Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cool air intake

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by jsrmr37, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jsrmr37

jsrmr37 New Member

What's the cool air intake filter for? What is it useful for?

2. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

Do you have a product you're specifically referring to? Or are you just asking what a cold air intake does vs the stock intake system?

3. jsrmr37

jsrmr37 New Member

No nothing specific. Just what does the cold air intake vs the stock intake system

4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

The average cold air intake (CAI) is just tubing with flanges to mount the original MAF sensor and, if present, temperature sensor. Its possible there would be gains in power, but do not expect tangible benefits, The induction noises also change.

The more expensive options may take into account some legitimate fluid dynamics, and they're purdy.

Brent and GreenStang13 like this.
  5. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

The thought is that stock intakes often draw warm engine bay air in and cool air is more dense so you'd get more power out of ambient air drawn from the fender. In practice it's not all that effective.

6. 13v6

13v6 Member

Your car technically come with a cold air intake. Check where you're drawing the air from. Right behind the grille. When you add an aftermarket CAI, it's drawing air from the exact same place. Through the exact same snorkel. They really should just be called open air intakes or open air filters. They're mostly bought for looks and the added sound. Airaid does make a tube, without the baffles, that attaches to the original airbox which will do everything the open air intakes do.
    There are cars out there that will benefit greatly from a CAI. Those are the cars that draw air from inside the engine compartment. Put a CAI on there and get air from more outside the compartment. That will be cooler, denser air (contains more O2). Ford is adding a lot of stock 'mods' to the cars that people used to make for performance gains. While they make it harder to make more power, the cars come with more power already.

7. audioAl

audioAl Coyote Red

I have had the "Tube by Airaid" for 3 months and like the added sound, now I need to tune my pony to see the added horsepower. tn_Yokohama 275's & Airaid tube 004.JPG