Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine management, help me before its too late

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dave2000, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dave2000

dave2000 Member

hey guys, I've been working on my first turbo build for a couple months now, trying to work out the bigger details and get parts together while on a budget. any way i had planned on using sct even bought an x4 and to be honest i didn't realize that i wouldn't be able to adjust custom tunes myself and now i'm doing the math in my head and getting kinda gun shy about shelling out ~300 every time i need the car tuned. this lead me to look into using mega squirt as a piggy back some. i saw some posts on the forums about it but reviews are pretty mixed. anyone out there using ms now? anyone for it, anyone against it?

2. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Have you bought a maf or injectors yet? Is the engine built or cammed? Auto or manual?

3. dave2000

dave2000 Member

I haven't bought injectors or a maf yet, engine is stock right now. Manual as well. I was headed for a mild build to start with but i have an extra 3.8 that i was gonna build for more boost.

4. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

The advantage for SCT is that a number of guys on this forum use it to tune their own cars plus a little help from dyno tuning. Probably 90% of the tuning can be done in the driveway and some on the streets/highways. It takes some time and patients to eliminate annoying drivability issues that most tuners cannot fix or you do not have enough $$ to pay them go get the little things to go away.

5. dave2000

dave2000 Member

That does make sense, your saying I would have more support with the sct. My fear is spending all that money every single time I need it tuned or tweaked. Do you think it would make sense to buy the advantage III software? I feel like in the long run I'll save money if i buy it and learn more about tuning.

6. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Yes the is more support for this platform with pro racer. Mega squirt is map based is why I asked the question. If you had bought the maf already Ms would not be an option for me. There is also binary editor as an option. My buddy Tom shine is using this to tube his Turbo 4.3. he switched from pro racer to this. I would join the FB v6 group to get more details and find dealers.

7. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Quarter horse with binary editor to me seems the better way to go as you can tune on the fly. Much easier than having to load tunes and what not.

8. dave2000

dave2000 Member

I will say that i do like how megasquirt uses a map sensor. From what I've read people say they meter better that mafs. I could see why especially in the case of a turbocharged engine.