1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

front seal leak

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by SLO281, Dec 5, 2005.

Social Buttons
  1. SLO281

SLO281 Beer Bait and Ammo

just went to the oil change place , they say i have a leak on the front seal, what does this mean, what will it cost for parts/labor and any ideas how it happened?
  2. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy New Member

Isn't the front seal the seal that seals the front part of the transmission?
  3. SLO281

man i have no friggin idea, im so nervous, i was finally gonna get wheels but now i have this burden :cry:
  4. driftstang

driftstang Sittin' Sidewayz

on the block there's a front and rear main seal. on the tranny there's separate front and rear seals.:)

shouldn't they have told you this stuff? :confused: anywayz to do this ***I THINK*** you'd remove the oil pan and gasket and the crank pulley. Ive never read up on this but i'd think it's a pretty major job cuz i think the K-member is in the way of the oil pan so i might cost you some:( i don't know what causees this but i've never heard of this before:confused:
  5. homemechanic

homemechanic New Member

what yr is your stang? front seals don't typically leak earlier than the rear seal. are they sure it's not the oil from the oil filter got splash to the crankcase when they were changing the filter?

it's not that major to have a front seal leak. probably 2 hrs labor should take care of that.
  6. SLO281

home mechanic, my stang is a 99, if i had an oil leak no matter what seal(front/back) wouldnt the spot where i park my car have a oil stain spot? if so, my parking spot is spotless??
  7. mikek2111987

mikek2111987 Welcome to 3.Hate

possibly...the front seal is bassicaly where your crank sticks out and attaches to your harmonic balancer/pulley. since you park on an incline (i assume) the oil will go to the back of the oil pan and thus doesnt leak out while you are in park. hunker under your engine and see if your oil pan and whatnot is covered or has some oil and **** on it.

my oil single port that blew up had oil allllll over the bottom of the oil pan, it looked like hell. i didnt realize the front seal on it was blown out, not to mention missing and oil pan bolt, until i pulled it out.

pray it isnt your front seal, i hate to scare you but if it is, it will require a complete tear down of your engine...leaving nothing attached except your heads and oil pan.
  8. SLO281

when i park it is on a level surface, not inclined:confused:
  9. 94sexystang

94sexystang That's what she said

Actually, my front crank seal blew out, and my dad and brother-in-law replaced in right there in the yard....no problems, it was easy.

They just hadda get the harmonic balancer off and stuff, and just replaced the seal!

And NO you WONT be leaking oil, even if your REAR or FRONT seal is leaking.
    Typically the oil wont be high enough or be able to come out, when the engine is STANDING STILL.

Once you start to drive, the oil makes it way out and moves towards the REAR of your car, in most cases.

I dont know what you guys are talking about, unless we are talking about two seperate things.....its NOT a hard job, but you will need to know what you are doing.
    There is the possibility of screwing up your timing.

Shouldn't cost over $200 for labor, and thats if they OVER CHARGE you.
    The part costs $10 or 12.

DUDE, you got nothing to worry about, it's just a stupid oil leak, probably just got a TINY TINY slit in your front seal......i drove around with mine blown for God knows how long.
  10. SLO281

ok, heres the full story, i changed my oil the day this happened, did it myself cause last time i took it to get changed the dude broke my oil cap by turning it to tight. anyway, so i did the oil change, i ran my car for a bit afterward to see if there were any leaks because i was not gonna use it till later. well i made the mistake of not checking the spot where i parked it and when i backed up later on to get outta my garage, i got out the ride, went to check it out and i found a lil spot like the size of a nickle. it did not look like a fresh oil spot and to tell the truth i do not even know if it was oil. did i mention i have ocd? ok, so im driving later on and in the back of my head im thinking do i have a loose oil plug or loose filter(it just keeps nagging at me, cause of the ocd)? was that spot from this oil change? etc.. so i call this oil place and they tell me to bring it on in and they will make sure the plug and filter are secure. well when everything was finished and done with they told me the front seal was leaking, i was in to much awe to even think of asking questions such as what do u mean, i did ask how much it would cost and they said just to look around(they dont fix that kind of prob there). something about it wasnt an expensive part but they would need to drop the oilpan and most coast would be directed toward labor. i did not mention to the guy that i had just changed my oil literally hours ago, so as stated by mechanic up above there may be a slight chance i accidentally splashed oil on it or something. i dont have any idea, all i know is i am checking my oil constantly now.