Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel pressure S.O.S.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 016banger, May 15, 2017.

1. 016banger

016banger New Member

Im a new guy here and have just bought a 01 mustang. It drove fine for a good 45 minutes then lost fuel pressure and died on me. It cranks after sitting and runs, Obd II is reading low 20s when it starts choking on me. Im thinking it's the regulator or fuel injectors. Anyone had this issue?

2. pixapusho

pixapusho Member

Would really start with fuel filter and inspecting for kinks (have had both cause a similar issue). I would do a mechanical test at the schrader valve in the rail. If i didnt have a fuel injection test kit, i would just replace fuel filter and report back.

3. 016banger

016banger New Member

Replaced the fuel filter which definitely helped with the fuel pressure but it is still reading mid to high 20s. Then it drops drastically and nearly cuts off if i don't hit throttle hard. Thank you for your help, any advice is appreciated

4. 016banger

016banger New Member

Update, i took it for a test run after letting it idle for fifteen minutes. It ran well for half a mile tip the local store. I went in for fifteen minutes and came back out. Lo and behold my little car full of fun does the same dann thing. Cranks, idled horribly then died. I came back to it around thirty minutes later and revved it to about 4000 rpm for a few seconds before driving it home. I'm gonna try and clean the fuel injectors next. This car sat for a while before i bought it, possibly just clogged. Any advice would help

5. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Would also consider replacing the fuel rail sensor which can go bad. I have replaced mine multiple times over the year. The main problem that the sensor goes bad is because the files that Ford uses to control the fuel pump are lousy. Fuel pressures can swing from 20 to 90 and it's the high pressures that cause the fuel rail pressure sensor to get confused and out of calibration, even though not leaking. The only fix for the pump files is to change them in the tune and have found through experimentation the numbers which control the fuel pressure to within + or - 2 psi from 40.

6. 016banger

016banger New Member

Thanks shooter, I'll be looking into that next. Would a tune in a can change/help the problem after the initial fix? Also I've noticed you're pretty prominent on here, thank you for all the help you give.

7. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Only way to change the tune in the area of the returnless fuel pump is with an SCT tuner and providing him with new/different returnless pump specs which I have. If you have switched out the fuel pump to one with higher flow than the stocker, the fluctuating fuel pressure is even worse.

8. 016banger

016banger New Member

Ok cool, thank you for the advice. I'm very new to tuning and custom tunes.