Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold air intake

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by derb25, May 21, 2014.

1. derb25

derb25 New Member

Has any one got any feedback or heard anything about these CAI??

Attached Files:

2. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I would check into see if you need a Tune for that CAI. Some not all require a Tune. I never heard of them and that is very cheap for a CAI.

3. PandaSmuggler

PandaSmuggler Member

Honestly I'd be a bit wary of this intake. Not simply because it's on eBay, but there is very little info on the internet in regards to this manufacturer. The fact that "XYZ Tuning" doesn't have a website should raise some red flags. I also found this same picture with a different logo under "BCP - Best Car Part". That doesn't really instill confidence to me. There's no dyno information nor warranty information nor online instructions.

Another thing that irks me is unless this utilizes the stock air box, this is actually a short ram intake, there's nothing "cold" about it. We can argue SRI vs. CAI all day, but speaking from personal experience, I will never purchase a short ram intake ever again. Granted, I purchased an SRI from a more well known manufacturer and it sounded nice. The problem came really apparent on a hot day stuck in traffic, the car was idling so bad that it felt like it was going to stall. The problem with SRIs is there no airbox, so they're sucking all the hot air from the engine bay. Of course dynos won't show this as they always dyno with the hood opened and a giant fan blowing on the engine bay. Obviously you won't be doing this in real world situations. Another thing to note with this intake is the fact that it's using aluminum. If you look at the CAI from most of the manufacturers for our car, you'll notice that they're plastic. Metal tends to heat up quicker and hotter which means hotter air. Also the filter looks puny on this intake, but you can easily replace that with a bigger cone filter.

I believe that the main reason you pay so much with the bigger manufacturers (Airraid, JLT, AEM, etc.) is that you're not so much paying for the materials, however you're paying for the R&D. The diameter of the pipe, the size of the air filter, *fitment*, all these things are coming into play. If you're just looking for a better engine note, it may be worth it, but I think you're just paying money to lower your performance.

Phil II likes this.
  4. derb25

derb25 New Member

Yeah I bit the bullet and just ordered the Airaid....

5. StangDawg

StangDawg Member

Me too. I installed the Airaid CAI last september and just love it. Now all I need is a tune to compliment the CAI.

6. PandaSmuggler

PandaSmuggler Member

Good call. I plan to get a tuner+intake as my very next mod.

7. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

That was a wise choice. I like my Airaid a lot and with my Magna flows it made a very good difference. I also put in the Airaid Spacer Plate . Got a increase of 4-5 mpg and it has a cool whistle sound .

8. JohnCappola

JohnCappola Member

I live in New York and have a K&N TP-3529 CAI along with the SCT SF3-3015 Tuner. My question is: Do I have to de-tune the system every time I get it (NYS) inspected? We go by the California Emissions Standard.

9. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

is it CARB approved?

10. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

K&N usually is carb approved. You should be good as long as the tune doesn't interfere with their scanner.

11. JohnCappola

JohnCappola Member

It is not CARB approved...yet (CARB-EO approval is pending). Word has it that the positioning of the MAF sensor is holding up approval. This is why I want to fly under the NYS emissions radar. If I have to swap out the CAI with the stock air intake, I will most likely have to retune back to factory specs. I am trying to avoid that.

12. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

do you not have a handheld tuner. it takes 15 minutes max to return to stock or to put an aftermarket tune back on. Atleast for me.

13. JohnCappola

JohnCappola Member

I have the SCT-3015#SF-3 Tuner. I use it to bump up the performance of the CAI. The tuner has all the factory specifications stored in its memory. Do you think going back to factory will do the trick?

14. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

if you go back to factory (intake, and tune) for inspection that is your best bet. You can swap back after the inspection but that way you do not have to worry about anything!