Engine knock 2011 3.7 V6

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Linda N, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Linda N New Member

Hello all;
    Looking for some input on my situation. About a month ago I bought a 2011 Mustang with the 3.7 V6. lt has just over 80k miles on it but is very clean. I chose that particular car because it was a very clean one owner car that had been well maintained. It came with all of the receipts for all of the maintenance that had been done by the original owner from the date of purchase to the date he traded it in at the dealer for something else. I have had the car a little over a month and put less than 500 miles of easy driving on it. About a week ago I noticed a knock so I took it right back to the dealer and left it there for diagnosis and repair. They said the water pump was bad and replaced it. I never saw any signs of leakage and it had not overheated. The temperature had been very stable every time I drove it. The oil was full and clean. I picked it up yesterday after the water pump repair and about halfway home the knock started up again so I took it right back to the dealer. They just called me now and said it is either a piston or a wrist pin. I have a power train warranty so an inspector from the warranty company is going to inspect the car and has to approve the repair. After that long-winded background, my questions are: if it is a bad piston or wrist pin, is it likely that they will repair just that particular piston/cylinder/wrist pin or would that potentially require a rebuild or replacement engine? What would you folks who are more knowledgeable about these things think is the most prudent course of action? As you could imagine I am not really happy with this situation but I really really love this car and want it to last me for a long time. I only drive maybe 2500 miles or so a year - health issues - but every time I look at this car or drive it, I feel 30 years younger.

2. David Young 5th Mustang

With over 80,000 miles I wouldn't think they'll replace the whole motor. You never know so I guess wait and see. At least they will fix it. Let us know what they do :)

3. Linda N New Member

So the final outcome is that the dealership is installing what I used to call a junkyard engine - 25000 less miles on it than the engine that was already in the car. The powertrain warranty will cover the replacement. It will probably be another 10 days before I get the car back. The service rep I've been dealing with says they are called "recycling centers" now and not junkyards - LOL. I guess my age is showing. In my younger years when I had all kinds of 60's American muscle cars, I used to love a good trip to the junkyard AKA recycling center. I'm just glad I don't have to pay for the replacement. I only drive about 3000 miles a year so a difference of 25000 miles in the engine they are putting in, compared to the one that is coming out, is about 8 years of driving for me. I just have to make sure they pull the brand new water pump and brand new belts off the existing motor and use them on the new one since I just paid for those new parts.

4. David Young 5th Mustang

I'm happy for you that they're fixing you up. I'm a little older than you and still call them junk yards :). It's good you are keeping the water pump from the other motor, it's the weakest part on our 3.7L. Mine is still good on my 2011 but I just turned over 29,000 miles last week :)

5. Mad Dog Member

Yes, Linda, MAKE SURE, you ask them to use your good pump. I had to have Ford put in a junkyard tranny into my Escape after the boys at Les Schwab punch a hole in it.

6. Linda N New Member

These guys are driving me crazy. They have had the car since December 12th. It was supposed to be ready this Friday. Now it's next Tuesday. The car has been in the service department longer than it was in my driveway.

7. Linda N New Member

Well I finally got my car back today. The dealer has has it longer than me, but when I saw it pulled up in the service bay, ready for me to take home, the first thought that popped into my head was man I really love that car - LOL. So I live about 40 miles from the dealership which is in Albuquerque. About 10 miles from the dealership, the oil light came on and I thought oh crap. I called the service guy that I had been working with and he asked a few questions like how does it sound and is it heating up - that kind of stuff - and it wasn't. It sounded fine and temperature was stable. He said he'd call me back in a few - called back and said probably the oil sending unit - and to start back to the dealership but if it started doing anything weird or heating up to pull over and they would send a wrecker. I got back to the dealership - no problems - and that's exactly what it was. Drove home (again) with no issues. I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy to have my car backl and REALLY happy I bought the powertrain warranty. It was about $2k and I hesitated but the paperwork I got from the dealership said they were $3450 into the repair not including the engine, which they had not been billed for yet. It certainly turned out better than it could have. My out of pocket was a couple hundred dollar which included a new battery that I asked them to put in. Oh happy day! I might be calling the part the wrong name - a sensor that measures oil pressure.

8. Mad Dog Member

Yay! That is terrific news, Linda!