Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Convertible Top

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by madman?, Feb 9, 2014.

1. madman?

madman? Member

Any suggestions for a source for new convertible top including rear window ....

2. Dave Telford

Dave Telford Member

I have seen quite a few on Ebay.

3. madman?

madman? Member

Sorry let me clarify that ... which manufacturer has best top for the money ... I've seen tops from 250 - 450 ... anyone buy one they are happy/not happy with???

4. hugh

hugh Member

Late model rest gets my $$$!

5. wblynch

wblynch Active Member

Curious too. I want a canvass top with new back window of the best quality for my 1997.

6. wblynch

wblynch Active Member

Okay I did some research and asked questions of 4 manufacturers. EZ-On, Robbins, Kee Auto Tops and Convertible Top Guys (MT Mfg)

I noticed that some make the rear window with a ring around it (Robbins?) that might be stronger than original but the ring bulges out and looks terrible. So I asked who makes their rear window JUST LIKE original. Robbins and EZ-ON did not reply. MT Mfg said they use flat glass and believes no one has curved glass. Kee Auto tops said they have curved glass and make theirs 'JUST LIKE' original.

I have a feeling that MT MFG does a superb job on their tops but the flat glass scared me away.

So I ordered Kee from CJ Pony Parts in the original style 'Sailcloth Vinyl'. I don't want to have to worry about special care for a fabric top since this car has lived its entire life outside in the California sun.

Of course when it arrived, the rear window is made not at all like original. But it has curved glass and doesn't look bad... The top cover looks nice but I am not that happy with the construction. We will see when it all gets installed.

Just for the record, none of the suppliers has decent high quality photos of their products available and none would supply any. So it is nearly impossible to determine before buying what you will get.

From photos I have been able to find around the intertubes the Haartz Stayfast Fabric tops do seem to have a tighter, smoother fit and are probably worth the extra expense. I think they would be the choice for a garaged car which doesn't get bird droppings, tree sap and other contaminants all the time.

Also, this is the original top and lasted 18 years before the rear window curtain began to separate so I think a vinyl top is perfect for my car.