Chrome rim painting question.

Tiffany97

Hey guys! Ive decided to paint my chrome saleens gloss black. The reason for my decission is the chrome looks like **** now b/c of all the brake dust.

My question to you is do we sand down chrome the same way we would if they were silver finish?

If anyone has any tips or opinions on how they think it would look than by all means tell me!:)

Duke

God
strip the coating and then primer, color, clear.

I think some aircraft stripper will strip the chrome, and couple that with some sanding. Go down to bare metal and then shoot it with primer with a metal acceptable primer. Then sand the imperfections down with 800, spray color, repeat, clear, repeat and then fine sand, buff etc.

Tiffany97

strip the coating and then primer, color, clear.

I think some aircraft stripper will strip the chrome, and couple that with some sanding. Go down to bare metal and then shoot it with primer with a metal acceptable primer. Then sand the imperfections down with 800, spray color, repeat, clear, repeat and then fine sand, buff etc.
Thats pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the input hopefully it turns out nice.

Where can I get aircraft stripper?

68pony

Needs a Mustang again
I agree on not painting them. If you must try and get a black chrome look like taylor did on his pony.

Brandon

Better Than Sliced Bread!
buy that spray paint that you can wash off with water/soap and paint them to see how you like it. Once you realize that an all black rim looks horrible you can wash it off and laugh at yourself for thinking an all black rim would look good.

Tiffany97

Ok ive decided to take your advice and leave them alone. They are looking like **** fast though! Are there any people who have care advice? Any products I should be using on them besides mothers chrome treatment.

Mothers makes the best metal polish out there, they make some for chrome and aluminium, pick up some of that and if you have a cordless drill get the mini power ball, all of that should cost you about $25 and about 4 hours later your wheels should look brand new.

Justin251

hotpocketssssss
Use some elbow grease and some wax and clean them the **** up. Take them off the car if need be.

I always used regular shitty turtle wax on the chrome pacers I had on my 92 s10. It worked well but didn't do **** for paint.

GreaseMunky

Mines Bigger!
good call on the not painting them. i have the Anthracite bullit rims, and had a pro paint them turned out nice, but now around the center cap there starting to flake, nothing big yet thank god, but think its time to get new ones , and keep these as spares since i sold my stock rims.

tedness

Mellow Yellow
can you afford new wheels in the same size? because a black 17" wheel will look even tinier than what you've got now