Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Balance

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Zach18, May 10, 2019.

1. Zach18

Zach18 New Member

So I have a 2000 mustang 3.8 V6. Im trying to figure out if it is internally or externally balanced because I am replacing the clutch + flywheel. When I went to buy a flywheel it had ones for internally or externally balanced. I can not find out what my engine code is. If anyone has some tips on how to figure it out please let me know! (Checked all of the engine bay, door jams, under hood, and in fenders)

2. Zach18

Zach18 New Member

If it’s something where I have to pull out the tranny first and then figure out which flywheel i’ll do it that way then order. Trying to get all the parts in to bang it out in a day.

3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

You can tell by looking at the harmonic dampener/balancer.

Attached Files:

4. Zach18

Zach18 New Member

Thank you so much!!!

5. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

Note that aftermarket parts for these cars have been crap for the last few years. I had to do my clutch job twice because the new clutch and pressure plate (valeo) caused a bunch of vibrations. Ended up going with Sachs for the clutch kit. I'd refinish your factory flywheel and reuse it unless it is trashed or cracked. The few aftermarket flywheels I looked at looked pretty rough and didn't even have any balancing marks on them, so they are probably cast and stuck straight into a box without any tolerance or balance checks... Now if it is a 2001+ flywheel, you could (or rather should) take it to a machine shop and get it balanced. But if it is the early model flywheel with the cast in balance weight, no normal shop will be able to balance it (or at least I couldn't find one)

6. Zach18

Zach18 New Member

Unfortunately the clutch material is completely worn out and it was on the rivets for probably 6 months. I already know that it wont be resurfaceable. I would do that but i plan on going with a quality clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel so i’m not worried about that aspect