Dual Citizenship Help

Norccer

I am able to get an Italian citizenship. I read up on it and I know some of the pro's and con's. ANyone here have a dual citizenship and like to tell me if it is worth doing or not doing?

-thanks.

Spaniard

Well I was born in Mexico, my dad is an american, first I had to be a resident in the U.S. for 5 years, and last year I became an american citizen, I have the same priviledges as any other american , soo when im in the U.S. im an american and when im in Mexico :crazy: im a mexican, not sure if that helped:eek: , but the way I see it you dont have anything to loose

klotzstang

I am considered German by birth, by Germany. My family was in Japan when one of my brothers was born, so Japan considers him a Japanese citizen.
The US considers both of us US citizens, as we were both born on US Marine bases.
The US only recognizes us as Americans, although Germany and Japan gives my brother and I all the rights of citizenship.
I believe that the US does not reconize dual citizenship.
My Passport is US citizen.
My father, who should know, tells me that you cannot give up US citizenship.
Kind of like trying to leave the Catholic Church, you are always considered a Catholic by the Church.

sgramer

Big LoZer
In this day and age it may be a good idea to get the dual citizen ship and use the Italian passport if you travel.

klotzstang

Illegal! The US State Department will revoke BOTH Passports if you try. Thier data base is bigger than any other, since 9/11. You will be ivestigated as a terrorist threat.
An American citizen can never legaly give up US citizenship, ever.

firechicken2k

Капитан. Иинах.
None of you have any idea wtf you're talking about :lol:

I've 3 citizenships: Russian, German, and American (3 citizenships and 3 passports).

Each country only "recognizes" its own citizenship if you're in it. So, say, I am in Germany and commit a crime of some sort, I wouldn't be able to say "I want a consul, I'm an American (or Russian) !"

But I'd be able to demand all 3 consuls if I was, say, in Thailand, or Mexico, or somewhere else other than these 3 countries.

If you can get it, do it.

Norccer

None of you have any idea wtf you're talking about :lol:

I've 3 citizenships: Russian, German, and American (3 citizenships and 3 passports).

Each country only "recognizes" its own citizenship if you're in it. So, say, I am in Germany and commit a crime of some sort, I wouldn't be able to say "I want a consul, I'm an American (or Russian) !"

But I'd be able to demand all 3 consuls if I was, say, in Thailand, or Mexico, or somewhere else other than these 3 countries.

If you can get it, do it.

Oh pretty cool. Yeah I am going back to Chicago for an entrepanuerial national meet for a club I am in so I might try to see if they have an Italian embassy. I have some family over there so I am sure they can hook me up.

firechicken2k

Капитан. Иинах.
Oh pretty cool. Yeah I am going back to Chicago for an entrepanuerial national meet for a club I am in so I might try to see if they have an Italian embassy. I have some family over there so I am sure they can hook me up.

USA has an agreement with a lot of countries in Europe (including Italy) to allow for travel without visas.

If you only want Italian citizenship for easier travel (without visas), you do not need it, as you can already travel there without one (for up to 3 months, if memory serves me right).

But if its for other reasons, by all means - do get it :)

Norccer

USA has an agreement with a lot of countries in Europe (including Italy) to allow for travel without visas.

If you only want Italian citizenship for easier travel (without visas), you do not need it, as you can already travel there without one (for up to 3 months, if memory serves me right).

But if its for other reasons, by all means - do get it :)

hehe, well at first I was thinking of using an italian passport to go to ecuador when I go and help some villages but that is rather pointless. I think it could be a good idea to get citizenship if I ever wanted to live there. I am progressively learning spanish which is related to Italian so I am sure I could pick up Italian quickly.

firechicken2k

Капитан. Иинах.
hehe, well at first I was thinking of using an italian passport to go to ecuador when I go and help some villages but that is rather pointless. I think it could be a good idea to get citizenship if I ever wanted to live there. I am progressively learning spanish which is related to Italian so I am sure I could pick up Italian quickly.

Good reason. :D

As for Spanish being related to Italian - no. May be only by the fact that both are Latin based, but then again so is English.

Knowing more than one language does help when you're learning another one - but don't think that by knowing Spanish you'll understand Italian :)

Norccer

As for Spanish being related to Italian - no. May be only by the fact that both are Latin based, but then again so is English.

Knowing more than one language does help when you're learning another one - but don't think that by knowing Spanish you'll understand Italian :)

I thought that Spanish/English/French were all related because they are all Romance languages. One of my friends is El Salvadorian and he said he can understand a little of the other languages.

firechicken2k

Капитан. Иинах.
I thought that Spanish/English/French were all related because they are all Romance languages. One of my friends is El Salvadorian and he said he can understand a little of the other languages.

:lol: :lol:

No, the languages you listed are all related by the fact that they are Latin based (as in, the alphabet consists of Latin characters).

It's the same for me, I can read (and understand may be 40% of what I read) languages that are Cyrillic based, like Bulgarian, Serbian, etc. Can't speak or write them, only read.

As I said - knowing other languages certainly helps when you try to learn another one, but each language is going to be different (different grammar for instance, which is the largest and hardest part of any language).

Norccer

:lol: :lol:

No, the languages you listed are all related by the fact that they are Latin based (as in, the alphabet consists of Latin characters).

It's the same for me, I can read (and understand may be 40% of what I read) languages that are Cyrillic based, like Bulgarian, Serbian, etc. Can't speak or write them, only read.

As I said - knowing other languages certainly helps when you try to learn another one, but each language is going to be different (different grammar for instance, which is the largest and hardest part of any language).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages

hehe, I didn't read much of that but I saw that they are all latin. So that is cool. I still have until May to decide to get dual citizenship unless for some reason I really want to get it before then.

Culex

3.8's Polyglot

Spanish shares quite a bit of vocabulary with Italian....with minor variations in spelling and pronunciation. Look at a Spanish-Italian dictionary and a lot of words will look similar.

Examples

Mountain

Spanish - montaña

Italian - montagna (but both are pronounced the same way)

War. Spanish - guerra, Italian - guerra (in Spanish, it's pronounced "ge-rah whereas in Italian it's pronounced "gwe-rah"

Some words are similar but spelling can vary more (like depend. Spanish - depender, Italian - dipendere) and other words are completely different. /endlanguagelesson

re

firechicken2k

Капитан. Иинах.
Spanish shares quite a bit of vocabulary with Italian....with minor variations in spelling and pronunciation. Look at a Spanish-Italian dictionary and a lot of words will look similar.

Examples

Mountain

Spanish - montaña

Italian - montagna (but both are pronounced the same way)

War. Spanish - guerra, Italian - guerra (in Spanish, it's pronounced "ge-rah whereas in Italian it's pronounced "gwe-rah"

Some words are similar but spelling can vary more (like depend. Spanish - depender, Italian - dipendere) and other words are completely different. /endlanguagelesson

re

Vocabulary is similar in pretty much all languages :)

There's plenty of "shared" words in each language. "Pizza", "Computer", "Alcohol", etc.

NineoneSix

Sacramento Pride
Theres many laws on it. If you have an american parent, you have american citizenship. (I think its refered to some kind of blood law) My mom was born in tokyo by a military base that my grandpa was stationed. She didnt have to wait 5 years or anything (from what I know).