Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Coming up on your first oil change? I would read this.

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Adamd, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

Well I just completed my first oil change on my new 2011 Mustang!!

Lets start out by saying that the stock ride height of the front end is a lot lower then you think when you try and get your car jack under it. After I got the car up enough and all set up...

1. You have to take off a plastic cover plate that is held on by 3 screws allowing you to access the oil filter.

2. Getting to the oil plug is very easy and in a perfect spot. Allows you easily to get your oil bucket of choice under it to collect the oil.

3. Getting the filter off is the biggest pain in the ass. Getting to the filter with your hand is easy. I was able to turn it loose with just my hand and I was surprised coming from the factory.

4. My step 4 is coming up with a way to not make getting the damn oil filter out without spilling that 1/4 of a quart of oil or so all over the ground, your hand, and everything from the filter down hitting that plastic cover and the other metal parts.

They put the oil filter in a spot where it is very hard to put a bucket under and remove the filter at the same time. So you are either going to have to put some cardboard in the spot and kind of bend it so it can act as a drain and flow into the bucket. Once you set up the cardboard you can remove the oil filter from above easily just by reaching over into the engine bay.

You could also try putting a ziplock bag over the filter while trying to take it off and hope the oil flows into the bag etc.

Overall I went into this blind and after I was done I did some reading online and it seems others are kind of figuring out ways to create a less mess oil change. If you can do this on a lift or get your car higher off the ground easier ways might be found.

This will all become clear when you do this your first time. At least you can have a heads up now! I should have also said what size sockets you need but I forgot. Maybe next time. I believe you need a 15mm for the oil plug.

2. yodman

yodman Switching it up

Thanks for the tips, Adam. For sure, something I have to do when mine comes out of hiding next year. My dad and I discussed the cardboard trough too so as not to make a mess. Lol.

3. kobudo

kobudo Well-Known Member

Is there not an access area to let the oil filter drain? If not (or if it's just inadequate), how hard is it to remove the plastic cover under the engine?

4. yodman

yodman Switching it up

There's two aerodynamic covers under the front, coincidentally. The oil access one Adam is talking about, and also another one up front which also has the little lip/chin attached to it. It's held in by (9) nine 7mm bolts. Not hard to remove, if you have a lift. It's a PITA if you're under the front of the car, even jacked up.

There is no direct access for the filter to drain into. If you don't take that cover off, you're gonna trash it with oil.

5. kobudo

kobudo Well-Known Member

Damn. Ford should've made it a bit easier. The subies I've been working on generally have four bolts (about 14mm, IIRC) and four push clips to remove. After that, the oil filter is pointing straight down at the drain pan.

6. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

Man, and I thought the 2v GT's were aggravating (I always had to fab a path for the oil with the filter box to prevent it from spilling all over the R&P). I assume the 5.0 probably have the same issue with the aero shield. Thanks for the heads up, Adam.

7. kgmx856

kgmx856 Dirtbike Aficionado

Perhaps a filter relocation kit would be a good pick up?

8. hitmankb

hitmankb King

Hey, you already have 10000 miles on that thing???

9. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

No I changed it with 8,500 miles on it just because I did not want to wait until it got into January/Feb and the temp is super cold.

10. DEstang

DEstang Why So Serious?

Whats the big deal here? Because I have no issues changing the oil.

11. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

You have a 2011 mustang?

12. DEstang

DEstang Why So Serious?

No, I am a ford tech and oil changes on these are like every other car on the road...

13. kobudo

kobudo Well-Known Member

Changing oil on a lift with a nice drain pan and maybe an electric tool to get the under body coverings off can be a lot different than doing it in your garage with a jack, jack stands, and some 3/8" sockets and a wrench.

I've only been unhappy about one car so far with doing oil changes at the shop, and that was a Saturn SUV a few weeks back that has the oil filter near the top and tucked under the exhaust manifold. There was also no clear drain path for the oil that was going to come out. A brilliant example of GM's engineering. Having to mop up a mess after an oil change is not fun.

I can see someone trading a pre-05 mustang in on a 2011 mustang and cursing a plastic cover during their first oil change, taking the plastic cover off as it hangs a few inches or so above their face. Not everyone has a nice shop with access to a wide variety of tools.

14. Adamd

Adamd Sweet!

Yeah Kobudo you about sum it up.

Just not the best car to do oil changes on in a garage with a jack at least in my opinion and many others as I noticed online.

15. yellowV6sport

yellowV6sport Member

I've done 3 oil changes on my 2011 so far and YES the filter is a PITA when compared to an SN-95 V6. Thing I hate the most is you either need two drip pans (under engine access cover than hangs vertical between drain plug & filter) or you got to do the filter 1st then drain the pan. Thought I had it all figured out with the bottom cut out of a gallon milk jug under the filter sitting on the frame beneath it. However it is not a flat or level surface and it moved so I ended up making a mess the last time.

Saw this ...
    http://www.formafunnel.com/
    ... in a magazine a few months ago and finally went and bought one ($25 + tax @ Carquest). Have yet to use it, but I think it will be quite the helpfull tool for oil filter changes on my 2011 as well as other inconvieniently placed items on all the vehicles I currently own or will own in the future.

Doug

16. Fink

Fink Active Member

Have you guys ever thought of taking a punch and putting a hole in the old filter to let it drain? Then you can unscrew it and magically there is no oil in the old filter.

I work with 50/60 series Detroit engines at work and that is how we always drain the oil/fuel filters.

17. yodman

yodman Switching it up

So I did mine over this last weekend. It's really not that hard. Yes, the oil filter is a PITA, IF you don't use some sort of trough or funnel. It will leak all over the underbody cover that you remove and the k-member. I just used the oil filter box, tore off the top and bottom flaps, opened it up flat, and creased lightly to make a long v-shape. No mess for me whatsoever. Oil drainage from the pan is SLOW though. Didn't like that much.

18. SC_Kona_Blue

SC_Kona_Blue Member

I have to change mine soon also thanks for the heads up.

19. Fabian

Fabian Fabian

Simple and good idea. Thanks.

20. hotwired78

hotwired78 New Member

i had mine serviced at the dealership and it seemed normal for them to just make a mess of the underbody cover and just spray it clean later. just tough to keep it clean, not too much you can do about it other than ^^^^ that answer