. My C&L pipe just had a hole in it, no rubber grommet at all. so I just used a lot of that silicone stuff, I had a lot of it around, I think it even came with a small tube, maybe that is what it was for.

8. OR_Red98

OR_Red98 "USAF Ret."

Yup, the intake pipe between the MAF & TB. I also cut a section out of the main tube to connect the MAF to the BBK up tube. Their pretty blue silicone rubber connector wasn't long enough.

9. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

For you guys that are having a hard time mounting the IAT sensor to your cold air intakes, just don't mount it! Seal up the hole in the intake and mount the sensor as far forward of the engine as you can. You'll get a more accurate reading of the air temp instead of getting a heat soaked sensor that gives slightly higher temp readings.

For all of you nay-sayers:
    It won't hurt anything at all if you protect the filaments of the sensor with a small box or plate that goes around it.

:)

10. OR_Red98

OR_Red98 "USAF Ret."

KT-

Doing it your way gives the computer ambient air temp, bogus data, instead of the temp of the air in the intake path. For instance lets say you're sitting in rush hour traffic and your sensor is mounted out in front of the radiator. With heat radiated up from the road and out from the radiator it's going to sense air temp much higher than it would in the air stream inside the CAI.

I don't know if they use an ambient sensor and then take the differential to use in tuning the car, but I wouldn't put it past them. Doing it your way would negate the differential.

11. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

That might be true at idle but at speed you'll get a lower temp in front of the radiator than you will in the intake piping. It should advance the timing just slightly and give you a 1-2 hp for passing. No big difference really.

12. desman

desman my glass is half empty

just wondering if anyone else noticed that the plastic around the air sensor looked melted a little bit, cause mine did a bit. sensor wire sticking out also has a blackish colour to it. would the warm air over time do this? and to clean the sensor wire, do u just use something like electrical contact cleaner and spray the wire?

13. OR_Red98

OR_Red98 "USAF Ret."

You could spray it with some electrical contact cleaner, but don't use a rag or anything on it, just spray it and let it air dry.