Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Facts No Fiction On Performance With Your Bolt On Mods

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Duggie, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Went to First SCCA tonight. Some good events coming up in our area. I will be in Sebring in two weeks entered in a event. You should check it out. You will be in the Central Florida Region 83 District 5

getsidewayzdrift likes this.
  2. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Drag Strip tomorrow night. I have done all I can do at this point with the CAI, 73mm TB, Tune, Axle Back Magna Flows, One Piece Drive Shaft, 3.73 Ford Racing Gears , Barton Shifter and last a set of tires 225/50/17.
    So Since I started this Forum I will document my time slips. I have no idea what I will run and hope for the best. I will be pleased with a 13.9 any better that will be great. From what I have read on other forums on other sites I guess for what they say I should run a lot quicker near high 12s. I sure do NOT believe that and if so than I'm a fool.
    I started this off Fact no Fiction so in the next couple days you will see the FACTS, what it is it is.
    For those that are interested I had my car checked out by Brother's owned by BBK I checked out Headers, and other items and was told that they would not help me gain anything and the same said with other items. If you are interested in what I found out I will answer any questions. Not debate just what I was told and why.

3. audioAl

audioAl Coyote Red

Here is Roanstang today, handles much better, still on stock shocks & sturts. tn_MMD tails custom paint 001.JPG

4. getsidewayzdrift

getsidewayzdrift one- wheel peelin!

13.4 :D calling it now lol

5. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

What type wheels you have on your car? Love that color !

6. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

Drag Night, Not that good. The temperature was in the 80's, clear night. Track was slick. I didn't get into the 13's all the runs were 14.053 at 100.50 mph, 14.089 at 100.61mph, 14.269 at 100.37 and Best Time 14.041 at 100.43
    So that's my times, I must have a lemon because I read that we some that have less on their car and my they run low 13's and one saying high 12's but no Time Slips to back it up.
    The problem I was told by people that run there all the time to why I didn't hit the 13's.
    1) I put the big 255/50/17 all around the car. Should of had a thin tire up front or at least put a lot of air in my front tires.
    2) Even though I did change out my tires due to lack of grip and even went to a V rating I was still spinning 1st , 2nd and now some of 3rd gear with the 3.73 rear. Car even went side ways a bit and each run had to back of the gas.
    3) New Tune was great and had more HP to rear wheels but over powered the tires I chose to save cash.
    Lesson learned : As Phil ll said time and time again one of first mods should be tires. Put the money in the tires ! I didn't and you can see I missed my mark. I was running a 280 thread and when looked it turned out to be a mud and snow tire. I will be talking to the Firestone Dealer about that , I live in Fl. and was told I should not use a mud and snow. I will see what they have to say about that.
    Bottom Line: I name this title of this Forum FACT NO FICTION those are my times and it is what it is . As to driving skill reaction times were .025, .288, .454, .105 3 out of 4 are not bad at all. Once again mad at myself for going for a cheaper tire, width didn't mean a thing from a 60 to a 50 without the right compound.
    Now for the GOOD news. Ran a 99 GT and won all races, one was very close but a win is a win. I will try to up load the videos from my GO PRO once I find out how to do it.

7. getsidewayzdrift

getsidewayzdrift one- wheel peelin!

that's not bad for it being hard to hook up, if you were spinning all the way up to 3rd, I'm willing to bet stickier tires and some launch practice will get you -.5sec

8. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Did you not go with the Primwells you spoke of earlier in this thread? Not that I'm a fan of that kind of tire. When you go the firestone dealer I recommend you inquire about the RE-11, RE-11A and the RE-760S. I personally use the RE-11 and have experience with the RE-760. Is your wheel size 17x8?

It may be helpful to mention SCCA, autocross, and performance driving. Some Firestone employees understand what that means. The good ones even provide a discount to keep you coming back.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  9. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

You are right , I messed up on the tires, the compound too hard . I will wait until the fall when it gets cooler and can afford different tires for the rear. I also didn't know about the front tires could make
    Thanks for the information , price was 153.80 ea. on the RE-11, RE-11A The RE-760S is a wide Oval and there is a problem with Clarence with a bolts on the Sway Bars . Going to wait until I get my feet wet and burn some of the new tires I just put on. Again for those that read this please put your money in the tires if you are going to do SCCA, hard lesson learned by me. The Primewells are nice and smooth for the daily driver but if you go to the track you will need something better.

10. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I went back to Firestone today told them about the issue with the tires and showed him a video . He said that too much power for the tire And I also forgot to tell you I had the car retuned and I get 290 hp to the rear wheels now, so that more that the last time I went to the Drag Strip. so I only shaved off 0.38 of a second off my best time. I think less HP and with the better tires would of gotten my into the 13s. The HP canceled out my tire gain. So now I need a better tire. Drag Slicks is not the answer also without putting sub frames on and I don't want to do that. It will kill my smooth ride. What I will do is try to get some really thin tires from someone for the front and change up my shifting pattern. I think I was shifting too late after I got home and look at the Pro Dyno Sheet I should of been shifting at 6400 rpms and I was at 6900 rpms. Also I did forget to turn off Traction Control 2 times due to nerves. Racing a woman with a GT, but I won those races. By the way there was a Rouse there newer one ran in the high 11s. There were also a few other Mustang there 2011 plus that I had better times then but don't know what they were as far as motor size. There were some older ones running in the 10s and one at 7.89 sec. dam that was fast he was on his way to ST Louis for the Nationals .

11. Phil II

Duggie try to focus on what you want to do with the car. Money and time will start disappearing really fast when multi-tasking motorsports. Meaning that skinny front tires would help at the drag strip and pretty much nowhere else. On the other hand, summer tires like what I've mentioned before are pretty good anywhere but the drag strip. For example, an RE-11 has fantastic grip and corner transition, but it doesn't do launches very well. All of this is due to very stiff sidewall construction.

Either way have fun!

12. Phil II

Are you thinking of borrowing skinnies? That seems more sensible.

13. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I decided to do only the SCCA that is far more fun and will not beat up my car in the long run. I was explaining why I didn't think I didn't hit the 13s. Plus the launches I believe beat the hell out of the car. I also explained that that SCCA is so much more fun then the Drag Racing. I finished what I wanted to do on my Fact and Fiction by proving what I have done and what my results were. For those that say they run low 13s with less they what I have done more power to them and I'm happy for them . But I was HONEST in what I done and what my times were. It is what it is.
    I explained the money to others in waiting to see what they would need and that it wasn't something they need to rush into. Getting seat time and getting advise form others like I did with a instructor . I was told that it could be a year just to get the hang of it . So there is no rush on mods. I did give them the advised you gave me on tires and that should be the first mod. I checked my tired on the Primewells there a 280 Thread Count not the 300 so I need to use them until they wear out, no more money for tires plus my wife cut me off on the budget for the car for now.
    I'm not interested into the Muscle Car Class they started , it doesn't make sense to me because you are working against yourself if your car is setup one way and you are doing something else with it. So I'm going to only work towards the SCCA and wait before I do anything else to my car until I get a lot of seat time and feel for the car. Plus there is plenty of help out there to get advise down the road when I feel I need to change out something.
    We are both on the same page as far as wasting money trying to do two things at once. I found the drag racing last night to be boring after driving the SCCA road course. But I for filled what I said I would do on that Forum and that was to post my times after a second time out there with different tires. I'm now done with the Drag Racing.
    Thus is a good start for getting a few people interested in joining the SCCA

One more thing should I drop the air pressure down when running the road course ? I did noticed the thread on the outside side wall hand some good wear marks on the rears. Or could that be the rough surface we were old , an old runway with some large cracks & gaps in the surface?

14. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

If I go back to the drag Track I would borrow skinnies for sure I will not put any more money into my car for the Drag Strip. I want to do the SCCA Racing.

15. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

Don't mislead yourself, any kind of racing is very tough on the car.

16. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

You have done SCCA Racing, please tell me what to look out for as far as a lot of ware to my car. I don't want to beat the hell out of a new car. I have saw very expensive new cars out there and also saw old daily drivers also cars just setup for the track. I was going also by the photos I have saw and thought that all these people can't be nuts running their cars out there with the chance of braking something or costly repairs on their dd when they need to use them to get to work. When I saw the new Muscle Car Class ( which class I will avoid) I thought wow these cars a have a lot of money tied up into them and they , the older ones are setup to go straight and look good it could not be that bad on the car.
    I know my tires will take a beaten I didn't think of the ball joints ect. I thought with all the performance equipment my car has it would help protect many areas of the cars vs. stock components. Is there a way of enjoying the sport w/o beating the hell out of your car and if so what would I need to do?
    I thought Drag Racing will be harder on the car because you are always launching hard and pushing it to the limits and with a manual even more so. Plus it is just not as fun as SCCA. Please advise me on this. Not only for me but it seems that I have gotten a few people interested in joining the sport. I try very hard to be honest in what I write and don't at all what to be misleading. I also like to give the pro and cons. When I stated the Fact or Fiction Forum I did so to help people save money and what worked for me and what didn't work. Some many ad's to sell product when you don't need them for power gain.
    I believe not only I but other will be interested in what you have to say on this matter along with Phil ll please advise.

17. Markstang

Sorry, have not done any SCCA stuff. Only ever been to the drag strip. You're right that to drag race you launch hard and push the engine through every gear, going all out. Doing laps on a road course is a whole different ball game as it's more of an endurance game. things that normally cool down in driving around town will overheat, fail or compromise performance on a road course. Brake fade from heating up pads and rotors. Boiling brake fluid compromising brake pressure. Engine oil overheating. Power steering fluid boiling over(something i learned from Phil II's recent thread). These are just a few things that I have read about from people who race road courses and that I could think of off the top of my head.

18. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

The new car now have electric steering as far as the brakes I did think about that I down the road after some seat time I need to research what brake system I will need to get after the new one is worn out which was something I was going do anyway. The stock brakes on the V6 are just ok and that is a area where ford was lacking to begin with by the research I saw comparing the big 3 companies. Now for the brake fluid I will have to check with Phil ll and see is there is a fluid that is on the market I can get to help that I sure hope so . I wanted to wait at least a year before having to replace the brakes / rotors. When I ran the course it was only a 1/2 mile times course with about 30 mins. or between runs. I watch the temp and that seemed to be ok. My worry now is the wear and tear on the front end and is one thing I didn't think about . My hope is that the races I'm in are only 1/2 or so and the part to be concerned about are the brakes , tires , rotors and fluids. I'm hoping the front end is something that can be looked at don the road and that there is not a lot of abuse on the motor. Thanks for your feed back those are some things I did not know about.
    When you were Drag Racing was that with a V6 and if so what were your times and year motor size. I could only get down to 14.0 at 100mph with no go traction to speak of . I gave up on the Drag racing to put my time into the SCCA. I made only a total of 8 runs on my car at the Drag Strip . The tires I have now I think will be ok for SCCA with a 280 Thread Count I got them before Phil ll told me about the 300 Thread Count but they passed the tech. and class inspection for STU in SCCA.

19. Markstang

I think since your car is so new, you'll be just fine racing it from time to time. I've been to the drag strip 3 times, made about 25 or so runs total. All of the details are in my signature below. 15.036 @ 90.92mph with a 60' time of 2.148, so it was a pretty good launch for street tires.

20. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

My 60' were at best 2.059 to 2.107 worst were 2.215 to 2.292 Reaction Time , .025, .105, .288 ,.533 My son told me that you need to be careful on Drag Silks or a very sticky tire because of NOT having sub frames. He told me the car has to give somewhere and he ha d a 99 GT w/o sub frames and it started to twist in the rear section to the point it was hard to line bolts up. He then built a car just for the track and that one had the sub frames front to rear he even lifted one tire off the ground at the launch. That car ran low 11s with a V8 box body.
    So he said that my car would run in the 13s just need to work on the launches but enough is enough I settle for a 14.0 . Someone mention that the sub frames will also help with the SCCA Solo . DO you know anything about that? The next event I go to I need to remember to ask about that, to put on my to do list down the road. Kind of wishing I brought a older car with low miles now , wouldn't feel too bad about messing something up. Hind sight is something too late now.