Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine swap

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by DanF, Jul 1, 2019.

1. DanF

DanF Member

Well it's not the EGR, engine is shot, so now time to swap motors, question I found a 1993 3.8l with low miles auto trans, will it fit in my 1998 3.8l manual trans, I want to keep it manual, what all will I have to swap to make it work? or is it plug and play?

2. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

Dan, what I know about swaps will fit in a thimble, but there are differences between the '93 and '98 engines in terms of the intake manifolds (upper and lower) and engine control computers. There may be some other, subtle differences too.

What I don't know is if you can swap your '98 top end onto the '93 short block thus keeping your current, '98 ECU. Also, I don't know if the '98 flywheel/clutch/throwout bearing can be swapped onto the '93 crankshaft without issue.

Hopefully, one of the "smart kids" in these forums will chime in and let you know.

Good luck,

3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

93 from a supercoupe? 93 mustangs didnt come with a 3.8 option.