Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Check Engine Light

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by lakerstang31, Oct 3, 2006.

1. lakerstang31

lakerstang31 The Stangmobile

Hey guys my 1996 mustang had a check engine light that would come and go at first, but now its on all the time. When I got it checked it turns out that it was my 02 sensor and evap valve. (codes p1443 p0136) Does anyone know about how much it will cost to fix and is it really necessary? Thanks again.

2. Culex

Culex 3.8's Polyglot

well, replacing an O2 sensor would cost you $50 but as for the evap valve, I dunno, it looks like a Manufacturer DTC..

3. sgramer

sgramer Big LoZer

Most of the time when the EVAP code comes on it is the solenoid and/or the sensor. I am not sure how much those cost, but I would guess around 100 bucks for both. They are located on a hose that runs across the fire wall.

Scott

4. lakerstang31

lakerstang31 The Stangmobile

Do you know where I can the O2 sensor because I called a place and they told me it was going to cost close to a $100. Thanks for the help.

5. Culex

Culex 3.8's Polyglot

$100 for one sensor is a rip-off, it should cost $50, and P0136 means that a Downstream Bank 1 O2 sensor is at fault. It isn't really that much of a concern since Downstream sensors are the ones that come after the cataclytic converter and are used to measure catalyst efficiency, unless your state has emmissions testing.

Btw, bank 1 is the passenger's side and bank 2 is the driver's side so looking under the car from the passenger's side of the car, you should remove the O2 sensor that comes AFTER the cataclytic converter (that metal orb thing).

Hope this helps.

6. Justin@VMP

[email protected] New Member

Don't put those cheap garbage bosch sensors in your car. Get a motorcraft sensor from www.rockauto.com, the front ones are the only sensors that matter.

7. citizen arcane

citizen arcane New Member

for the 1443 code:

i replaced the purge flow sensor (Ford part #14A606, about $25) and haven't had any codes since. it's suggested to replace the sensor and the canister purge solenoid (part #9C915) together, which i didn't do.

make sure if you replace them,to point the arrows towards the engine side(vacuum source)or it will be backwards.