E85?

Saddleup

Huge Member
I would not concern myself with that. There's not even enough ethanol production to phase out MTBE. It's doubtful there will ever be enough US production to make E85 widespread.

WangoStango

Super Bowl Champions
Saddleup said:
I would not concern myself with that. There's not even enough ethanol production to phase out MTBE. It's doubtful there will ever be enough US production to make E85 widespread.

We have it where i live...Its a lot cheaper than regular, and if i can run even a half/half mix im going to do it.

Vash

3.8= drama for your momma
isn't it a real high octane? like 108 or 115?

i wish we had a pump around here.. i would defintily fill up the stang with it.

drew_shipley

Bullitt #5023
E85 is cheaper because it's not taxed yet. I don't know if it will work in a Mustang and I'm not sure I'd try it. One of the big issues my friends have with it (truck guys) is when it combusts it doesn't create as much energy as traditional gasoline. So you actually lose a bit of power and are more likely to use your gas pedal a bit more which in turn will cause your MPG to drop.

Goindeafonmtx

The One Upper
drew_shipley said:
E85 is cheaper because it's not taxed yet. I don't know if it will work in a Mustang and I'm not sure I'd try it. One of the big issues my friends have with it (truck guys) is when it combusts it doesn't create as much energy as traditional gasoline. So you actually lose a bit of power and are more likely to use your gas pedal a bit more which in turn will cause your MPG to drop.
Is that what Casey's General Store sells?

WangoStango

Super Bowl Champions
drew_shipley said:

yea your gas mileage is lower...i dont know how much lower. But its probably not enough to warrant NOT using it if i can. I dont care about power loss, im not going around racing people, i just want to save some money if i can.

WangoStango said:
yea your gas mileage is lower...i dont know how much lower. But its probably not enough to warrant NOT using it if i can. I dont care about power loss, im not going around racing people, i just want to save some money if i can.
Honestly, if you want to save money don't go out to eat one day.

how much you'll save on gas will really be determined by how you drive. I fill up with 93 octane and compared to 87, its like 2-3 dollars difference..so saving 2-3 dollars a week lol who cares..thats like less that a Bigmac meal at McDonalds.

generic

The ECM isn't programed for it, so it probably wouldn't run that great.

Also, from what I understand is, the E85 doesn't lubricate as well and the engine acually needs different types of gaskets. I've seen it discused on turbo forums because of the high octane rating, but it sounds like engines will not last as long while running on it if the engine wasn't built for E85.

If you got a wide band o2 sensor and a biggy back computer to lean out the car and tune it right, then I guess you could take much better advantage of E85, but if you just stuck it in the car without doing anything, it wouldn't do much for you.

WangoStango

Super Bowl Champions
generic said:
The ECM isn't programed for it, so it probably wouldn't run that great.

Also, from what I understand is, the E85 doesn't lubricate as well and the engine acually needs different types of gaskets. I've seen it discused on turbo forums because of the high octane rating, but it sounds like engines will not last as long while running on it if the engine wasn't built for E85.

If you got a wide band o2 sensor and a biggy back computer to lean out the car and tune it right, then I guess you could take much better advantage of E85, but if you just stuck it in the car without doing anything, it wouldn't do much for you.

great post...if i could rep you i would.

CODY2003

Ya, I'm still here. ;)
My grandmother runs it in here Jeep all the time. of course it's carbed. I do hope that it becomes more widespread though. US production of corn is high enough if the interrest in the process would ever pick up. plus it's far more economical than hydrogen is. if only because people can still run their old cars on ethanol with minor modifications, compared to having to completely rebuild the engine for hydrogen.

lucas

soft tacos= lazy burritos
what about 104 octane gas we have it at the gas station, it says low lead. can you put that in the mustang? whats up with low lead? will it hurt anything?

hitman

My turbo blows
Lead will plug your cats, E85 is a lower octane fuel. Your cars poor performance will have you pushing the gas petal harder and your fuel econ will drop, completely negating the lower fuel cost by using more fuel.:disgust:

Don Vito

95 GT... bigger is better
If your car is over 2 years old i WOULD NOT USE IT because it cleans out the fuel system. You will need to drop your tank clean it, new fuel filter, and fuel punp to use it if your car is old. E85 will cloge it up. For example the votech school i go to works on WestStar Energy's trucks. They all switched to E85 and keep having fuel issues. We keep replacing pumps and filters because the E85 some how cleans all the dirt out of the fuel system and cloges every thing.

08'MustangDude

Profile Violation
Lead will plug your cats, E85 is a lower octane fuel. Your cars poor performance will have you pushing the gas petal harder and your fuel econ will drop, completely negating the lower fuel cost by using more fuel.:disgust:
False, it is 100-105 octane...