Converting fog lights to HID question

V6mustang94

Other than the bulb, is there any difference in converting fogs light to HIDs than converting the headlights?

I can't remember if the headlights use the same type of plug as the fog lights or not.

Aereon

WaiStang
Other than the bulb, is there any difference in converting fogs light to HIDs than converting the headlights?

I can't remember if the headlights use the same type of plug as the fog lights or not.

just different bulbs. But the installation is the exact same

V6mustang94

So before I waste my time confirming this for myself... I should be able to go out to my car right now, pull the fog light bulb out, and connect it to the head light connector. (Obviously I won't turn the head lights on. I don't know what would happen if I would but I don't want to mess up the bulb.)

If that's the case, I should be able to buy two HID head light kits, use one of the kits on my fog lights with the appropriate bulb, and it should work with no problems. Correct?

V6mustang94

the fogs have a different bulb than the headlights. you will need a differnt style of plug fro the hids.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hid-single-beam-kit-893.html

I know the bulb is different.

The ballast plugs into the ford factory connector and to the HID bulb.

Here's the picture I'm looking at.

I think I mixed something up in my earlier posts. So what I'm trying to figure out then is if a ballast for the headlights would also work for the fog lights. If that's the case I should be able to buy two headlight kits (one kit for the head lights and one kit for the fog lights). Correct.

TGUNS06GT

I wish I had a 900hp wing
you can use the ballasts but I am pretty sure you still have to use the correct bulb number. I know they wouldn't work on my car... since I was sent 9005 bulbs first so I tried to make it work and they wouldn't work.

I asked the company and they said all the ballasts are the same as far as single beams and dual beams are concerned.

V6mustang94

you can use the ballasts but I am pretty sure you still have to use the correct bulb number. I know they wouldn't work on my car... since I was sent 9005 bulbs first so I tried to make it work and they wouldn't work.

I asked the company and they said all the ballasts are the same as far as single beams and dual beams are concerned.

Ok, that's what I'm needing to know pretty much.

I'm completely aware that the bulbs are different. I just need to figure out if there is a fog light specific kit that needs a certain ballast and certain plugs.

TGUNS06GT

Ok, that's what I'm needing to know pretty much.

I'm completely aware that the bulbs are different. I just need to figure out if there is a fog light specific kit that needs a certain ballast and certain plugs.

Well for mine I didn't need to order a "fog light kit"... I just ordered 1 dual beam kit for my headlights and a single beam kit for my fogs.

I wasn't questioning your knowledge about the lights... I was just stating what I tried.

good luck getting it finished

V6mustang94

Well for mine I didn't need to order a "fog light kit"... I just ordered 1 dual beam kit for my headlights and a single beam kit for my fogs.

I wasn't questioning your knowledge about the lights... I was just stating what I tried.

good luck getting it finished

I forgot about that single beam dual beam thing. I would have ended up ordering two dual beams without thinking about it. Good thing you said something. :lol:

TGUNS06GT

I forgot about that single beam dual beam thing. I would have ended up ordering two dual beams without thinking about it. Good thing you said something. :lol:

LOL... dual beams are much more expensive so I'm glad I did too.

where are you getting your kits from?

TGUNS06GT

I'm trying to find a kit Mysteed uses that he got off ebay.

that's who I used...

I wouldn't use them.... they sent me the wrong kit 2 times and the 3rd time they finally sent me the right bulbs but the were not compeletely finished when I got them(missing crucial piece to bulb)

Plus, the ballasts are a little big. I've seen other bulbs ballasts were way smaller and easier hidden.

V6mustang94

that's who I used...

I wouldn't use them.... they sent me the wrong kit 2 times and the 3rd time they finally sent me the right bulbs but the were not compeletely finished when I got them(missing crucial piece to bulb)

Plus, the ballasts are a little big. I've seen other bulbs ballasts were way smaller and easier hidden.

Well I don't really want to shell out 300-400 dollars on a couple HID kits. Maybe you just got really unlucky. From what I've heard it sounds like MySteed is very happy with his. So I don't know.

TGUNS06GT

Well I don't really want to shell out 300-400 dollars on a couple HID kits. Maybe you just got really unlucky. From what I've heard it sounds like MySteed is very happy with his. So I don't know.

I ordered mine from the actual company.... not the ebay member. maybe that's where I went wrong. Who knows

Did you find them yet?

here is the actual site http://vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html

Here is the ebay member page
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZflashplus

mysteed

is back!
Eh, they are about average IMO. If you can't hide them easily then perhaps you need to try a little harder.:uhh:

Very happy. I'll be getting a HID foglight kit as soon as the funds are available.:thumbup:

V6mustang94

Very happy. I'll be getting a HID foglight kit as soon as the funds are available.:thumbup:

Is there one you recommend?

I'm not sure I'm going to convert to HIDs soon or wait until next mod season. It got really cold here all of a sudden so I had to go out and buy some hoodies for this winter :thumbdown:

mysteed

is back!
I bought from mydepot (or mydepots) on eBay but it's the same price to get them straight from the source (the link was posted above).

Tiffany97

Im glad you asked this question, im doing the same. So it sounds like two headlights kits will do it, just buy different bulbs for the fogs.

TGUNS06GT

Eh, they are about average IMO. If you can't hide them easily then perhaps you need to try a little harder.:uhh:

well I don't have a 6 so I don't have a HUGE amount of room to hide stuff:lol:

In all seriousness.... I'll be able to hide them a little better than they are right now but you'll still be able to see them. It was getting really late so we just mounted them somewhere quick

I was comparing size to bill's. he got the kit from AM and my ballast are about 3x's larger than his.