1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine shaking... service engine light blinking

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Mustang Frank, Sep 7, 2010.

Social Buttons
  1. Mustang Frank

Mustang Frank New Member

I was driving my 2000 3.8 and all of a sudden it started shaking and the service engine light started blinking... i parked the car and the shaking continued.. it drives but the light is flashing and car shakes uncontrollably anyone heard of similar problems?? :confused:
  2. 99oldhorse

99oldhorse New Member

check engine mounts?
  3. Mustang Frank

Mustang Frank New Member

ya thats the first think im gonna start with tommorow... could it have something to do with a misfire?
  4. MMR

MMR I like cars!

What codes are you getting ?
  5. Mustang Frank

Mustang Frank New Member

this just happened tonight so i havnt gotten a chance to go get the car scanned but be4 the shaking the car was marking egr and insufficient air flow but my car before this one was a mercury sable and marked the same codes and i wasted loads of money and time buying sensors and egr valves and the light never went away so frustrated, i left it alone and the car ran fine... when i bought this car in an auction the light was on but it would dissapear once in a while until tonight... i also might add that it would shake whenever the needle is between 1400 and 1600 RPM while parked, in neutral, or just driving but i was also told this wasnt a big deal
  6. MMR

MMR I like cars!

Just have it scanned when you have time, tomorrow maybe ? ...then post your codes here. We cant really help you without the codes. ;)

The symptoms you are describing, can be anything from a vac leak, to a fault in the ignition system, and yes, even bad engine mounts.

Edit:

May I add; vac leaks are amoung common problems on our cars. ;)
  7. Mustang Frank

Mustang Frank New Member

alright ill post the codes asap
  8. Shifty

Shifty New Member

pritty sure blinking = misfire, which explains the shaking
  9. shoaf

shoaf New Member

thats what happened to mine...i had a misfire...BUT...came to found out it was just a bad ECU that made it do that, get your ECU checked out
  10. 04_ORANGE_3.8

04_ORANGE_3.8 New Member

I had that happen after my balancer bolt broke, the balancer started to come off the shaft. you can check that!
  11. toms94m

toms94m New Member

How many miles?
    it also could be catalytic converter clogged
  12. Synyster06Gates

Synyster06Gates New Member

Flashing CEL is a misfire. Change your plugs first, then wires, then coil pack. Could also be bad injector(s) or fuel pump, but I doubt it's the fuel pump.
  13. DirtySouthStang

DirtySouthStang The Italian wheelman

Check the spark plugs. A buddy of mine had the same problem and found out that one of his plugs "popped' out. A few days after he changed them.
  14. Mustang Frank

Mustang Frank New Member

Alright thanks all of ya for your help and advice and well i took the car today to get scanned and it was marking a misfire in cylinder one so i took the mustang to the mechanic and he noticed the problem right away... my cables, that i just bought brand new, had a burnout on the cable connected to cylinder one so he changed it and its fine again... the good thing is i have warranty on these cables because they are brand new so im very lucky this did not cost too much money or cause damage to my car... thanks to all of ya ;)
  15. 3.8AZstang

3.8AZstang 96 Stang Owner

My 96 had the same problem, and was posting lean in cylinder 5 code
    it turned out to be a combo of the injectors being very dirty, and a bad/dirty maf sensor