Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Dreaded 1999/2000 3.8L Pinging & How To Eliminate

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by V6 Stang Tuner, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

James,
    Yes the fumes are virtually gone and performance is really good for a V6. This car is an excellent daily driver with 185,000 miles on the clock.

James Carr likes this.
  2. V6 Stang Tuner

V6 Stang Tuner New Member

Are you using a different type of pvc valve with your catch can setup?
    What did you soak the upper intake in when you put it in the tub overnight?

3. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

You use the same factory type pcv valve with the catch can setup and just use any spray type engine degreaser and once you apply it, let it soak in for 15 minutes and use an old toothbrush to scrub insides of the ports. Also spray the cleaner deep into the ports and this is when I let it soak for awhile. After several hours, hose it all out with high pressure water and let it dry in the sun.

James Carr and V6 Stang Tuner like this.
  4. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

I would recommend picking up a Haynes manual for your car as it shows you the proper sequence for torqueing the 12 upper intake bolts. I did not use a torque wrench, but just tightened by hand and went through the sequence 3X to make sure all were snug.

James Carr likes this.
  5. V6 Stang Tuner

Working on this today, here is some pics :

6. V6 Stang Tuner

Lower intake pic 1537728474875.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  7. V6 Stang Tuner

8. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

Stang Tuner,
    Looks like you should hit the throttle body butterfly with throttle body cleaner (this is the safe stuff that will not erode the coating on the butterfly) and then carefully remove the carbon out of your intake. When you have it all back together with the Husky Catch Can installed, do a seafoam treatment through a port in the intake and then just drive the car. You will enjoy the improvement!

V6 Stang Tuner likes this.
  9. V6 Stang Tuner

Update :results have been great with the cleaning of the upper and lower intake, carbon deposits were pretty bad. Reduced the pinging to almost nothing and drives much smoother and responsive. I'd recommend this as the most important item when wanting to reduce pinging. Oil blowby from the PCV line to upper intake and the passenger valve cover to air intake line carbon up the intakes. Also can clean up the Throttle body, IAC, and EGR while the upper intake is off. One more pic :

Attached Files:

10. V6 Stang Tuner

Cleaned it all up, thanks again for your help, its made a huge difference with the intake cleaning. Still have to seafoam it.

I saw in another thread you had breathers on at first instead of the catch can - why did you go to the catch can instead?

11. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

Stang Tuner - good to hear of your positive results! Yes I had the breathers in each valve cover but I was getting a strong odor of oil fumes when the engine heated up. So I went to the catch can routed from driver's side valve cover and still have the small breather in the passenger side with no negative effects.

12. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

Stang Tuner - I need to clarify my response in regards to the breathers in valve covers. So even after cleaning the carbon deposits out of the intake, by running just the breathers in the valve cover I was venting the crankcase to the atmosphere, so some of those fumes would travel into the cabin of the car. The catch can eliminates this as well as keeping the oil residue from diluting the air/fuel mixture into the engine.

13. V6 Stang Tuner

Thanks for the clarification. I know what you mean about the fumes, older cars pre pcv systems had a long tube running under the vehicle for that reason from info I've read.

I've read even some catch cans can still let residue pass into the upper intake and some have had pinging return after a year or two so some seem reluctant to feed into the manifold again and stick with the breathers. How long have you had the Husky setup on?

14. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

I have had the catch can installed since 10/30/2017, which means approximately 6000 miles. When burning 87 octane, I would get occasional detonation on highway entrance ramps turning 2500-3000 rpms, dependent upon outside temps and humidity levels. So I went to 89 octane, and get zero pinging and the car seems to like it. I am sure my engine is still somewhat dirty from the previous owner(s) poorly maintaining the car for 174,000 miles and not addressing the introductions of oil deposits into the intake tract, but today, I am pleased with how the car runs and it gets better the more I drive it. I opened up the catch can a month ago and cleaned out the mesh filter I have in there, and the amount of oil I took out was nominal.

15. V6 Stang Tuner

Used a Seafoam type carbon killer product from Duralube today, car runs even smoother now, think I've gotten rid of the carbon deposits now finally. IMG_20181013_164127.jpeg

16. Joe Stein

Joe Stein Member

Stang Tuner - good to hear of your success. It's pretty cool to come up with a remedy to fix an auto manufacturer's engineering defect.

17. V6 Stang Tuner

Yes, hopefully this thread will help others keep these 3.8L V6 Stangs on the road. I'm sure the lady I bought mine from thought the car was just old and tired with all the pinging it had. Even with higher mileage this V6 pulls strong and runs so smoothly now!

18. V6 Stang Tuner

Just an FYI for others :

Re the updated valve cover for 99/00 3.8L Mustangs, I just saw this info today :

If the valve cover on the drivers side has a white sticker on it that means the valve cover has been changed to the updated improved one (this didn't stop mine from pinging however as mine had it when I bought it but it helps a bit).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 8:04 PM
  19. Serpent

Serpent Active Member

same one I have used on several cars for years. have one on my son's v6 and one on my cobra. works fine. I always glue the valve shut at the bottom as some of them tend to leak when shut.

upload_2018-11-11_14-9-29.png