Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cleaning out the engine

Discussion in '2005-2014 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by Lola1977, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Lola1977

Lola1977 Member

Hey guys,

As the horrible pollen season is coming to an end, I was planning on cleaning out the engine. What parts of the engine would you guys definitely cover before taking the hose or pressure washer to it?

I also read, that I am suppose to grease the camshaft after 60k miles, any ideas if this is something I can do from home or should I bring it in to get it done. I am not a mechanic, just doing basic stuff like plugs, breaks, oil change, fluid top off and tire rotation etc. Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

The camshaft is lubricated by the main engine oiling system. There is no need to re-grease it except during installation.

There are various tutorials showing how to clean the engine. It would be good to wrap electrical connectors. Tin foil is an option. You may want to apply cleaning solutions and then hose it down. Do not point high pressure water at electrical connectors or gaps between flanges.

Lola1977 likes this.
  3. six gun

six gun Active Member

As a detailer for many years, I can say you're pretty safe spraying most things long as you're not at point blank. Lots of degreasing cleaners etc you can use. Simple green is a good one.

Things to watch out for though besides electrical connections would be open element air filters (I cover with a plastic bag or something like that), idler and tensioner pulleys, and maybe the backside of headlamp assemblies because their breather vents are back there. You can do your hood liner too but keep plenty of distance away with your sprayer.

Lola1977 likes this.
  4. Lola1977

Lola1977 Member

Great tips, thank guys