Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Car won't start. Need help.

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Jose's3.7, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Jose's3.7

Jose's3.7 New Member

I was installing an aftermarket sound system in my 2013 v6. I ran all the wires to the back and connected the power wire to my positive battery terminal. When that was done I tried turning on the car but nothing happened. All the electronics in the car work and when I turn the key the lights don't dim. Me and some friends tried push starting it and it worked but everytime I turn it off I have the same problem. I'm not sure what happened so I could use some help.

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

I'm not at all an expert on your generation mustang. That said, it seems some of the wiring you did is interfering or interrupted the starter circuit.

I'd check to see if the starter terminals and starter solenoid terminals are electrically hot/cold at the various key positions.

Always verify the fuses too. I expect there is at least one panel/box in the engine bay and another in the cabin.

3. luisito

luisito New Member

I have somewhat the same problem,i installed the aftermarket headunit and it started fine till it sat over the weekend,eversince then I have to jump start it everymoring and now it literally wont charge at all if I jump start it it starts fine but wont hold charge. Now I took off the headunit and installed the factory unit and it still doesn't hold charge,driving me crazy!!!

4. falconguy

falconguy Member

Use your OBDII diagnostic indicator and test for error code indicating a voltage increase or decrease to the computer. I had the same problem and found that the automatic radio antenna blew the motor . This resulted in a loss of voltage to the computer. Your computer used on the 3.7L has a built in safety feature that prevents the engine from starting if voltage is below or above a certain level. I'd try to disconnect the battery for a few seconds and then re-attach. This should reset the computer and the engine should start again.

5. falconguy

falconguy Member

Check the voltage to the battery while the engine is running. You should read something around 13.8 to 14.3 volts . If less than 12 volts it may be that you have burned out a diode on the alternator. In that case reduced voltage would go to the battery and the battery would slowly loose power causing the ECU to prevent starting.