Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Facts No Fiction On Performance With Your Bolt On Mods

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Duggie, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I want to start off by saying I have read a lot of post and comments on the mods that people install on their cars and the times that they ran at the track from stock with one or two mods on up. Limit it to the Drivetrain & Suspension and Tires. For the purpose of this post lets not consider Pro, Turbo, Super Chargers . I would like to see if we can get a realistic avg. on what a person can expect with their choice of Bolt on Mods. Please also include the mods that gave you the biggest bang for your buck. With the help of the members that have been at this for a long time that have the knowledge of what works and what doesn't work to the newer members and members that are just starting off wanting to know where to begin. If you run Nitrous please include times with and without Nitrous.
    We can break it down to the year of the Mustang and motor size to include the 3.8 , 4.o and the 3.7 . Lets remember when replying to a comment there are beginners, novice and experts . We all had to start somewhere so there are no dumb questions. The thing we all have in common is enjoying what we do with our Mustangs.

This is what I have done to this date and enjoying every minute of the time spent.
    2014 Coupe 3.7
    Drivetrain: Airaid CAI, 73mm BBK TB, Bama Tuner, Magna Flow Street Axel Backs, Ford Racing Gears 3.73 and Barton Short Shifter & Double Post Shifting Bracket
    Suspension: Eibach Pro Spring Kit, Front & Rear Adjustable Sway Bars, J&M Adjustable Pan Hard Bar and LCA
    Best Time 1/4 mile 14.0 Speed 100..52 Weather: 70 Degrees, Overcast, Damp, High Humidity Track: Slick
    Stock Tires , Tune Not Set For Mods
    Goal: To Run 13.7 - 13.9 With Tune

Attached Files:

Diehard, Ricky, JeDanRo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

My only mod to date is I installed the Axle Exchange driveshaft. Its a one piece aluminum 4" diameter that is a direct swap for the stock shaft. It has eliminated all rear clunking, tamed almost all of the shifter vibrations, and the car no longer feels like your towing something behind you when taking off from stop signs or slow driving. I was going 40mph in 4th gear and tapped the gas and the rubber necking is gone. I haven't been to the track to do a before and after comparison but it's definitely worth the coin. Also thanks Duggie for starting this thread, this will help out the new guys alot and help us all spend our mod money in an effective way.

Attached Files:

JeDanRo likes this.
  3. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Thanks for the Driveshaft information. I did not considered that to be the problem of feeling like I was towing something. We have the same issue on the Interstate to the point that my wife pulled off and asked me to drive when we first got the car. The DS will be on my list to change out.

4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

It seems like your interest is solely drag racing. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate straight line performance. I also think that is way t0o narrow a means to enjoy my car. Autocross is pretty accessible, and open tracking a car is just mmhrmm.

From my signature all can see I've radically altered my car (2003 coupe). Some of it was good, some things I ought not to have done. My favorite changes to my car are:

1) tires- no substitute for sticky. I really like the RE-11s for dual purpose. Maybe later I'll have something like the Nitto NT01

2) MM suspension- I benefit from the tubular k-member and a-arms in the front and TA-PHB with adjustable sway bar in the back. Coil-overs all around. 375# in the front, 275# in the rear. 2 degrees of caster, 6 degrees of camber.

3) manual swap- my car started with an auto, went to a high stall converter, dropped that out for a built T5 from Astro gear and a MGW shifter on top. This was only a month ago, and seems to really bring the car together.

4) 4.3 build with m112- more power, more torque. what's not to like? My retard big cam does have drawbacks.

5) gears- I went from the stock 7.5 axle to an 8.8" with 3.73, to a 3.31 ratio. Once my motor was making some torque the 3.73s were useless. The 3.31 works very well with the m112 and the A5 gear ratios (2.95 1.95 1.33 1.00 0.59)

audioAl likes this.
  5. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

6. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

So what are you trying to say?

7. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I totally agree with you , it all about what works and doesn't works . What you find most enjoyment for yourself in the application you choose.. By this I was hoping to help the new member just starting out by reading everyone's experience. TY for your post.

8. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

What I'm trying to do is get a wide range of members have done . Some build for the different types of tracks, the street for daily drivers and show.
    My hope is that the new members and the members that never owned a Mustang before can read this post and learn . Not be afraid to ask questions because I have seen where some get knocked down because the answer they get is" do your research that has been talked to death. "
    By members listing there mods and what they are getting out of them as far as performance along with the do's and don't this will help all. What was the biggest bang for your buck and for the members that have been doing this for awhile if they tell what works and what doesn't work. From the feed back I've gotten people like this idea, was told that this will save new members and others time and money.
    For me personally I not into the drag racing, I was asked by a number of people in different forums what did I think my car would run? I plan only going one time to the track with my new Tune and some Tires and that's it . Plus I planned out my build , with a budget. I purchased a basic Mustang with SYNC and a Power Seat. I wanted to have something that could handled better the a GT and run within a second of a Stock GT for less then the cost of a Pony. I meant my Goals. I was told that my car is very balance with the HP to Suspension.
    I hope this answers your question. I also hope by members posting the mods they used and the performance they received from the helps many members.

ageless1 and Bigshow14 like this.
  9. 2011 Kona Blue

2011 Kona Blue Active Member

2011 3.7! Bolt on mods include
    91 MPT tune
    Airraid CAI
    BBK ceramic long tube headers
    BBK off road x pipe
    3:73 gears
    One piece aluminum driveshaft
    J&M lower control arms

Dyno @ 297 rwhp & 276 rwtq

Hoping too run 12.9 to 13.1 1/4 mile!

