Gabriel Ultra Shocks/Struts

MorganMcCann

I put them on the 'Stang tonight, after the set for a few days I'll let you guys know how they are. In the spring, if these hold up well I plan on doing my struts also.

The shocks I removed were the stock struts, the car has 223,000 miles on it.

MorganMcCann

I didn't want anything for performance, just a stock replacement. I've got way too many miles on the car to put a lot of money into it.

They are good for OEM replacements.

IMHO buy Aftermarket shocks and install them. I put the Gabriels on my 02 to replace the worn out stockers. About 2 months later I put Tokico blues on with drop springs. The money I spent on OEM replacements could of gone to the Tokico's.

I paid about $315 (with shipping to Hawaii) for the Tokico's from JC Whitney.

MorganMcCann

I got the rear shocks for 20$ from Autozone, and the front struts will only be ~100$. If I had the dollar for the blues, I would do them.
Why did you get rid of them?

Kuplex

Retired Admin
I got the rear shocks for 20$ from Autozone, and the front struts will only be ~100$. If I had the dollar for the blues, I would do them.
Why did you get rid of them?
He needed the Tokico HP's for the springs he installed since they can handle mild drops with ease. The ones you bought will give you no issues as stock replacements.

MorganMcCann

He needed the Tokico HP's for the springs he installed since they can handle mild drops with ease. The ones you bought will give you no issues as stock replacements.
Ahh! I did not know they wouldn't handle drops. Thanks!

When I do the front end, is there anything I should know about it that is strange?

Kuplex

Retired Admin
Ahh! I did not know they wouldn't handle drops. Thanks!

When I do the front end, is there anything I should know about it that is strange?
No, it's pretty straight forward and easy. Just make sure you don't let the brake caliper line hang if you unbolt them from the spindle for easier access.

Kuplex

Retired Admin
Awesome! Is there any other things I should replace while I'm working on the front end?
I'd inspect the end link bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends to make sure nothing need replacing/greasing. If the ball joint or tie rod end needs greasing, you will need a grease gun and a needle fitting to do it if they are OEM (no zerk fitting). But do not pierce the boot to grease. Instead, slide/work it up underneath the edge of the boot. If you have aftermarket ones with a zerk fitting, just attach to the fitting and squeeze. Just a little bit will do; you don't want the thing looking like it's about to burst. Also wouldn't hurt to glance at the pads and make sure they don't need replacing.