Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FIRST Ford Barra motors in the USA! IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Mustangman570, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Mustangman570

Mustangman570 Member

As long as the motor is 2005.5 and up you are safe to run 12-15psi with a good tune.

2. Flex

Flex Kicker of Arrogant Asses

Beg to differ. There is NO N/A motor period that can handle 15 lbs of boost. That's low compression forged piston/crank territory. Ford forums Australia says 6 lbs with a good tune that is not too aggressive. The last thing anyone wants is to spend big bucks on a motor and turbo setup to have it kaboom.

3. Braindead

Braindead New Member

It's all good, I would definitely put in the good parts if I was planning to make any real power. I don't really want to grenade the first decent performance engine I have had since I owned a 427 low riser 4 speed over 25 or 30 years ago. (that was a beast in a 54 Mainline business coupe)

4. Flex

After going through all the trouble of a unique swap, it would be wise. From what I read, it is a simple upgrade.

I just added a lot of high dollar upgrade parts to my brother's 2004 Hemi Durango. It is the one year that engine was a bit iffy. It ran awesome for 6 months. He went out to start it in the fall and it backfired. Unbelievably it threw a connecting rod as a result. What a sinking feeling. Now I have another engine to rebuild.

5. Flex

The old big blocks were pretty wild. I have a 72 Mustang with a quench head Cleveland. I picked up a 410 stroker for it 10 years ago but haven't touched it yet. I have a 1991 Supercoupe with a ton of bolt ons and a 4R70W swap that I love to drive but it has a no start gremlin. It dynoed 260 hp right before the latest episode. Coincidentally right after I picked up a front mount.

6. Aussie-Mike

Aussie-Mike New Member

I've got a n/a FG Barra long motor sitting in my storage locker outside Toronto. It's going in my '03. I'll strip it down this winter and have the block and crank magnafluxed and those pieces and the head cleaned up and machined for larger main and head studs. I've got many of the pieces I need for the rebuild ordered or lined up except for one crucial area… the transmission adapter! I'd like to go with a built 4R70W or 6R80 but so far I haven't found anyone making an adapter for either of them (they have the same bolt pattern). QuickTime don't list anything and none of the shops back home list anything. Any suggestions?

7. Braindead

Braindead New Member

If you are not able to locate an adapter for whatever transmission you want, any competent machine shop should have no problem making it for you. If that is the method you have to use, make sure it is a transmission that others would want to use also, then maybe you can sell copies of yours to others to help minimize the cost overall. I was fortunate mine came with the transmission still attached.

8. Aussie-Mike

Aussie-Mike New Member

I'd prefer to just use the ZF they came with in the Falcon but there's clearance issues in the firewall and tunnel. But looking around the closest I found was the QuickTime adaptors. Trouble is those are for the PG, TH and C4 autos, none of which do me any good. Spoke to a friend at UNOH and just making a plate isn't going to go well because of where the Barra starter is located versus the location on the 4R/6R. That leaves removing the stock bell housing on the trans and welding on a plate the QT bell housing can bolt up to. That's a process that could really expensive really quick. I think the easiest way out of this may be to get a ZF sent over and just hope the panel beating/cutting isn't too radical.

9. Braindead

Braindead New Member

I just had a thought ( I have done many amazing things starting from "a thought". But you have to realize, "amazing" is an ambivalent term), why does the starter have to be at the rear of the engine? I am pretty sure that the same crankshaft comes out both ends of the engine.
    I better find a bigger space to sit, I am thinking outside the block . . .
    I got it ! Get a big enough alternator and make it do double duty; starter and alternator. I think it could actually work if you put a delay timer on the ignition system so it starts to spin before the ignition loads the system.
    But impractical, I am sure.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 9:15 PM
  10. Aussie-Mike

Aussie-Mike New Member

Not the craziest thing I've heard today! Still the reason the starter needs to cue at the rear is for gear reduction so the starter can turn over the engine via the flexplate/flywheel. You won't get sufficient gear reduction anywhere at the front of the engine because there's simply not enough room to do it. If you tried to turn the motor at the front the starter would need to be a lot larger and would draw quite a lot more amperage from the battery.

But like I said not the silliest thing I've heard today because I think I just got off the phone with the twin brother of that short, bad tempered guy from the bagel shop video that's going around. Called XP transmissions because they list a 6R60 transmission for the Ford Falcon. Not ideal but there's plenty of upgrade parts out there for the 6R series and the price from XP looked good as a base. Needless to say I'm never doing business with that company again. Useless ass.