Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

DIY Ceramic Coated Headers

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by The_Red_Stig, Oct 22, 2017.

  1. The_Red_Stig

    The_Red_Stig New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2017
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Hey guys, so just wanted to share real quick the little project I've been working on the past week. I got a dirt cheap pair of Hedman Headers for 99-02 V6 Stangs without A.I.R. injection part #: 88290 on ebay a few weeks back. I paid $80 including shipping (I don't think I could get used replacement manifolds for that price), so even though I'm unsure about the quality of these headers, I don't have much to lose. They were uncoated headers so of course they had some rust but were otherwise in good shape. I decided to do a DIY ceramic coating to prevent them from rusting again. I started by making an electrolysis tank to remove all rust on the headers. The great thing about this method is it is easy and completely hands free after the initial setup of the tank. It also does a very thorough job and will only remove rust without harming the metal underneath. After leaving the headers in the tank for 48 hrs. or so, I then prepped the bare metal with grease and wax remover, taped off the mating surfaces to avoid get paint on them, roughed up the surface with a scuff pad and then applied multiple thin coats of VHT flameproof primer. After giving the primer 24 hrs. to dry, I applied the flameproof paint. After about 4 coats I cured the paint in an oven according to the directions. The VHT flameproof paint is supposed to be good for temps up to 1200-2000F. I know this isn't as good as professionally coated ceramic headers but it was a fun project and for less than $150 total including building the electrolysis tank I have a DIY set of ceramic coated shorty headers. These uncoated headers alone retail for $250, the ceramic ones are over $500. This is the results, let me know what you guys think.

    1010171641b[1].jpg 1010171641a[1].jpg 1012170836[1].jpg 1013171021a[1].jpg 1012171622a[1].jpg 1012171657a[1].jpg 1013171503[1].jpg 1017171654[2].jpg 1017171654a[1].jpg 1017171655[1].jpg 1017171655a[1].jpg
     
    pixapusho likes this.
  2. 76Highboy

    76Highboy Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2016
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Nice job. Looks great. Will be interesting to see how it holds up.
     
  3. Lonnie-S

    Lonnie-S Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Yes, very nice, indeed.

    Cheers,
     
  4. JTsStang

    JTsStang Boosted V6

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2008
    Messages:
    3,351
    Likes Received:
    58
    Trophy Points:
    58
    Location:
    East Coast
    Very Nice! I would of paid $80 just for the flanges lol.