1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Current draw from rear defroster

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by KTBug, Dec 10, 2001.

1. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

When I turn my rear defroster on while idling, the RPMs drop. How many amps is this thing pulling out of my battery? It's like the engine wants to die. A little off topic for "Electronics", but will I be ok with an UD pulley if the rear def pulls that much current?

2. DBL0stang

DBL0stang This is how to take up 25

This problem seems very odd. Your car should stay running even without the battery.

I went to check the resistance of my defroster but I left my meter on a job today. My backup has dead batteries. If you could check yours we can use Ohms law. Be sure to disconnect it when checking.

3. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

Where would you check the resistance? Is there a "plug" in the rear window?

4. DBL0stang

DBL0stang This is how to take up 25

Well my plug is back there but I have a vert, I would think your is back there also in case you needed a new rear window.

5. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

Thanks!! I'll check it tomorrow afternoon and let you know what I find.

6. 95rio_red_stang

95rio_red_stang Too much isn't enough.

i went out and checked mine and the rpms stayed pretty much the same. So...i dunno what to say.

7. John

John Ex-Legend Supporting Member

I havent tried it with the rear defrost. but my idle will adjust by like 300 rpms by rolling the window up... or holding down the roll up switch on both windows after they are rolled.. same goes when i use the door lock..

Most of that stopped when i installed my capacitor, because my rpms would jump by 500 at idle when i played a song with some deep bass. ( from my aftermarket stereo.. 2 12"s..)