Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

driveshaft swap 1st mod

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Bigshow14, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

Installed the Axle Exchange driveshaft on my car last night. The car feels completely different, no more clunking and it don't feel like your towing something behind you when taking off. Im glad I did this, my car has 3000 miles on it and now feels better than new. 20140313_202029.jpg 20140313_202105.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. 13Ford

13Ford New Member

This Is a mod I wasn't in a rush to do, but there are people that say it feels better and eliminates the clunking that is making me push this mod way up my list! Something I might now do next!

3. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

Cai, tune, and headers where first on my list, after alot of reading and seeing the difference in my friends o8gt the ds moved to the top of my list. Headers are next

4. ageless1

ageless1 Active Member

This clunking, is it the one that you get if you perform a rolling stop? The hesitation, I hear could be from the computer learning your regular driving style and gets reset whenever you disconnect the battery. Don't know right from wrong on this but I just installed some stereo equipment and had my battery disconnected for a couple of days and I can tell the car isn't running the same. My fuel economy average runs between 19 and 21 MPG. It was reset after disconnecting the battery and today's drive to work read 12.4 and I drove it extra easy because I have yet to fully secure the subwoofer so I am pretty certain that there is some validity to the claim.

5. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

Mainly when starting from a dead stop, and during gear shifts. When driving slow and the car is in too high of a gear and press the gas any and let off it would clunk. I drove it around 40mph in 4th gear and tried to make ghe clunk and it was gone. I never disconnected my battery, but I believe your right on it learning your habbits.

6. ageless1

ageless1 Active Member

But changing the DS fixed that, right? Just curious. The only noise I get is from the rolling stop and its more of a thud than a clunk. Should I anticipate this to worsen?

7. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

It all started around 500 miles and I removed the stock shaft at 3000 miles. Now the car feels and sounds new.

8. ageless1

ageless1 Active Member

I got mine with 14 miles on it. I will be hitting 1000 on my way home from work tonight!

9. 2011 Kona Blue

2011 Kona Blue Active Member

I have the same one! Its a great mod. My pony runs smoother and handles 140 mph easy peasy.

Bigshow14 likes this.
  10. RedHorse

RedHorse Member

I have not as yet noticed any clunking from my drive shaft although I am told that the drive shaft is the reason for the 115 mph speed governor. It is apparently also a big part of the reason that this car achieves 31 mpg on the highway. I would be curious to know what the mpg is after installing this replacement drive shaft.

11. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

I still can get any easy 30-31mpg. That's the only thing that didn't change. Can you explain the stock driveshaft and mpg that's the first I've heard of it.

12. eddyk82

eddyk82 New Member

The clunking you referring to come at around 3500-2500rpms in deceleration?

13. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Order my DS this week. I have read so many post on the DS . I got most all the clunking noise out of the car after changing the susupension but still have a little vibration iusses at different speeds froming from the DS.
    I was at the 5oth Birthday Car Show in Charlotte Motor Speed and had my Mustang Tuned by Dyno Pro and when they got up to a 141 mph I got a little worried about the DS failure issue. Frank R." The failures were very peculiar as they only happened on an automatic V6 Mustang while running on a Dyno"
    I plan to take it to the track in the next few weeks with the new Tune , I got bigger stickier tires 225/50/17 and the new one pceice DS . I', hoping this will make a differeance in my times . The first time I made 4 runs w/o a Tune, Spining tires 1st & 2nd gear having to peddling the gas and having no faith in the DS. If I can shave off a .725 of second to a full second I will be happy . I will not have to go to the drag races anymore and get back into finding the little things making the suspension better if I can. If you all want I will post my times and thoughts after a night at the track.
    I Don't think I have to worry about hittinig the speed 113 - 122 mph or higher speed in the 1/4 mile. I was worried about the DS failure at the weld point stress area at the two havlfes at launch but no more.a little more worried about the stress.
    Ford has set a limit of 118MPH from the factory. However most guys who re-tune their car move the speed limit of the car much higher.There have also been several examples of Ford 2011+ V6 mustang stock drive shafts failing at speed of 135 MPH You can read the whole story ,Shaftmasters 3.7L Mustang Driveshaft Issues Resolved | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
    [​IMG]

14. badbrad

badbrad the bradinator

What gears do you have to reach 30-31 mpg? My wifes has 273.....

15. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I did the same thing at 9000 miles , smoother ride and no loping feels great. It pissed me off that ford dropped the standards with the Driveshaft and big times with the manual shifter bracket, what a joke made in china. I wonder if the Roush and Shelby have the same DS and Shifter Brackets as the V6 and GT.

16. gweisberg

gweisberg New Member

After swapping out the driveshaft, do you need to calibrate anything...like the speedometer? Considering doing the DS swap myself and want to get all my ducks in a row before I shoot.

17. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Speedometer is not affected by driveshaft diameter.

gweisberg likes this.