1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Swap 95 5.0 v8 into 96 3.8 v6 - side questions.

Discussion in 'Mustang Talk' started by sokolware, Nov 5, 2009.

1. sokolware

sokolware New Member

I have read through most of the engine swap forms, and still have some questions, but please don't tell me its easier to buy a GT or go with 4.6 swap. I know all of those things, it just happen that I was able to buy most of the parts for under $800 (engine, bell-housing, motor mounts, ecu, wiring, ccrm,..) and I am not willing to sell my mustang because it was my first car, and I bought it with my own money when I was 16 so I am keeping it.

Now I am swapping a 96 v6 to a 95 5.0 v8 and didn't realize until now that 5.0 is ODB1 and my car is ODB2 would there be problems with emissions. I live in Maryland.

Second question, what is the difference between K-Member for 95 and 96 mustang's? I have seen people argue both ways, some say that they are the same, some say different because the engine mounts are different. What I don't understand is that if 3.8 for 95 and 3.8 for 96 are almost identical (besides emission stuff) why would K-member be different, what am i missing?
    I am guessing only motor mounts are different between 95 and 96, but i would like to hear it from a person that has done 94-95 swap into 96-98.

I have a guy who can sell me 95 K-member for $140 but I really would not want to do extra work to swap k-member.

2. taylor0987

taylor0987 New Member

There were two different k-members used in 94-04. The 94-95 and the 96-04. The 3.8 worked with both k-members because Ford made 3.8 mounts to work with either one.

3.8 mounts won't work on a 5.0
    4.6 mounts won't work on a 5.0

therefore,

If you want to use off-the-shelf motor mounts, your only option is to use a 94-95 k-member and 94-95 5.0 motor mounts.

$140 is high for a stock k-member. i see you are in MD. you can get one cheaper at crazy ray's

3. sokolware

sokolware New Member

Thanks Taylor,
    The same guy who sold me the engine said that he can sell the K-member for 75 shipped. I think it much better deal :)

Any idea on Emissions Issue?

4. DJ_187

DJ_187 New Member

your only suppose to swap an engine that is offered in a similar model and any year newer. but youll most likely get away with it.

5. sokolware

sokolware New Member

The question is what will happen when i come to do my emission test which is coming up soon. Would it be a problem to not use the OBD2 hookup and just to tail pipe test even though the car is 96?

6. sokolware

sokolware New Member

I have emailed VEIP and MVA and both places gave me the same answer in regards to my engine swap, so FYI if anyone was planing on doing this swap in Maryland here is their email response to my request:

"Good morning,
    The engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. The engine and emission control systems must be in a chassis configuration certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of the vehicle in which it is installed. Therefore, the engine configuration in question must have been offered by the manufacture in that year chassis.
    Bill Cole
    VEIP
    "

In other words it is ilegal to swap ODB1 engine into ODB2 car.
    Kind of upset now that i don't have a chance of putting in a 5.0

Plan B.
    Does any one know how much 3.8 rebuild cost, i would like to go with forged rotary assembly? Labor? Parts? Looking for anyone who has done this???

7. Doc_G

Doc_G Active Member

So if I'm reading you correctly, I can swap in a 302 into a 94-95 v6 and NOT have to change k-member if I use the 5.0 motor mounts? Just trying to get my info straight.

You can get a re-ring kit, which is basically all the gaskets, plus main/rod bearings, and the piston rings for 225.00 or less from Northern Autoparts (last time I checked... might have gone up a bit since then but shouldn't be much)

As for cost of the rebuild, are you going to do the work your self, or farm it out? What type of damage was done to the engine to make you want to swap in a 5.0? Also why are you looking into a forged rotating assembly? Are you building for boost or did you just hear the word forged and think it was a cool idea? How much experience do you have working on engines? In order to give you a realistic guess-timate on costs we need more info from you.

8. 96StAnG3.8

96StAnG3.8 " Is that a 302?" LMAO

So basically you cant do it.But,does that mean you cant swap in a 96+ 4.6 V8?

9. atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98 Bazinga!

96-01 5.0 explorers are OB2 compliant

10. Zach

Zach Blank.

i have a 96 with a 95 5.0L... you know how i got around the emissions? i dont drive over 5000 miles and i make sure it goes exempt.

edit: you could pull all the emmisions equipment from a 96+ 5.0L explorer and it will work just the same btw. you will have a 96 obd2 legal 5.0L

11. 96StAnG3.8

96StAnG3.8 " Is that a 302?" LMAO

Just move to Florida and you wont have that yearly inspection!!!!

12. taylor0987

taylor0987 New Member

Zach, I don't think we have the same low-mileage exemption possibility in Maryland as you do in PA. If he was a senior citizen then he could...
    if you pull into a Maryland emissions station and you have a 95 or older they will do the tailpipe test. if you have a 96+ they will do the plug-in OBD-II test.

the Maryland plug-in OBD-II test is very easy to pass as long as there is an OBD-II computer running the engine.
    the simplest way to do this with your 5.0 is to use the wiring and computer from a 96 4.6 liter mustang including a modified 4.6 engine harness, along with some of the sensors/electronics from a 96+ Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 like Zach mentioned (crank sensor, cam position sensor, etc). This will be easier than using an Explorer computer because you won't have to try to match everything up to the existing Mustang wiring. The "4.6" computer won't know it is really is a 5.0 engine.
    yes that is correct

13. Zach

Zach Blank.

i talked to the senior master tech at my dealership today and he said that even though you have all the obd2 readyness status' good, the obd2 reader will then think you have the explorer and the vins wont match from car to pcm. or whatever car you choose to go with.

14. sokolware

sokolware New Member

Thanks for responding everyone. This seems like way to much headache for more hp. I think I will go back to turbo path. About 3 years ago I had build a turbo kit for my stang, then i sold that turbo because I bought a new car and didn't want to drive turbo mustang (BIG MISTAKE). Well now I would like to get my stang running again but I do NOT want to deal with all the headache of building turbo headers and hot side piping. Does any one know who can build Twin turbo headers for 96 mustang? I can't seem to get in touch with TMA turbo guy.

15. sokolware

sokolware New Member

As to engine rebuild, I would not do the work myself because i do not have time or place to work on an engine anymore. I was looking for labor cost on typical rebuild

The reason I want to rebuild it is because engine has over 130k and a year of 9psi boost from T3/T4 turbo. Before turbo, engine got all gaskets changed, it runs great but i would like to go with twin turbos now and the motor wont last for much longer.
    It is not my daily driver so i don't mind doing things slowly.