Drifting

V6PowerStang

Bah Humbug
drifting's a great way to get a date with a brick wall or kill people. it's a stupid kiddie phase of street racing that is more hype than function. and for thsoe that say, "well it doesn't wear your brakes!"... tires cost a lot more than brake pads my friends! :)

PhantAZN

Taste The AZN
our cars most likely wouldnt be too good at drifting, our suspension is way too soft and lacks precision. now powerslides, we're good with those :D

PhantAZN

Taste The AZN
V6PowerStang said:
drifting's a great way to get a date with a brick wall or kill people. it's a stupid kiddie phase of street racing that is more hype than function. and for thsoe that say, "well it doesn't wear your brakes!"... tires cost a lot more than brake pads my friends! :)

you must not be familiar with REAL drifting you see in japan. the idiots here who claim to drift are just that, idiots. too much fast and furious for them

mantis3024

I drift in my 944 everytime it snows/rains. I would not recommend you drift in the mustang. I've tried it and the car is just not built for it. If you do decide to try it, be sure to do it in an empty parking lot with nothing around you. Light posts and trees are not your friends. Also its best when the ground is wet so theres less friction so less wear on your tires

Stalker_Stang

Not Fast But No One Knows
mantis3024 said:
I drift in my 944 everytime it snows/rains. I would not recommend you drift in the mustang. I've tried it and the car is just not built for it. If you do decide to try it, be sure to do it in an empty parking lot with nothing around you. Light posts and trees are not your friends. Also its best when the ground is wet so theres less friction so less wear on your tires
Indeed, light posts are evil :mad: I figured that out $6000 and 6 points later...

Drifting is the art of making your car face the inside of the curve, sliding in the entrance and exit of the curve regaining control on a straightaway.The one reason I am building a FC3S(Gen II RX7)is to drift at the track and learn better car control and technique to enter the Touring class out west. I have drifted a few times, only 2x's in my Mustang and it is possible BUT your car has to have proper balance control,susption settings..ect.)Now the only way to drift in your Mustang (empty parking lot, no gravel,water,light poll's or cars around) is turn off Traction control, warm up the tire's and I will leave a link of various techniques you can use to pull a drift off. Also set up some cones and drift around them. But first I would advise you try drifting in a older 240sx(Manual of course), older RX7,Older Corolla GT-S(Levin or Trueno)and such various RWD layout's. I learned in a 240sx and it took some time. Also if you do attempt your Mustang, you'll need a manual. The only way I drifted my automatic was using the High Race speed drift at 40 mph and counter steered to the right then a soft turn of the wheel to the right while locking the back wheel's and let me say this sucked. Our Mustang's have Traction control and ABS and it very hard to drift in, plus like the other's said the suspension is to soft and the rear end is to tight to swing around unless you are in the rain and the problem with rain, dirt or snow is you will need experience in driving in them and know what it is like to loose control. But please do not attempt to drift in your Mustang until you have mastered drifting. Try doing small donut's and spinning around at slow speed's so you know what it is like and won't panic.Alway's use your head,Drifting is danergous and take's time to perfect and master!BTW I'd start with the Initial D series from Ebay(Animetoys-60 buck's for first stage, second stage, third stage, battle stage and extra stage) or you can buy the $19.99 3 episode series (episode 1-9) from Suncoast by Tokoyo pop but it isn't worth it. And also you can go to a local book store and buy the drift bible and drift king's movies in some book store's. Drifting is a very powerful technique used by the Japanese to make "Tongue" or circle track racing fair and it is used to show the driver skill. If you wish to obtain anymore knowledge I am aculy doing a mini book on this subject with a few of my friend's who had mastered drifting and will send a copy via e-mail when I finished if you wish. My name is Dustin you can reach me at [email protected] if you want to know more :).But please do not attempt this on the street and have a experienced older person with you if you try in a parking lot or track.

