Flowmasters or MAC Exhaust on a '99-'04 V6?

After installing H&R springs and they lookbeautiful thecosmetics are officially over! Now on to mods.

First thing I am doing is getting a full exhaust.
I have bought MAC Longtube Headers, and MAC Offroad H pipe...now im stuck on a catback.

Flowmasters or MAC? macs save me a bit of money and ive heard them both with an off road h pipe...no idea what to choose. Suggestions?

Also can i reuse the passenger & driver side hangers that i used on a Mac dual exhaust cconversion kit?

Sounds good lol
I'm just still stuck on Flowmasters or Mac. I've heard from a lot of people Flowmasters sound too ricey on the 6's in high RPM's while Mac is better, but I'm not sure.

6 Shooter

If you want a better sounding exhaust, go with Pypes. Had the Flowmaster 40s in the past which had a buzzing sound at the higher RPMs. Switched them out for ProFlows. They are sleeper quiet at low RPMs but roar pretty good at mid to full throttle.

JRicky91sounds t: 4834253 said:

pypes x pipe magnaflow cats and a MAC catback

Don't mind the AWOLNATION playing.. haha
Holy crap. That sounds good.

I thought pypes x pipe sounded ricey. Im impressed. I still stick with H though

So Mac Catback > Flowmaster 40s?

Markstang

Polishing my banhammer
Keep in mind that video is an in car sound, which blocks a lot of the rasp. I don't think there's gonna be a huge amount of sound difference between the flows and MAC.

Your current tail pipes will still work as well as your mufflers as long as they're offset inlet/offset outlet. What you'll need to consider is how your mufflers hook to the midpipe. I did the same as you, mac lts offroad h, reused my tailpipes, picked mufflers with the right offsets. I had to buy flow tubes as they're called. you can buy the pypes flow tubes on american muscle or the dorman ones from somewhere like summit.

Keep in mind that video is an in car sound, which blocks a lot of the rasp. I don't think there's gonna be a huge amount of sound difference between the flows and MAC.

Your current tail pipes will still work as well as your mufflers as long as they're offset inlet/offset outlet. What you'll need to consider is how your mufflers hook to the midpipe. I did the same as you, mac lts offroad h, reused my tailpipes, picked mufflers with the right offsets. I had to buy flow tubes as they're called. you can buy the pypes flow tubes on american muscle or the dorman ones from somewhere like summit.
Wait, what? Excuse my language, but these jack asses from mac didn't tell me I needed to buy flow tubes in order for this to work

They said all I need is:
The GT Catback
The V6 off road shorty H Pipe which is compatible with the Mac Longtube Headers
Hanger kit that I already have for my current set up

...where do flow tubes come into this? Sorry, I'm still learning but I'm pissed off that I didn't get told this.

JRicky917

There isn't a difference in sound from the H to the X to divorced duals really, even fire 6 cylinder... I thought my car was smoother with the X coming from an H, but it's probably because the H had rotted out and it wasn't flowing well. I get a lot of compliments on mine, also because i kept cats which I think make or break a V6 exhaust.

and I may stand corrected when it comes to LTs but I really thought with the midpipe you wouldn't need flow tubes, thought it all reached...totally understand getting aggravated by that

So it is a necessary to get flow tubes too? Well, this sucks.

And I figured keeping the cats on a V6 = sounds too low, but with the cats out and an H Pipe = deep and loud

Markstang

Polishing my banhammer
a GT cat back will hook straight to the mac midpipe. the v6 dual exhaust conversion won't. remember the stock midpipe ends in a y with a single flange connection. h pipe has two flanges. its just two flanged pipes to hook the mufflers to the midpipe. Just to be absolutely clear, what do you have already(including what's on the car)?

a GT cat back will hook straight to the mac midpipe. the v6 dual exhaust conversion won't. remember the stock midpipe ends in a y with a single flange connection. h pipe has two flanges. its just two flanged pipes to hook the mufflers to the midpipe. Just to be absolutely clear, what do you have already(including what's on the car)?
Car is stock everything besides lowering springs
My exhaust set up right now is just the catback with dual exhaust from the Y Pipe. It also has hangers for the 6er tips to stay even.

Now what Im plannin on doing is trashing out the y pipe, getting rid of the stock headers and catback. I want to add in a mac offroad H pipe, a mac catback and mac longtube headers, but what I am not understanding here is where do the flow tubes come from and what are they used for?

Markstang

Polishing my banhammer
Think about if you tried to put your headers and midpipe on the car right now. They'd go on the heads fine. The midpipe would connect to the headers perfectly. But the catback wouldn't be able to hook up to your h pipe. Your catback only has one flange to hook up to the stock y pipe. You have two pipes that split from one flange to go to the two mufflers. Flowtubes are the two individual tubes that go from the mufflers to the two rear flanges on the midpipe.
AKA these: Pypes 2.5in Mustang Stainless Steel Replacement Flow Tube Kit PFF10K (79-04 V8, V6; 94-99 Cobra) - Free Shipping

If you buy a GT catback you don't need to worry about it, they come with two flanges. But why buy another cat back when you already have one that already has 90% of the parts you'll need. Tailpipes and tips are... tailpipes and tips. No need to change them out. Even if you don't like your current mufflers, it'd be cheaper to buy new mufflers and flow tubes than to buy a whole catback I'd reckon. Which brand v6 cat-back do you currently have?

Last edited:

TBone7281

00StangV6Coupe no more.
I had a true dual setup on my old car... this isn't exactly apples to apples but you can hear flowmaster 40s vs. MAC on this video I made a million years ago:

The video stopped working the way I set it up a long time ago, but you can see what each stage is in the description. The last set up is full MAC - shorties, catted-h, cat back. The 40's vs. MAC was similar down low, but at the higher RPM's the MAC was definitely better.

Defunitely the macs then
A little of that rasp...is that from the catted H? I boughtan off road h. Will it sound ricey with the longtubes

Markstang

Polishing my banhammer
So if I buy a GT catback then I don't need to buy flowtubes then, correct? The GT Catback that I was looking at is this:
MAC Catback Mustang Exhaust TK9635 (96-04 GT, Mach 1) - Free Shipping

Now this is what I currently have on this car:

MAC Mustang Dual Exhaust Conversion Kit TK3849 (99-04 V6) - Free Shipping
Also I'm pretty sure the Mac Dual Exhaust Conversion Kit won't work with Longtube Headers which is why I need another Catback
It's just that you'll be paying 400 bucks for the same exact cat back that you already have, with the only difference being those pipes on the front of the mufflers. Oh my mistake, the tips are slightly wider too. But still.

But Markstang, I cannot use that Mac Dual Exhaust Conversion if I'm also going for long tubes

I could have used the pace adapter with the Dual Exhaust Conversion Kit but it won't work with my long tubes