Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cyclone 3.7 fantasy ideas/questions

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Echonan, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

So for a long time I've loved the 3.7 because it's finally a v6 that I feel can be respected in stock form. So I've had a dream fantasyland idea that I just wanted to spitball with people who know more about engines than me. Being that the cyclone is dohc and already can rev decently high from the factory (7000 rpm), how feasible do you guys think it would be to say stroke it to a 4.0 with the forged rotating assembly from SSM, add better heads, cams, intake porting, 11:1 compression forged pistons, possibly valves???, and make a beastly N/A "race car" style engine that could rev to say 8000 and still make power? What supporting mods would be necessary? The stuff I listed more or less? Just curious, I love to learn and come up with ideas.

Also if anybody really wants to throw some fantasy ideas around with me what would be required to swap a 3.7 into a New Edge mustang? There WAS a guy on here swapping one into his foxbody but that thread seems to have died???

2. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

3. kylexkilljoy

kylexkilljoy V6 Mustang Guru

Too much money - Boost IT

4. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I'm pretty sure I wrote fantasy all over this post. I just want to know what would go into making an engine like that. Obviously it's not free.

5. 2011 Kona Blue

2011 Kona Blue Active Member

Why is this site so gosh darn dead?

6. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I've noticed that as well. The only time I saw it pick up was when I asked about my 4.3 project and another guys swap and some guys gearing. I really thought I'd find some more knowledge or somebody willing to give me some info on here. I feel like the only active engine community on here revolves around the old 3.8 pushrod engine.

7. kylexkilljoy

What question are you asking?

8. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I guess what you think it would take to make an all out n/a beast cyclone. Ideally it would Rev to 8000 or more. Just curious what would go into making a motor like that.

9. kylexkilljoy

You really answered your own questions.... Good bottom ends, good valvetrain, and heads to support it most likely cams. They already are revving to 7k

10. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Driver mod first. This whole thread indicates you've not had a lot of time behind the wheel in any form of competitive driving.

How do you know you don't want a torque monster instead of something so high strung?

Aside from modifying a pretty good engine, worry more about getting one and then fitting it. That alone may well be a year long project.

11. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

Well you're right I haven't had the opportunity for much competitive driving, however I asked the question for the reason of wanting to learn and being curious what it would take not because I'm building a race car. I do know that I eventually want to swap a cyclone into my new edge, however what I do after that is anybody's guess.

12. TuxMask-Andy

TuxMask-Andy Turbo Guru

super six motorsports is doing cool stuff with the cyclone engine. Porting out those heads to flow more then 300 cfm! stock is around 250ish cfm. Swapping the engine will be a difficult task since there is not much support. I highly recommend getting a full donor part car and transplant stuff over. That's the easiest route.

However you got the time and patience and your a gear head than anything is possible.

Echonan likes this.
  13. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I've seen that! That's definitely one of the things I was thinking would make my idea possible, I bet if I called them they could build an engine like that no problem. Only problem would be my wallet.

Yea was definitely hoping to see how you did your build. I really can't figure out what would be needed in terms of electrical and if it would even run after I swapped everything. SO hard to find info on this kind of swap because nobody swaps it. The k member and motor mounts would take care of the fitment basically. I'd be using the manual transmission for sure so that might simplify a little. Probably need custom driveshaft. Not sure what's needed for fueling. Can't figure out what has to be done for the electrical. That's where I'm at in my mental build lol

14. dstaff

dstaff Active Member

Ported heads, serious intake manifold work, cams with the correct amount of duration so you're actually still making power at 8k, and valve springs to support it. Those are the major focal points if you're wanting to build a bona-fide race engine. Aside from that, you'll want premium components in the bottom end with top-notch machining/assembly so the whole thing doesn't grenade on it's first outing. If I was looking to build an engine with higher rpm as a goal, I would seriously consider avoiding the "stroker" route.

Still Bill and Echonan like this.
  15. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

The only reason I considered the 4.0 kit is because the extra compression PLUS displacement i figured might help make some more power. But yea i know stroking is generally not good with rpms.

16. dstaff

dstaff Active Member

If making more power in the rpm range of a typical street/strip engine is your goal, then going the stroker route would likely be worthwhile.

Echonan likes this.
  17. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

Well to be fair SSM's long rod stroker kit is actually considered very good for high rpms as I understand it. However that might be a different principle than the 3.7 to 4.0 kit.

18. frankp

frankp Member

This is not a fantasy. This is my reality I've been working with ST MOTORSPORTS for over 3 years on getting this done. A few more weeks for dyno tuning after the Meth injection install should do it. Car has a Procharger and is stroked out to 4 liters. Crank was stroked and block bored out. Crower cams, and larger valves, double springs. Lots of head reworking. Super six ported intake Too much more to go into, but so far this beast revs to 8000 rpms no problem. We should be done by December.

Echonan likes this.
  19. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

You HAVE to keep me updated on this. Can I find any more info on this somewhere? My original idea was N/A but I still very much wanna see this

20. Still Bill

Still Bill Happy New Mustang Owner