Diy holset turbo build

mustang024

Well it's been long overdue and I have aquired most of the parts to get this thing started! It's a 2001 5 speed I picked up for $1000 bux w/ 71k miles. She ran good when I bought her, the outside was rough and this is purely a budget/no frills build. I have minimal tools no garage or lift!
I plan to run 10 psi spring with a MBC and crank her to 12-14psi shooting for 375rwhp. Turbo is a HY35 with a 9cm2 turbine housing which is equivalent to a .63 or so. Should be a good street turbo, full boost by 2800 hopefully.

I will be running an ebay wastegate and bov from wyntonm... i know I know but figured I would give them a shot first. Heard good things about them on the turboforums. Also running a Cx racing bar and plate 31X12X3 pretty sure, forgot exact specs bought it so long ago. I also have a set of 60 lb injectors and a 310lph focus pump will do the fpdm mod to bump up the DC.
Tuning still up in the air but pretty sure it will be Moated Quaterhorse or possibly megasquirt.

driverside.jpgclearances.jpgclearance 4.jpgclearance 2.jpg

mustang024

This is what I got done today with the spare time after work, isn't much but progress is progress! I know in the first pick there is a big gap between the pipes. I am going to reweld it closer when I get back out there. Going to wait for a buddy to drop by and give me a hand so I can tack these at the right angles and flush. The last pic is when I originally bought the car and the pic before that is my ghetto $60 dollar plasti dip paint job:uhh: It looks better than the ****ty primer job the guy before me did. If and when the motor blows she will get a legit paint job.

crossover1.jpgcrossover2.jpgcrossover3.jpgcrossover4.jpgcrossover5.jpgplastidip1.jpgstang1.jpg

xtreme 2

Beware on that CX Racing intercooler. Buddy was using it on his Mach and it was extremely restrictive. Switched to a Treadstone 4" thick FMIC and gained 4 psi!

V6procharged

thats because he went to a 4" thick. not a huge deal with low boost. especially a turbo, it wont have any boost drop.

little late making a thread over here aye? :lol:

mustang024

Finally have the crossover complete, well for the most part. I still have to mount the wastegate and fill in pinholes in the welds and grind down all the slag. I just wanted to weld most of it for a test fitment to make sure nothing deformed and it would mount up right.

The damn turbo is a bitch to clock being its rusted to the center section. It has a Vband connection which i doused with PB blaster and hit it with a mallet for about 10 minutes and won't budge. I will have to bring it into work and use the vise hopefully I can break it loose. Thats whats holding me up now, once I clock it I can mount the turbo and finish the piping to it.

I think I am going to run a 2.5" DP instead of 3" reason being funds are low as I got slammed with hospital bills recently and I have a bunch of 2.5" pipe left and two 3" looks like it will be tight. DO you guys think it will hurt anything?

Also I didn't add a flex pipe and had to fill in some gaps where the pipes meet in the middle on the crossover, do you guys think this will crack? I see alot of 5.0 ponydown kits built this way and they are holding up. I think I will run a brace for the turbo off the A/C bracket like shonogo.

I tell you torres was right it's like a roller coaster building this kit. I am now starting to get excited seeing it come together. Just have to work in the primary and the hotside preturbo is pretty much done.
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

mustang024

Turbo is finally tacked into position, now I have to clock the chra for correct oil drain angle. Next I am going to work on the DP but i have to mod the existing holset exhaust flange. I am going to drill a hole where the internal wastegate flapper would be centered and put a bolt there to keep it shut. I still have to order a drain hose and tap the pan, I was waiting until turbo was mounted to measure. Still alot more to do but getting there.
turbo fit 1.jpg
turbo fit 2.jpg
turbo fit 3.jpg

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
So is there any reason you can't put the turbo further back? Not knocking it but just wanting to see if you could if you wanted to. That is close to where I am making plans to put one.

Also, if you can convert your flux welder to mig...do it. I made the conversion about a year ago and welding is now fun and rewarding instead of frustrating and ugly. Not saying anything negative about your welding, just passing along a tip that made my life much better.

mustang024

keeping the egr?what part of li are you

I am deleting egr, less crap in the bay . I am near exit 52 on sunrise hwy. You from L.I.??

So is there any reason you can't put the turbo further back? Not knocking it but just wanting to see if you could if you wanted to. That is close to where I am making plans to put one.

Also, if you can convert your flux welder to mig...do it. I made the conversion about a year ago and welding is now fun and rewarding instead of frustrating and ugly. Not saying anything negative about your welding, just passing along a tip that made my life much better.

I could put it further back but this lines up perfect with the airfilter access hole. I do not want to hack up the sheetmetal(other then nip that grounding tab near the comp housing.) so I chose to run it this far up. I didn't want to mount it close to the motor ( where a/c was) because I plan to run the coldside over there. Eventually I will do the windstar swap so I want the routing to be done that way so all i have to do is switch intakes and maybe cut one piece of pipe.

I did not get a welder with a gas conversion. I got a cheap ass hobo freight welder, I will be doing alot of welding ,grinding,and more grinding!!! Although the welds look like **** I will be happy that they hold pressure. I am going to paint parts with BBQ paint and then fiberwrap so they will not be seen. I eventually will get myself a decent welding setup with gas, would be a treat to not have to constantly grind down slag.

Although the design is not great, it will get the job done for what I am looking for. When I blow the motor thats when the real fun will start. I will be going forged 4.2 and redo the system for better flow and aesthetics.

mustang024

Misspoke They do run flex sections in the crossovers.... I have seached so many build threads on turboforums that I cannot keep track of them with all. I have saw many 5.0 kits built with no crossover and with a frame mounted turbo flange and they have yet to crack. If it happens with mine then I will put a flex in at that time.

I didn't know you had a turbo stang, I never saw a build thread by you here or on v6p.