Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Exhaust alterations

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by DocBoyales, Nov 13, 2017.

1. DocBoyales

DocBoyales New Member

What exhaust alterations have you done yourself and what issues did you have?

2. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

umm I've done alot. and i donno I have issues but i love it so I donno like it smells

3. DocBoyales

DocBoyales New Member

Hi. Well ya see what happened was.... (All the best or dumbest stories start off like that.) I do everything myself. I'm used to working on old school engines so I'm still learning these new fangled computer controlled contraptions as I go. I did everything I could do to the engine besides a turbo or super charger as far as I know. Put BBK larger throttle body, Accel coils, the most expensive plugs I could find, a Roush short ram ( commonly referred to as a cold air intake, which it isn't, it's a short ram.) and a tuner. One of the American muscle tuner guys told me I could get 5-8 more hp if I did a cat delete. So I went the fast easy route. I cut a door into the cat canisters, gutted them and welded the piece back. It sounded fine. It had the tone and volume of a genuine high performance engine. The issue was it was causing strange readings to my O2 sensors. So I cut out the O2 sensor bungs, and the canisters and replaced it with normal exhaust pipe from AutoZone like I'd done in the past. At idle it sounded good, not great, but good. As soon as I opened up the throttle wow!!!! the extremely loud ringing sound of I'm not an exhaust expert was horrible and embarrassing. So I asked the American muscle guys. They said all I needed to do was to install a resonator. I couldn't find any at a price I wanted to pay so I looked into what a resonator was. Turns out it's just a fancy glasspack. Since glasspack are straight through I decided to use up the rest of the exhaust pipe I had. Well that did help either. So then I decided to add metal to the exhaust pipe I used to replace the cats and it helped, not by much though, and it seems like some of the pep in my take off is gone as well. I looked closely at every part I removed. Turns out the factory exhaust pipe doesn't go to 2.5" until after or at the X or H pipe. So now I'm thinking I need to put it all back to the same or nearly same diameter as what it originally was. What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

4. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

haha wow umm well I think the loud ringing sound u speak of is just the raspiness these v6 engines make wen u open up the exhaust its wat i like and look for unless u have something loose or vibrating i donno those mods dont really do anything... unless ur putting turbo or super charger or nitrous ur not really doing much to a stock engine just make an exhaust that dosent leak into the cabin so u don't die by fumes and as long as its as restrictive or less restrictive then the stock one ill be fine more restrictive and not so much
    Mic drop?

5. DocBoyales

DocBoyales New Member

IMG_20171028_230442987.jpg IMG_20171028_194804382.jpg
    I'm thinking the hi pitched reverberations are not only the engine. I'm thinking it's the thickness of the exhaust I used and the fact that I still have the factory exhaust manifold instead of headers. (Note: the exhaust manifold and most of the exhaust all the way to the H or X pipe definitely is not 2.5 in. ) Current configuration is factory narrow as hell exhaust manifold+2.5" AutoZone exhaust pipe+narrow as hell factory resonators replaced with 2.5" AutoZone exhaust pipe+factory smaller pipe just before the X pipe. And the rest is all factory exhaust. In the past any engine I did exhaust work to already had headers. I could hear the " raspyness" at the headers and part way through the exhaust, but it was never like this. I'm gonna keep messin with it and see what happens when I do what. Tonight I'm gonna try out keeping the 2.5"the or are least 2" but way thicker. Not sure what I'll use for that just yet, but I'll keep reporting what happens with what changes. Thanks for the replies. Have a good night.

Attached Files:

6. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

see if u can get the noise on video so u can share it with the rest of the class

DocBoyales likes this.
  7. DocBoyales

DocBoyales New Member

You're right. I don't think of that.

8. DocBoyales

DocBoyales New Member

I found out a lot of what my problem was. 1st thing I did before I got any exhaust pipe was looked for a pipe clamp from Ford. I found the one for my car and it showed to be 2.5 inch. So that's what I got. When I got the exhaust down I noticed it was different size, but I thought (what's the worst that could happen) I never thought about it until right now. I thought why would they have multiple size exhaust . Then I thought what size is needed to handle my range of HP. Looked it up and I was right. 2.5 inch is way to big. If it were single exhaust it's fine but 2 inch dual exhaust is supposed to be able to support 370-380 hp before it starts causing any hp robbing side effects. So there it is. I need to take off everything I've added on and put 2" in it's place.
    Also, I tried to upload a sound file but my phone or this site or the internet told me to go f#$& myself and I couldn't get the sound clip to upload.

9. DocBoyales

DocBoyales New Member

Oh, also the O2 sensors are threaded at 18mm so that's a simple fix. Or the O2 sensor bungs can be purchased online or Napa for 5-25$ depending where you buy from.