Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DELL 20" or 24" Monitors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hossein, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

Does anyone have a Dell 20" or 24" widescreen monitor?

Im looking into getting a Dell 2x20" or 1x24" because I can't afford the Apple Cinema Displays.

If you have one of these monitor..Please let me know if you like it or not and what you like about it and don't like about it.

Also...how is the color? is it rich and vibrant? is it TOO brigh of a display (what i've been reading).

Also...you think i should get 2x20" or 1x24" ..... I need a new monitor soon as my CRT is about to take a dump on me...im in no position to really get a new monitor...but if I have to get one...i would rahter do it right the first time.

thanks.

2. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

For the 20" version, Dell and Apple both use the same panel - just a different housing and different electronics. I believe Samsung manufactures the panel in both cases.

I'd have no problem going with the Dell versions of either. I've used them both and been very happy with them.

2x20 or 1x24 really is more of a personal decision and depends what type of work you do. For gaming I'd say 1x24 is a better bet. For productivity I'd probably rather have 2x20 myself.

3. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

What does the 1x24" and 2x20" mean exactly? I realize the second number is the size of the screen.

4. nikko

He's asking if he should get two 20" monitors or one 24" monitor.

5. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

Ah. Makes sense. What is the price difference between those two options? :confused:

6. nikko

Not sure exactly. Probably about the same. I think the 20 inchers go for ~$350 and the 24" is around $700.

7. Jiggab00

Jiggab00 Well-Known Member

Dell 24's normally go for between 600-700. 20's depending on which model I've seen as low as 230ish and as high as 350ish....so they'd be pretty close in price....

8. DJItalianICE

DJItalianICE VQ30DE

Right now, I'm using the 14" screen on my laptop and my 19" AGM monitor and couldn't be happier.

Consider that the 24" might have the same resolution as the 20" so everything will appear bigger (maybe too big).

9. nikko

20" is 1680x1050, 24" is 1900x1280.

10. Usefulidiot127

Usefulidiot127 Go Illini

I have the Dell 2007WFP, the 20 inch widescreen. Its amazing, godly you might say. Nikko by the way, Dell uses two different panels in the same model monitor. The 2007WFP employs both LG and Samsung panels, S-IPS, and S-PVA respectively. Dell consumers refer to this as the panel lottery, since its basically 100% random. S-IPS is usually thought of as the better one, thats what I have right now.

The early revisions of the 2007WFP were plagued with color banding, My monitor is revision 3 right now and I notice zero problems with it. I got mine for 360 shipped last month. I'm using this monitor in conjunction with an old 17 inch lcd as my secondary monitor. Someday I'd like to add a second 2007WFP. Widescreen owns.

I'd go two twenties personally. Though gaming in 24 inch would be tight.

Dell makes two 20 inch widescreen panels, One is about 50-60 dollars cheaper. The cheaper one uses a cheaper panel type, and lacks some of the inputs the more expensive one has.

11. Gcrop

Gcrop Grit and Grind

Stupid question and bare with me. Would you need two video cards for two monitors? Is that different than a graphics card?

12. chaoticdismay

chaoticdismay the rippin and the tearin

the same can be said for the 24"ers, they are in the third revision (A03). lemme find a link i saw a couple months back. dell had the A03 out and to get rid of the A02s they were putting stickers over the A02 and people were pissed cause they thought theyd be getting the newer (possibly fixed/better) panel.

13. Jiggab00

Jiggab00 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you can buy a single card that supports dual monitors. And as far as I know video card/graphics card = same thing.

14. Corrupted

Corrupted don't be a suck-up...

You need a card with dual output, most motherboards can't support two video cards, and the SLI boards i'm not sure if they support using both cards independently.

oh, i have the 2005FPW by the way, it's just the model before 2007FPW, love this thing most awesome **** ever :D

15. investinwaffles

investinwaffles 3.8's Other Indian™

the 24" runs at the same resolution as my laptop. i absolutely love my screen :love:

16. chaoticdismay

chaoticdismay the rippin and the tearin

well i cant find the post on the dell forum, but supposedly chris m (a mod) was going into a metting and was going to come back and tell everyone what the changes were in the a03 revision. but here are a couple link 1 and link2

17. ccasey522

ccasey522 Per varios casus

I have the 24" at work. it works great but is rather bright. i dropped the brightness down to about 55% i think. I'm running 1-17" and one 24" and I probably do 80% of my work on the 24". the 17 will be restricted to email and messaging once Office 2007 comes out.

18. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

Thanks for all the input!

1) Yes, i will be running off a switch to a MAC and a PC...but of which have Dual DVI Outputs

2) I will NOT be using this for gaming...100% productivity..mainly image editing, design (print), and some video

3) I realize that the 20" & 30" dell & apple use the same panel...and I know the 24" uses PVA...... no my questions are:

a) If i order 2x20"...what happens if I get 1x S-IPS (which is better
    for color) and 1x S-PVA (which is not better for color)?

b) Can I actually call up dell and ask them to ship me REV. 03
    WHICH S-IPS or is that not allowed?

I have done lots of research on this..but after 3 weeks...still can't really decide what to do..

Should I just get a $30 crt and wait a little longer till I can afford the 23" (already calibrated) Apple Display?

ALSO PLEASE KEEP IN MIND....If i get the the DELL monitor(s), I will HAVE TO get a Spyder2 to calibrate it (which is like $100)......if I get the Apple Display.....i can save on this $100.

thoughts?

19. Usefulidiot127

Usefulidiot127 Go Illini

You can't call and request a certain panel for the 20 inch, I know this for a fact. However my friend got stuck with a PVA. He just made up some BS about color banding and got it replaced and ended up with a S-IPS. You have a 30 day guarantee, if not a 3 year guarantee, so why not keep getting it replaced till you got what you want. Its advanced exchange so you never are without a monitor and never have to ship anything, they pick it up.

I had a dead pixel and got my 20 inch replaced once, painless process. I had a revision 2 SIPS. Got it replaced with a revision 3 sips. Whats this spyder2 you speak of?

20. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

See....thats what I really dont want to deal with. I hate returns..I know they pick it up and all...its just "one other thing on your mind" you know?

I really dont' want to get stuck with a PVA...that would really suck.

The Sypder2 is a Calibration tool. The dell monitors are not factory calibrated, which is why colors are rather dull and too bright (even if you reduce the brightness) compared to the Apple Cinema Display we use @ work.

You can also use it to calibrate your tv and ****