1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

check engine code p1443

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by sand1303, Jun 29, 2009.

Social Buttons
  1. sand1303

sand1303 New Member

is there any way a not secure pcv valve could be causing a p1443 check engine code. i have a 96 3.8l and engine light comes and goes. i've replaced the two valves or sensors on the purge line and still had a problem with check engine light. was checking my a/c level and i noticed that the pcv valve was almost completely off. i've already looked the code up it is a purge failure.
  2. 3.8Mateo

3.8Mateo Wild and Free bro

This is the code that is currently causing me many headaches. I haven't replaced the valve yet, but it could also be a bad seal on your gas cap. Mine cuts off an on, so I am having a hard time figureing excatly what it is. Also, check all your vaccum line around the canister.
  3. sand1303

sand1303 New Member

Yea, I've switched gas caps too, I drove it about 25 miles to work this morning which was the firs time driving since I re-seated the pcv valve. Was still on when I got in it this afternoon to come home. Did not turn it back on after I got home to see if it would go off. I might pull the battery cable but it will clear itself if that was the actual problem after so many miles.mine cuts on and off too. So I will just have to give it time.
  4. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 New Member

HW7 DTC P1443: CHECK THE VOLTAGE ON THE PURGE FLOW (PF) SENSOR CIRCUIT VOLTAGE WITH ENGINE RUNNING
    Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1443 indicates an incorrect evaporative system purge control valve flow.

Possible causes:

Obstructed, open or cracked hoses between EVAP canister purge valve and intake manifold.
    Damaged EVAP canister purge valve.
    Damaged PF sensor.
    Key off.
    Disconnect PF sensor.
    Check for loose pins or broken wires by pulling moderately on the PF, VPWR and PWR GND circuits at PF sensor harness connector.
    Repair as necessary.
    Reconnect PF sensor.
    Connect scan tool.
    Key on, engine running.
    Access EVAPPF PID.
    Key off.

Per Ford WSM for 1998 mustang with federal emissions.
  5. Silentst2000

Silentst2000 New Member

Here's how the computer tests the evap system per Ford WSM same make and year.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vapor Management Flow System Monitor
    The EVAP Vapor Management Flow System Monitor is designed to verify that the EVAP canister purge valve (Item 1, Figure 11) is functioning properly and to verify the flow of fuel vapor from the EVAP canister purge valve to the engine. The electrical function of the EVAP canister purge valve is initially checked before the flow test can begin. Inputs from the ECT sensor, IAT sensor, MAF sensor and VSS are used to enable the flow test.

Note: The EVAP vapor management flow test will not run if a EVAP canister purge valve malfunction is indicated. The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) associated with an electrical fault of the EVAP canister purge valve is P0443 (EVAP system control valve circuit malfunction).

Before the flow test is performed, the PCM will calculate how much fuel vapor is present while purging under engine operation. If the amount of fuel vapor calculated is above a calibrated threshold, the PCM assumes that there must be fuel vapor flow to the engine and that the EVAP canister purge valve is functioning properly. If this condition exists, the idle speed portion of the EVAP vapor management flow test will be bypassed and the test will pass and complete.

If the amount of fuel vapor calculated is below a calibrated threshold, the idle speed portion of the EVAP vapor management flow test must be executed to verify that the EVAP canister purge valve is functioning properly. An assumption of the flow test is that regardless of the fuel vapor in the EVAP canister, some portion of the fuel vapor flow will be air. The flow test will calculate the increase in the idle air requested by the PCM when the duty cycle on the EVAP canister purge valve is reduced from 75% to 0%.

If the calculated increase in air flow exceeds a calibrated threshold, the PCM assumes the EVAP canister purge valve is functioning properly. If the calculated increase in air flow is negligible, the EVAP canister purge valve is not functioning properly. The DTC associated with this condition is P1443 (EVAP control system purge control valve malfunction).

The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) (Item 2, Figure 11) is activated for DTCs P0443 and P1443 after two occurrences of the same fault.

Figure 11: Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vapor Management Flow System Monitor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6. DEstang

DEstang Why So Serious?

^^ stop copy and pasting. Unless you're a tech and know how to fix it, you're really not helping.

BTW, CEL's do not clear themselves. There are memory codes and pending codes. Memory codes are when the on board diagnostics(OBD) sense a continuous problem. Pending codes are when the OBD have sensed a trace problem, but it is not a steady fault.

It takes roughly 30 miles for the OBD to scan the vehicle and watch for any faults. If you pull codes before the OBD is done scanning and it has found something be not verified a fault, it will spit it out as a pending code. However if the computer finds a constant fault, it memorizes that and spits the code out. Memory codes are in the memory until you reset the PCM (unhook battery for 10-15 mins) pending codes automatically clear themselves when the ignition is turned off.
  7. sircrashalot

sircrashalot Caribbean love 2 eat rice

hmmm honestly check your solenoid , knock it a few times and spray it wid carb cleaner knock it some more, i had the same issue my car is 268 K it died at 264, pretty sure the previous owner had replace it , as long there rust on the solenoid it pretty much gone.