Facebook friend of mine is passionate about cigarettes being banned...

GSRGuy94

Not a Mod... Yet
This is a post that one of my FB friends made. She's a big PETA activist/protestor, vegan, and health advocate. And she thinks that cigarettes should be banned. Now I'm all for her exercising her opinion, but I don't understand how she can't see that banning things just because they are harmful is a road that doesn't need to be traveled further.

Megan
LET'S PLAY
WHAT'S IN YOUR CIGARETTE?

Also

Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

Amanda not in additive free winstons baby!

Megan isn't that still tar?

Megan If there is smoke just keep in mind I am now having to use an inhaler and get cortisone shots (injected into my nose) from the irritation

Jorge I hear you Megan. When your Mom and I get out of the car in a parking lot, you can pick up on a smoker yards away. And when you stand in line at check out...they put off that heavy musty smoke smell, like a used ashtray.

Greg Mmmmm

Jorge Additive free cigarettes just means the companies don't add the chemicals that make them addictive, they are still an unhealthy cigarette. I may be wrong...just sayin.....

Jorge Safe cigarettes are as hazardous as tobacco.

Alfredo You should play "what's in your dihydrogen monoxide?"

Amanda of course smoking anything has tar. Not all cigarettes have these things on the list. Some companies really do want to put out a quality product.

Greg I'll stick to my Marlboro 27s (for the time being), whatever they put in those...

Amanda there is no safe cigarette....its funny someone wrote an article calling hand rolled bidis and add free cigarettes safe-quite not the case. The only ''safe'' cigarettes are vapor ones.

Pamela CIGS STINK, SMOKING THEM MAKES YOU STINK, AND YOU look like a IDIOT smoking something you let control YOU... (let's light up a cigarette, cause I am WEAK minded....sarcasm here) Where you BORN needing to smoke? My soapbox is big...I too have asthma and allergy's and a disgust for the weakness of cig smoking and the destruction of perfectly good air.

Greg And that is definitely your right to think as such.

Megan Vapor cigarettes should be the only legal option.

Megan Greg your a perfect victim of the industry, but I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for you regardless.

Pamela They should get some grit and quit....

Greg Oh, I ask for no pity. I know exactly how harmful cigarettes are, and know full-well that it is a crutch for most people. But banning things because they are harmful is a slippery slope that I believe this country is getting closer and closer to falling down completely.

Megan Oh please.

Megan That is the worst cop-out I've ever heard of

Megan Greg really I could care less what damage you do to yourself, my concern is of my own at this point. Banning cigarettes and promoting electronic ones is not going to make the country fall down, retard. Do you realize how many people are dying from cigarettes, how many children are burdened by asthma etc by so called smoker 'parents'? At some point things have to CHANGE.

Megan Your health choices shouldn't be allowed to pose a threat to mine. Bottom line.

Pamela I agree with Megan on this one. Cig smoke does not just stay in the mouth of the SMOKER. The rest of us lucky ones, get to enjoy it too ! That is our main legit concern. I don't wanna have to suffer/pay doc and med bills, and have to put up with it in any way. It's that old, "Smoking in smoking area, is like peeing in a peeing section in a pool' concept... Since folks have to partake in something we don't want to, we can get alarmed and demand action.

Greg Megan, I'm glad that you are so passionate about issues that you feel strongly about. Whether or not we agree.

Discuss.

Justin251

hotpocketssssss
I don't think they should be banned. Also, I for the life of me can't figure why people buy them. Almost up there with the whole cloud man thing.

Maybe there is a correlation?

