1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine temp gauge stays at cold.... this OK?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by mayurj, Nov 1, 2002.

Social Buttons
  1. mayurj

mayurj New Member

I purchased my stang 1.5 years ago and ever since day 1, the engine temp guage hasnt budged an inch. I know the 94's have a fan/electrical fire problem, but now that I have you guys to count on, I can actually get this figured out... What do I do?
  2. V6BEAST

V6BEAST New Member

If the guage hasnt moved since the day that you got the car, the guage might not be working. Maybe someone else will know more, but I would take it to Ford and get it fixed, I would really like to know if my cars temp wasnt running properly.
  3. 99BlackStangMan

99BlackStangMan Saleenized Sixer

yea....something is definately wrong, if it was a one day thing it may be different, but a year and half......is this the first time you noticed it not moving at all?

take it to ford
  4. AZ2KVert

AZ2KVert Old guy

1. Check to make sure the wire to the sending unit is intact. If it is, then then

2. Check the sending unit itself. Disconnect the wire, and with a volt-ohm-meter check the resistance between the sending unit connector and the engine block. When the engine is cold it should be about 75 ohms, and when the engine is hot it should be about 10 ohms.

3. If 1 & 2 are o.k., you have a problem in your instrument cluster.
  5. mayurj

mayurj New Member

Thanks for the info... but where exactly is the sending unit located??!
  6. AZ2KVert

AZ2KVert Old guy

On my 2000 stang it's hidden under the fuel rail, but on your 94 V6 I believe it is in plain sight, on top of and in the front of the engine. Look for a vertical pipe with a plastic cap on top. The coolant temperature sending unit is screwed into the side of that pipe.

Or pick up a 94-99 haynes manual and look at the picture in the section that covers cooling, heating, and a/c systems.
  7. mayurj

mayurj New Member

Thank you! That is very simple and straightforward. I will give it a try on the weekend and post some pics of my results
  8. Mad Stan

Mad Stan New Member

AZ2Kvert is right, the temp guage sender on the 94 is on the bleed off pipe as he described. An easy way to test the wiring on this is simply (with the ignition on), connect the sender wire to an earth point on the engine, (easiest place is on the threaded part of the sender itself, and see if the guage needle goes up (should go all the way to the red)
    To the left of that pipe is another sender with a 2 wire plug on it, ignore this one, it's the engine temp sensor for the EEC, and it's obviously ok because you haven't mentioned the MIL coming on.
  9. cakkanis

cakkanis Computer Tech

I don't know why but when my uper radiator hose blew out i filled up the coolent replaced the hose but didn't feed any water to the block. my heater blew cold and my temp said cold then all of a sudden jumped to hot. Good thing i didn't blow my head gasket but still i would really check in to that.
  10. rick0636

rick0636 New Member

Another thing that comes to mind is a stuck OPEN thermostat, or someone could have removed it. It would still heat up a bit eventually though, would just be slow. Does your heater work ok?:disgust: :wtf:
  11. 38stang

38stang Active Member

That is the temp sensor for the EEC the gauge sensor is just to the right of the pipe on the intake.