Coolant Leak Where?

xtrememustang1

Been like this for a while now. Maybe 2-3 drops per day coming from about the middle of the engine... then to the left about a foot. It's so small that I haven't had to put any fluid back in yet, but I just wanted to see where you guys think it's coming from. Has me concerned that maybe it's the head gasket, but I'm not sure.

It leaks hot or cold. It's been sitting since last weekend and last night I put a cup under the leak. It only had a single drop in it this morning. I'm just not sure what else to check for to determine where its coming from.

xtrememustang1

After Feeling around this morning... I don't think it's coming from the bottom of the engine... it's coming from the middle somewhere. The top half is dry from what I can tell (I have it all painted flat black so I would be able to tell if it was wet). If I put some kind of good stop leak into the cooling system... would this help?

mustang024

Check your water pump it may be going bad!!! It has a weep hole that discharges fluid when starting to fail

xtrememustang1

Check your water pump it may be going bad!!! It has a weep hole that discharges fluid when starting to fail

Never thought about that... I checked around the entire unit and the hole. Everything is pretty dry.

The highest wet spot I could physically feel is about 5 inches behind and 5 inches south of the water pump. I can stick my hand behind the pulley/belt system in the front of the engine about 5 inches behind/south of the water pump, feel around and you can eventually feel a small wet spot. Pull your hand out and it's green. The same stuff that drips into the cup.

infantry

just replaced my water pump today/ found out the hoes on top of the water pump that goes under the intake is leaking. need to get a new one. its leaking were it connects to the water pump. it leaks down onto the oil pan behind the harmonic balancer. try cheking that.

ps, anyone know what hose that is called and an approx. guess of cost??? thanks

The leak may be comeing from the timing cover. Alot of people never think of that. I had this problem as well and that was the outcome.

mickey_bigdaddy

So mine is leaking in this area. But I don't know what it is called. It is the part that bolts onto the block that the cam syncronizer is assembled in. The leak is not the water pump. What is that part?

kobudo

So mine is leaking in this area. But I don't know what it is called. It is the part that bolts onto the block that the cam syncronizer is assembled in. The leak is not the water pump. What is that part?

Sounds like you're talking about the timing belt cover.

mickey_bigdaddy

Yes after research that is it, the timing belt cover. I assume it is just leaking through the bolts??? Where else could the water be coming from.

kobudo

Probably the water pump. It's sitting right there. And if it's spinning, it can get coolant pretty much anywhere and everywhere on the front of the engine, depending on how bad the leak is. Either the gasket or the internal seal can be leaking.