1998232v6

2004 Silver Cobra
Meh, as long as I'm not being forced to inhail the smoke... I couldn't care less what people put in their bodies.

mac_mogul

Ned knows best.
Idk if it should be banned, tobacco companies make **** tons of money and pay taxes. But it should definitely be more controlled. Maybe if you want to smoke in public you have to go to a place like a cigar bar or something similar in the same way you go to a bar to drink in public.
Smoking is absolutely disgusting and I choose not to smoke. Unfortunately it doesn't matter what I chose because as long as someone nearby is smoking, my freedom of choice is gone.

greenv6

4x4 Club
I see where she is coming from, because of her health being affected, but people are slowly wising up on their own. There is no need to ban a product completely. I know a lot of my friends who are quitting or are trying because the affects are so well known these days. But banning something that has been around this long is almost impossible. Can't she just get some satisfaction knowing that most cities are working on or have already passed public smoking bans?

nikko

Admin Emeritus
I'm not in favor of a ban, but would love to deny long-term smokers access to things like Medicare. It's your choice, and you should have the right to that choice. However it should also be my choice as a taxpayer to not subsidize your health care for something that nobody could possibly claim ignorance about when it comes to negative health effects.

jimmy_beaner

VITA EST BREVIS
I enjoy the laws they've passed in Iowa City... essentially dramatically limiting the places people can smoke. I couldn't care less about the "rights" of smokers to smoke where ever they want... granted I'm not a smoker. What they do in their house is up to them, but forcing nonsmokers to inhale their smoke isn't acceptable.

I'm not in favor of a ban, but would love to deny long-term smokers access to things like Medicare. It's your choice, and you should have the right to that choice. However it should also be my choice as a taxpayer to not subsidize your health care for something that nobody could possibly claim ignorance about when it comes to negative health effects.
Brilliant idea. Though, do you do the same thing for chronic over eaters? (considering chances of obesity/diabetes)

kgmx856

Dirtbike Aficionado
I enjoy the laws they've passed in Iowa City... essentially dramatically limiting the places people can smoke. I couldn't care less about the "rights" of smokers to smoke where ever they want...

West Lafayette did that last year. Its great. If people want to kill themselves with something they know is harmful, I won't stop them. Although I don't want my taxes going to their sick asses.

jimmy_beaner

VITA EST BREVIS
As long as the government so zealously subsidizes corn, then no.
What if they supplemented with more appropriate legislation on price of high calorie foods or sweeteners? Or implemented better foods education in grade school with encouragement for better eating?
Yeah, I dunno. As an idea it's riddled with holes and implementation problems... but in theory it sounds good.
It does, it's just an interesting progression of the idea. Are alcoholics thrown in with smokers? Does this go with "infringing" on people's lives by telling them what behavior is covered or not? Or is it a burden on those that are practicing healthier living (which is somewhat similar to banning smoking in public places)?

MickStang88

As someone who used to smoke I hated all the negativity I received. It's like I had a habit of beating small children in public, and the comments some of my friends would make sucked. I ended up quitting because one day I woke up and decided it wasn't something I wanted to do anymore. And just for the record my heart rate is 54 with a BP of 121 over 62, of course I don't smoke anymore, but not every smoke is condemned to poor health. Just remember it's an increased risk of anything. There are smokers who live healthy lives til they pass away at 80 and there are non smokers who get lung cancer in their 40's.

In Utah you can only smoke in certain areas of the city, and I agree with that. P.S. I think some of the women need to calm down.... the only smoker that decided to post on the subject got jumped on like he was wearing a swastika.

kobudo

They shouldn't ban anything unless its something out of our control or choice.

Not all PETA people are super extremists, however they like to give that impression it seems with thier ads and media.

And BTW E Cigs are awesome.

True that. 11 months cigarette-free as of Christmas, thanks to my vaporizer and a very tiny modicum of willpower.

Sad that we're closer to seeing a ban on vaping in the states than a ban on cigarettes, because I know which one I'd rather see go the way of the marijuana leaf...

Holly

it's all in your head
It's hard for me to think they should be legal because there are so many cases like mine... starting smoking at 15, obviously not the best decision-making age. However, if I could quit after 7 years (and actually without difficulty), then I feel like others can as well.

Parents need to better educate their children about smoking, not just the stuff you learn in stupid programs like DARE. Then again, there are so many parent smokers, so that would only be hypocritical for them I suppose.

All of that being said, if cigarettes were to be banned, people would still find a way to continue smoking.

TBR

TYVMSAP

Slippery slope. Next comes people who drink.

Also, I don't even know your friend and I don't like her. What a pretentious ****.