Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Favorite Tune?

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by PandaSmuggler, Aug 10, 2014.

Which Tuning Company Do You Prefer?

1. BAMA

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Steeda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MPT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. SVE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lund

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Local SCT Tuner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PandaSmuggler

PandaSmuggler Member

Hey Everyone!

I'm looking at getting my first real mod (I say "real" because I don't really consider an axelback exhaust a "mod" :p) and decided that a CAI and tune combo would be the most cost effective. I've already narrowed down my intake of choice (Airaid) but I'm not 100% sure on what tune to get. I'm steering more towards Steeda or Bama as I find free lifetime tunes to be a huge selling point. Having to pay to get an updated tune or go to a shop every time I upgrade a part will start to add up (plus, I'm cheap).

So what is everyone's thought? What tuning company have you had a great/bad experience with? (I guess this question doesn't only have to apply to 3.7 tunes as I prefer to buy from a company that steps up to the plate if something goes wrong).

2. 13v6

13v6 Member

I've run Bama for over a year now with no problems at all. I've run 87 and 93 octane tunes. 93 race is my favorite when I can afford 93 gas. RIght now I'm running the 87 performance tune and it's pretty good. To be honest, I don't remember how it worked with the stock tune any more (and don't really care). I have no experience with any other tunes but the tunes for life are nice as you're modding your car.

PandaSmuggler likes this.
  3. PandaSmuggler

PandaSmuggler Member

Awesome! I've heard some complaints about Bama tunes, but I think part of it is that it's so popular so there's going to be a few people that haven't had good luck. One irk that I have with AM/Bama is I got one of their print magazines and they claimed +37hp gains with the Bama/JLT intake combo. When I emailed their support, I never got a response. I was just a bit suspect that a CAI/tune would give such a high gain (even if it is curve gain and probably dyno'ing stock on 87 and bama on 93).

Regardless of what tune I get, I would probably flash an 87 octane as there is quite a price jump from 87 to 93. Also it sounds like there's better low to mid range gain with the street tune. Plus for whatever strange reason, I tend to get better MPG with 87 than 93 o_O

4. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

Other tuners sometimes look at the Bama tunes and say they're lazy tunes. Often they run very fat(rich) and aren't as perfectly customized to the car as a dyno or remotely datalogged tune would be.
    I cannot say if this is true or not, but I think it likely especially since they service so many people.

5. PandaSmuggler

PandaSmuggler Member

True. I imagine Steeda and co. would be the same way in regards to "canned" tunes. I'm sure they're going to be slightly more rich just to be on the safe side. Going to a local SCT tuner would probably be the best option to get every little inch out of the motor, but as I'm buying mods as I go, this would not be economically viable. I'm sure this would be different once I'm done with power mods and say, "I'm done!" but who am I kidding? When will that ever happen? :p

That being said, it's pretty damn impressive how much gains you can get with just a few bolt-ons and a tune (on an NA motor!) I'm definitely impressed with my V6 and my only regret is I took so long to buy another Mustang :)

getsidewayzdrift and Markstang like this.
  6. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

I have a long term relationship with my tuner, whom personally knows my mustang and all of its quirks. This is crucial because of the radical departure from stock.

I can say with great assurance that I prefer it this way.

7. doegex4

doegex4 New Member

i have the Bama tuner its been good, have changed tunes with every bolt-on mod, downloading tunes and ordering them from A.M. has been an issue, and they tell me no ghost cam tune is available. but definite performance gains, and a must if gear change.

8. PandaSmuggler

PandaSmuggler Member

So I did end up pulling the trigger on a Steeda CAI and Tuner combo. They have a 20% of all Steeda products so it came out to be $40 cheaper than AM's cheapest offering (JLT CAI & SCTX4 BAMA Tuner). Seems like a good kit and I'll make another post on my thoughts when I get a chance to install. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm really excited! Can't wait til next weekend :p