Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FAQ- Why a cap is useless!

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by Member02, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Goindeafonmtx

Goindeafonmtx The One Upper

2. AutoBadges

AutoBadges Well-Known Member

i agree with you and thus use one, but no point in beating a dead horse lol

3. Mustangered

Mustangered New Member

A cap is definately NOT useless!

it makes a nice buttplug for your gf.

4. bj350hp

bj350hp New Member

can you sum that up. I don't feel like reading all of that ...............:sleep:

5. Pimento

Pimento New Member

caps=crap

The only cap ive had that made a difference was a rockford 50 ohm one, and it only raised voltage for about a minute or so.

6. Blue3.8

Blue3.8 New Member

you guys flame too much.

Mostly I hear of people using a cap to stop their lights from dimming when they drive with their sub(s) on pretty loud. That would make sense because the only charge from the cap you would need was that to make up for the power draw from your amps/subs when they hit. The cap takes some blow from your car's electrical system for that extra half second or so when the amp(s) need that extra power. You only need as much exra charge to power your headlights/whatever for the difference in power consumption there is from dimmed lights to fully functional lights.

Main point I'm trying to make: Less than half a second for cap to charge - half-second extra amp draw = full power everywhere else in your car.

Makes sense to me... I could be totally wrong though
    Nice post wexdafid :thumbup:

7. bj350hp

bj350hp New Member

thats the only reason I can think of to get one......:sleep:

8. Blue3.8

Blue3.8 New Member

Same here, total waste of money :crazy:
    but still people shouldnt be mean to this guy, sounds like he knows his stuff

9. JayLS5

JayLS5 New Member

I never checked Uranium's math, but judging by your criticisms I can see he was dead wrong.

That wasn't the basis of the argument anyway. The main point was that the authority on the matter said they were nearly useless. Countless times it has been shown to be a band-aid at best for power aids, in the real world.

If you hook up a completely drained capacitor to the car's battery, it will bog the motor. It pulls more power than the alternator puts out, and pulls it so fast that the strain on the alternator causes the engine's RPM to drop. I witnessed this happen. When someone's system is already stressing the alternator, how would a 1F cap help? Once the cap's small power supply is used (i've monitored how small it is), it just adds strain on the electrical system it purports to help.

Nobody is arguing that it is a great voltage stabilizer; in fact, the first post of that thread says that specifically. One can use it for amps with insufficient internal capacitance, but most amps you buy today don't need it and would have no noticable difference in sound quality. For the audiophile, it might make a tiny difference - but for the general audience seeking to buy these things, they do it to keep their headlights from dimming. Most of us know that it wont help much, if any, in that arena.

For the sake of righting previous mathematical errors, i'm going to work this into the original thread.

10. Member02

Member02 Audio GOD

I just wanted to say awsome! I'm glad people are at least technically interested in the truth, I read the added posts, been a long time since I had this put up...

I still stand on my side of the issue, but in the process of the following arguements I learned a couple things.

11. knappoleon

knappoleon New Member

Im afraid you dont understand the amplifier has a switching power supply inside and no battery can keep up with it. Thats where that low ESR comes into play in which a capacitor has.

Hate to do it but your entire post goes into the "MYTH" category.

Also you never put a uncharged cap on a vehicle. Duh. Both the undrained cap and the battery are both LOADS on an alternator. So if you want to waste your money on merely adding a second battery, be my guest and time will tell on your alternator. Not trying to be combative but Ive done installs for years and speak from experience. Just trying to save someone a headache from some misinformation.

12. knappoleon

knappoleon New Member

In fact...just to keep things simple and not speak over anyone's head...pop open a power suppy, your computer, a radio shack kit, whatever. You'll find capacitors and not just transformers.

Ask yourself why? Whats its purpose in the circuit?

13. VolitioN

VolitioN New Member

long story short i c where all the disagreements come from of course, but im glad i got mine for cheap....

i previously had the wiring wrong, cap was sucking pwoer from the amp, which caused everything to dim, no power from subs....but once wired correctly, dimming was prevented....if i were to do it again tho i'd just get another battery to run the subs seperately..

14. stevos238stang

stevos238stang stev-o

Why have a system anyway, if it doesn't make you go faster you don't need it, even in a V6. Sorry just had to put in my 2 cents.

15. knappoleon

knappoleon New Member

Because its not always how fast your car is...

Ever heard of SLAP?

Sound
    Looks
    and
    Performance

It is it's own competition circuit.

Sometimes its just about enjoying your music and being able to pair it with what you love most...your ride and your friends and being able to share that love with everyone else.

16. ESG-642T

ESG-642T Custom Camshaft's R US

Maybe people like to enjoy what they drive?

17. Jesse

Jesse The Voice of Reason

sounds like a statement from someone who has either never had a system, or who has never owned a fast car before, let me guess you started moding your 6 and got the bug now you think because its slightly faster you are the ****. There more to the world than your slow little car, in the last month ive built a 500hp car and a car that does over 150db and they are both very enjoyable in their own right.

18. GaCivic

GaCivic Go Buckeyes!

You're a douche. That's my 2 cents.

19. d3ko

d3ko get blown

so i should strip my car? you know, my a/c, my seats, my lights ect? GIVE ME A BREAK

20. stevos238stang

stevos238stang stev-o

You guys are tough, I just know I can get every bit of performance, from wherever I can, oh and Jesse I have an 03 Cobra so I know a little something about speed, and Gacivic you have a Honda and your on a Mustang site so um who's the douche. As far as a system goes the factory MACH 460 is all the system I need. I see what you get when you say something here, you get replys by a bunch of kids. Thanks