Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cold Air Intakes

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Stang08, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Stang08

Stang08 Member

I'm looking to install a CAI system. Do I need to tune the engine for the CIA to work?

2. Doug07

Doug07 Member

Some do and some don't; most of the suppliers like American Muscle will tell you in the product description. I have a BBK and it didn't but a lot of folks will state if it doesn't require a tune you aren't getting enough out of the mod to make it worth while. I'm not enough an expert to say but that does make sense but for my use the BBK is fine. I did decide to put in a larger throttle body, BBK headers, and Pypes mid mufflers (putting in this weekend I hope). I will order the Tune once I get everything in so I don't have to worry about getting a new set.

I don't have direct experience yet but the people I've talked to is the Tune is the best mod to put in no matter your modification list.

I'll be watching to see it turns out.

3. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

The very best mod is the driver mod, followed by tires.

If whichever CAI you choose does not change the cross-section area that the MAF is metering it will likely not need a tune. Its worth noting that most CAI do not significantly improve over factory.

Feyd likes this.
  4. Stang08

Stang08 Member

Thank you for replying to my post. I have other upgrades to do, so your advise sounds pretty reasonable. I'll wait to do the same. Have a great Mustang Run this year.

5. Stang08

Stang08 Member

Phil II thanks for taking the time to answer my post. For now the CIA install will be for a car show coming up so. As I indicated in Doug07's post I'll wait to make my other upgrades then "Tune" the system.

6. pacbelt

pacbelt 6 Pistons, less mass = POWER Potential!!

I can appreciate getting a CAI for the "cool factor". Some, like Airaid, do make enough of a difference to feel on the "butt Dyno"!! ;)

Even IF a CAI kit specifies that you don't need a tune....
    They're mostly right. You don't NEED a tune with most....
    BUT, a good Tune is a crucial, worthwhile upgrade for these sixers!!
    First, it will optimize your engine parameters and increase overall performance.
    Second, you can make transmission adjustments (if you have an A/T). It can give you tire chirping shifts, and make the trans more durable!
    Third, it will make upgrades that you install, work BETTER! If you do CAI and a larger TB, a custom Tune can optimize A/F ratios, spark timing, ect., for THAT particular setup.
    The Tune will give you MORE power with your bolt-ons than without it.

A Tune, WITH the right bolt-ons, will give you a power increase that you can FEEL!! :D
    May even bump up your gas mileage too.....

7. pacbelt

An FYI....
    Among the best "Bang for the Buck" mods, are a GOOD, high voltage coil pak, like ACCEL, or Screamin' Demon - AND a very good set of plug wires.

This upgrade will almost ALWAYS net you more gas mileage, smoother idle, better acceleration, and of COURSE....
    More POWER!!! :D

Headers and exhaust are excellent upgrades as well.
    DON'T go TOO big on exhaust pipe diameter!! You have a single 2 1/2" exhaust system stock.
    Ford used similar setup in the 1970's, in something like a Ford Torino, with a 351M or 400M (5.8 or 6.6 liter!), with a 2 1/2" single exhaust, and had tire SHREDDING torque!! ;)

Thing most people don't know, or have been taught, that too MUCH exhaust pipe volume DECREASES low and midrange Torque!! If your ride is a daily driver, just something to enjoy, and have "fun" with....
    TORQUE will be much more usable in the 1800-3500 RPM range, than Power gains above 4500-6000 RPM.

UNLESS - you're building it to go racing, amateur or pro. THEN, Horsepower is King!! ;)

The V6 S-197s perform better with 2 1/4" dual exhaust.
    NOT 2 1/4" SINGLE!!! That will KILL power! :(

As far as Headers.... It's really all about choice!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  8. pacbelt

CONT'D

Headers have been around a LONG time! Even longer than I was!! :p
    They do a great job of improving exhaust flow, exhaust scavenging (Different, deeper subject!), and can increase HP ~and~ Torque across a wider powerband.

I personally, may get Shorty Headers...
    They're cool looking, of course, and give a little more power/torque, which is nice.
    BUT, if better performance is your goal - these are NOT what you want!!!

That's what "Long Tube Headers" are for! Back in the day, that was the ONLY way Headers came.
    "Shorties" originally came out in the late 1960's, with ONE style - "Block Huggers", for installing a Small Block Chevy in a T-Bucket, or any hot rod project.
    That was IT, until 1984. Then somebody came up with the idea of compressing tubes to make a Header set, that bolted up to the stock Y-Pipe of the new IROC-Z. They sold like CRAZY, and Chevy's cast iron LOG of an exhaust manifold was SO restrictive - that the Shorties made a Significant increase in power AND torque.
    The next year, Shorties came out for the 5.0L Mustang, and got even BETTER increase!!
    The rest as they say, is History! ;)

Everybody just accepted it as Gospel, that Shorty Headers gave gobs of power...

The reality is, in the 1980's, power was DISMAL in performance cars. The exhaust manifolds then were a major cork in the system.
    A stock 1984 Mustang 5.0, put out 45 LESS horsepower than your stock V6!!! :p
    It's true!

Since about 10-15 years ago, factory exhaust has gotten a LOT better, and a lot less restrictive.
    So lately, although today's Shorties are well tuned, they will NEVER give the significant increases.
    Stock headers are now just BETTER than they used to be...
    They're just UGLY!!

If you want a performance set of Headers, that WORK, Long Tubes are the ONLY way to go!! :)

Sorry, I got on a roll. Hey - a little History never hurt anyone!