Ricky likes this.
  10. Bigshow14

Bigshow14 Member

11. 2011 Kona Blue

Automatic bro. I would be over 300 if I had manual. Lol!

12. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Have you made any runs at the track while doing your mods, if so do you have a break down on what times with the mods you had on at the time ?

13. 2011 Kona Blue

Duggie, I actually have not been to the track as of yet. Yes, I should hang my head down in shame. ha ha ha. I actually was planning to track my car at Cecil County Dragway tomorrow for a test and tune day, however due to 80 % expected rain I will not be going. I am curious to see how fast my little 3.7 is with my mods. I'm not sure if your familiar with Cecil County Dragway but if not, its a great ,fast running track. People get great times running there. I would like to see my pony run 13 to 13.1 1/4 mile but not sure if that would happen. I'm 6-4 and weigh approximately 260 pounds so I'm no thin mint. lol. I definitely got some added weight where you thinner guys don't. ha ha ha. I do think with my mods, power the car makes and a driver of maybe 150 pounds, my car could run 13 flat 1/4 mile. Either way, I'm not a track guy so after I make a few passes and see my times that will most likely be the last time I track it unless of course I added a supercharger. lol. I'm running factory 17 inch tires and truth be known I can nail the go pedal to the floor from a dead stop on the roadway and not have issues with wheel spin.

With my recently installed LCA's my wheel hop is gone. The car does pull like a beast. I can rocket the car 0-60 mph in roughly 4.6 seconds even with my fat ass! ha ha ha! How about you, do you track your car and if so what times you getting? When I do go to the track I will surely post my time slips up! :) Bro, your car looks amazing. I love it!

14. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Did you see my race video? I bet a 13 GT. The reason I asked is this I build my car with a goal in mind of running high 13s with the mods I have. I went to the track and I didn't have the right Tune Setup . I had a problem down loading it from my PC to my Tuner. Second problem is my stock tires even with running 17lbs of air I had to back paddle back 1st and 2nd gear, just would spin the tires . Everything else was set suspension , shifter all my mod. I should of hit my goal but the best I got was a 14.0 at 100.56
    Your car is set up like my car is but for the headers, pipes and driveshaft .I was wanting to know about your Tires and Tune. I was at a car show today and the people I talked to said I should run 12.9 to 13.3 I said to myself no way . I was told that I was loosing up to at least .50s because of the tires and with the Tune set wrong that could be .30s or better. I don't know for sure because I have to see to believe it.
    I'm like you I wanted to go to the race track just one time to get my times because I write reviews and on the Forums. I don't want to beat my car to death so I will be going one more time when I can get some tires to barrow for a few runs and I now have the Tune set up. I can tell you for sure if you watched my race my car once it hooked up in 3rd gear WOW did it pull. So I'm very excited to see what it really can ran . Plus the night we went it had rained, very damp, humidity was very high70 degrees. The track was so slick that had to stop the racing to fix that problem.
    It's hard to tell who to believe when someone will tell you their stock 3.7 runs 13s and they didn't do a thing to it. I feel like dang I must have a very slow car with the things I have done. So I started this in hope to get honest facts with mods people have and times they run. I more into the handling of the car but I do want a little getup and going also. I find the 3.7 a lot fun to drive and play with.
    Please keep me posted on the time slips and tires ect that you use the night you go. Learning what I have this past two weeks if all of it is true I can't wait to go one more time and see what this 3.7 can do with a few bolt ons. Thanks for your feed back.

15. 2011 Kona Blue

I actually didn't see your rave video, however I would like to. Can you put the link back up? Thanks ! :)

16. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Ok I repost I'm in the inside lane the white Mustang is a 13 GT. I believe his driving skills made me look good. He should of had me by a few cars but a win is a win. Listen to my car as it goes by. All I have is a Airaid CAI and Magna Flow Street Mufflers. They are quite inside the car but when you jump on it they sound great
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMThR0Loja8&feature=player_detailpage

17. 2011 Kona Blue

Bro, You kicked his ass. ha ha ha. awesome. Great Video

18. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMThR0Loja8&feature=player_detailpage
    You can hear my car spinning the wheels then come alive in 3rd gear . The kid in the 13 white GT I don't think could drive very well. Listen to my car the deep sound from the Airaid CAI & Magna Flow Street Muffler. They have a deep sound but inside the car it quite, when you hit the gas they come alive.

19. 2011 Kona Blue

Your car sounds amazing bro. I have Flowmaster Force II axle backs. Here is a clip of my exhaust tone.

Dropbox - VID_20130730_115209_482.mp4

20. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

The headers do make a difference . Your car is louder with a deeper sound at a idle, very nice.