Jesse

The Voice of Reason
I drifted across 3 lanes into oncoming traffic, ohh wait that was hydroplaned. :crazy:

mantis3024

XMustangx2002 said:
Drifting is the art of making your car face the inside of the curve, sliding in the entrance and exit of the curve regaining control on a straightaway.The one reason I am building a FC3S(Gen II RX7)is to drift at the track and learn better car control and technique to enter the Touring class out west. I have drifted a few times, only 2x's in my Mustang and it is possible BUT your car has to have proper balance control,susption settings..ect.)Now the only way to drift in your Mustang (empty parking lot, no gravel,water,light poll's or cars around) is turn off Traction control, warm up the tire's and I will leave a link of various techniques you can use to pull a drift off. Also set up some cones and drift around them. But first I would advise you try drifting in a older 240sx(Manual of course), older RX7,Older Corolla GT-S(Levin or Trueno)and such various RWD layout's. I learned in a 240sx and it took some time. Also if you do attempt your Mustang, you'll need a manual. The only way I drifted my automatic was using the High Race speed drift at 40 mph and counter steered to the right then a soft turn of the wheel to the right while locking the back wheel's and let me say this sucked. Our Mustang's have Traction control and ABS and it very hard to drift in, plus like the other's said the suspension is to soft and the rear end is to tight to swing around unless you are in the rain and the problem with rain, dirt or snow is you will need experience in driving in them and know what it is like to loose control. But please do not attempt to drift in your Mustang until you have mastered drifting. Try doing small donut's and spinning around at slow speed's so you know what it is like and won't panic.Alway's use your head,Drifting is danergous and take's time to perfect and master!BTW I'd start with the Initial D series from Ebay(Animetoys-60 buck's for first stage, second stage, third stage, battle stage and extra stage) or you can buy the $19.99 3 episode series (episode 1-9) from Suncoast by Tokoyo pop but it isn't worth it. And also you can go to a local book store and buy the drift bible and drift king's movies in some book store's. Drifting is a very powerful technique used by the Japanese to make "Tongue" or circle track racing fair and it is used to show the driver skill. If you wish to obtain anymore knowledge I am aculy doing a mini book on this subject with a few of my friend's who had mastered drifting and will send a copy via e-mail when I finished if you wish. My name is Dustin you can reach me at [email protected] if you want to know more :).But please do not attempt this on the street and have a experienced older person with you if you try in a parking lot or track.

O wow..an Initial D inspired drifter :rolleyes: . DO NOT learn from any japanese tv series or book. You have to learn it for yourself in your car. You can call it an art, I just call it fun. You CAN drift in ANY RWD car, wait, you can drift in ANY car. Its just a matter of effort put into it. The best drift cars are RWD coupes with good balance and weight distribution. The mustang is long and heavy. Yes traction control will hinder your efforts but I think the 99+s have that button where you can turn off traction control. I've drifted in my mustang before, it can be done. Also, its just as easy to drift with an automatic than it is with a manual. The only advantage the manual has is the driver's ability to downshift coming out and going into turns.

staNgiSH

ain't easy bein' cheesy
you can slide in front wheel drives and driiiiiiiiiffftt in rear wheel drives..yeah i also tried to drift in a 240sx 91 ...those are the more popular choices to drift in...a lot of techniques that you can use in drifting..some more popular than most..such as e brake, powerdrift, feint, clutch kick..etc.

Initial D opened my eye's to a new sense of racing lol.You are true you can drift any car but...it is how good you drift and the technique. I find the FF(FWD layout) very hard to drift without the e-brake.I was thinking about buying an EG6(Civic)and putting a H22A or B18B motor in it and entering FWD layout touring classes but then I figured I'd stay true the FR(RWD)setup and one day move to AWD car such as the WRX,Talon,Evo series and master the AWD. Drifting to me is a good way to learn more about your car's settings and learning more about driver technique and control. Also it has helped me to drive more safer believe it or not because I am use to spinning around and loosing control from when I drifted and know what to expect and don't panic. But I am glad there is someone else on the bored who knows something about drifting if not more then I do :).I would love to chat with you more!

PhantAZN

Taste The AZN
watch a video of a drift competition, its more than just one direction

yes, its possible in any car, (fwd is more of ass dragging though) but certain cars youd have to be a moron to try it in

Very true.The only reason I suggested wacthing Initial D or getting the drift books and video's is to wacth the line they follow and the way they drift to pick up on it.I am just one of those pepole who can "imitate" what other's do :lol: .

dom

Race It. Don't Rice It.
When my friend got his Cavi, the first time it rained he wanted to go to an old parking lot and show off his drifting skills. Got it up to 20MPH yanked the e-brake and stalled out an automatic. :crazy:

Then some other guy, who we didn't know, showed up in a 240SX and blew my friend's Cavi away. Went across the whole parking lot (about an acre) smoking the rear tire and went completely sideways.