Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Checking Auto trany fluid?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by George W, Apr 17, 2007.

1. George W

George W New Member

On my wifes 2007 v6 Mustang there is no dip stick for the automatic transmission. In the manual it said you need to take it to ford to have it checked.. That's just nuts.. Anyone have a service manual that will tell the procedure for checking it? I think a shop manual is needed.. I didn't get under it yet to take a look to see if there is a marked plug or not.. Just want to make sure it's full from the factory.. So far all the lug nuts were lose real lose. Only two lug nuts was up to spc when I checked them.. Also the battery hold down was just lying across the top of the battery..Every hard bump would cause a extra tump on the passenger side and when I looked I just shook my head.. all the tires were low too.. not much of a big deal but the lug nuts was another story. They could have been a safety issue as the car was driven 300 miles to get it to my dealer.. Already talked to the dealer he picked up the car from a out of state dealer in CT and said they should have prep-ed the car right.. He said big dogs was coming to his dealership Wednesday and he would talk to them about it....Also the wife asked if they would drop $400 bucks off the extended warranty price for our trouble should we want to get it.. They said sure.. So for $1000 bucks ( there cost* they will give us a 60,000 mile 6 year bumper to bumper excluding all the normal wear items.. I didn't think that was to bad.. Sorry for venting!! Really just need to know how to check the tranny.. Thanks! George

2. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

I've never heard of any auto without a dipstick. I don't think you're looking in the right place.

3. dapack69

dapack69 Need Money ASAP

He's right, they have no dipstick at all.

4. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

That's got to be the stupidest idea yet!

5. chrismullins99

chrismullins99 New Member

I guess Ford wants to sell some transmission services.

6. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

The 5r55 auto trans is a self contained unit. The only way to "check" the trans fliud is to dump it through the trans pan.

I guess Ford's thinking is: If you have no leaks, you have no headaches.

7. George W

George W New Member

There has to be a way to put fluid in the tranny! Someone must know... George

8. dapack69

dapack69 Need Money ASAP

Check by the shifter. You'll have to take it out, but that is the only place I can think where a fill plug would be.

9. taylor0987

taylor0987 New Member

Sorry to the people who have never heard of this but car manufacturers have been up to this insanity of no dipstick/no fill plug on various systems on cars for several years now. (I can give other examples, but the one below is most relevant...)

I don't know how the 05+ Mustangs are set up, but the 5R55(E/W/S) trannies on Explorer have been like this since 2002 or so. On the Explorer the fill/fluid level plug is a smaller plug in the center of the larger drain plug. There are some crazy procedures that you have to go through to check the level. Fluid is added using a pump!

Here is what the CD says for 02 Explorer. Let me know if you want the illustrations...

10. klotzstang

klotzstang Well-Known Member

I guess they either are confident with the 5R55, or don't mind warranty replacements. And what if tou run low , burn the tranny, and get stranded in the middle of nowhere? I would NEVER but ANY car, unless I have full control over maintainence. I can see the towing bills now, law suits, and too many trips to the dealer. Other brands, like Isusu use the %R55. I see them adding a dipstick, or losing AT sales.
    But on a performance car like a Mustang? What are they thinking???

11. klotzstang

klotzstang Well-Known Member

IT IS!

12. George W

George W New Member

taylor0987,

Thanks for your post! That some useful info as it gives me something to look for and the possible setup it may have.. But what bull/s--t on a performance car for sure.. How many time have any of you got a new car from the dealer and checked all the fluid levels and found them to be off, over or under full.. I know I had many... this is the one thing that bugs me, such a nice crisp smooth tranny I would like to keep it that way.. Not not have to trust it to someone that's having a bad day or who just don't feel like doing there job.. I have always done all my own fluid checks and changes. Thanks for you info.. I'm going to be checking into this more and I will post if I find out the exact procedure George

13. MustangPython

MustangPython Chevy Guy

dodge chargers do not come with dipsticks. They have a tube, with a plug in the end that says "For Dealer Use Only" . The Dodge dealers have a dipstick they use to check the fluid.

14. Shifty

Shifty New Member

yeah dipsticks in autos are becoming a rare object, i know camrys use the same basic idea, its just like how manual transmissions have worked for years, except you have to have it running when you check it.

15. CollegeKid3.8

CollegeKid3.8 New Member

Sell tranny services... people are greedy... they wont get their car fixed... they will wait till something is severly wrong then they will get it checked... they probably don't want to sell services... they probably wana sell the whole tranny

16. Raymond

Raymond `

Wow, I didn't even notice the lack of the tranny dipstick on our auto '07 V6. then again I wasn't looking for it either. That's crazy!

17. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

bye~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18. Stangin&Bangin

Stangin&Bangin Feels good man

19. Robbie McDonald

Robbie McDonald New Member

So I was researching on doing a transmission service on my wife '08 and stumbled across this string. I went to check her car to see if it too was missing it's dipstick, and low and behold, it does not have one either!!! Well this sucks because hers is having some issues shifting from either first to second or second to third at slower speeds. It just jars and is very concerning. So I guess she just needs to be more conscious on her driving habits. But is nice to know there is not much that can be done on this. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

RM/PM

20. cjb321

cjb321 New Member

LMR has a replacement pan that includes a dipstick for the autos