Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas tax.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 963.8, Jan 4, 2009.

1. 963.8

963.8 Retarded User

Anyone hear about the proposed gas tax increase? Some are saying there should be at least a two dollar tax on gas now that it is cheap. So what is going to happen when OPEC cuts oil production?

2. TBR

TBR TYVMSAP

If your avatar is synonymous with your driving, you can go ahead and suck a big one.

3. Guitarzan26

Guitarzan26 I'm old

link to those who think we should have a $2 tax?

4. yezzir

yezzir Super Nintendo Chalmers

whats this i dont even

5. 963.8

963.8 Retarded User

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/963749.html

Would you like a $1 gas tax to go with that new year?

The very idea seems laughable — last year, as gas prices scraped $4 a gallon, 65 percent of Americans in one poll opposed even a small increase in the motor fuel tax.

In fact, 60 percent of those surveyed wanted no federal gas tax at all.

Now, though, with gas at a buck and a half, a loose group of economists, academics, environmentalists and even some businesspeople is telling Congress and the incoming Obama administration that the 18.4 cents a gallon you pay in federal gasoline taxes isn’t nearly enough.

“Has there ever been a better time to raise the gas tax?” asked economics professor Thomas Cooley on Forbes’ Web site last week, proposing an increase of up to $1 a gallon.

Paul Foster, chairman of the Western Refining oil company: “The tax on gasoline needs to be at least $2 a gallon.”
    “We need a significant increase in the cost of gasoline to change our habits,” writes conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer, proposing a $1 gas tax hike after the enactment of offsetting tax cuts for workers.

He and others argue that a significantly higher federal gas tax:

•Would reduce demand for foreign oil, providing less money for unfriendly regimes.

•Would cut down on pollution and encourage mass transit.

•Wouldn’t be a hardship with crude oil at $40 or $50 a barrel or less.

Talk like that is about as popular as a broken fan belt with some analysts and lawmakers, who say raising taxes in a tough economy would be next to impossible.

“You hurt the driving public and you hurt the American economy more than the good you do,” said Ben Lieberman with the Heritage Foundation think tank in Washington. “There are better ways to deal with the problems in the world and terror than to try and micromanage America’s energy choices.”

In most years, raising any taxes would be tricky, but it may be metaphysically impossible for most politicians to vote to raise the fuel tax when cheap gas is the only bright spot in the collapsing economy.

“Now is too risky a time to be talking about a tax increase on family budgets, and a gas tax increase would be just that,” said Republican Sen. Kit Bond of Missouri.

Most Democrats agree.

“If you were called a tax-and-spend liberal, and your name was Nancy Pelosi, you’re not about to allow a 50-cent gas tax increase,” said Rep. Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri.

Supporters of a gas tax hike say they can ease the pain, politically and financially, by making the increase revenue-neutral — enact tax cuts or provide rebates that compensate for the additional cost of motor fuel or other energy sources.

“There are tremendous benefits for the environment, for the economy, for energy independence and national security” from that approach, said Dan Rosenblum of the Carbon Tax Center, which supports higher levies on all carbon-based energy.

“If you go out and buy yourself a bunch of SUVs, you’re not going to make any money on this,” he said. “But if you decide … I’m going to trade my SUV for a small car, a hybrid … that person can come out ahead.”

Offsetting higher gas taxes with other tax cuts or rebates, though, might cause problems with other government programs. Cutting the payroll tax, for example, could mean less money for Social Security. And encouraging drivers to cut back on personal transportation might actually produce less money for highways and bridges — the very projects the Obama administration wants to use to stimulate the economy this year.

6. vertstang232

vertstang232 New Member

I think there should be an increase in tax on fuel, pump the revenue from the tax back into infrastructure so it wont be as shitty as it is now. This will also encourage people to take alternate means of transportation.

7. 963.8

963.8 Retarded User

Well if there was a form of mass transit around this area I'm sure people would use it. But raising the tax to try to get people to use mass transit when there is none seems kinda stupid.

8. MiniMach

MiniMach Im yo' favorite cracka

It mustve taken him a looooong time to do that in a single port. :lol:

And gas prices are already going up in my area, and anything I say in this thread isnt going to make a difference anyways.

9. idioteque

idioteque Pine away for your banner years.

How old are you?

10. Zim

Zim The Coors Knight

OPEC DID cut production... :uhh:

11. SchwaebzGT

SchwaebzGT What?

:(

but i like being able to fill up my car

12. BlueSHO

BlueSHO New Member

Downhill with a tailwind!!! ;)

13. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

I'm all for increased fuel taxes or even a price floor.

14. IggyBiggy

IggyBiggy Q('.' Q)

i would be for it but i am against it simply because it would be punishing those who do not have access to public trans or another mode of transportation.

15. YZBot

YZBot is made from stars.

Only up to the point where it supports the roads fully with taxes, and only the roads. That way there is a clearly defined funding source for that type of transportation. All other projects can then siphon their funding from someplace else. It drives me nuts when the state takes money from the road funds for projects that ultimately will never break even (light rail projects here in MN) and require permanent subsidies to operate. Then they turn around and wonder why the roads suck ass and raise general taxes on everyone.

Your bus ticket should represent the real cost of operation, your train ticket should reflect the real cost, your gas taxes should fully cover the roads.

16. BirminghamStang

BirminghamStang Audi Guy

thank yuh obama!

weesa musta had too much moneys...weesa gonna haveta give it to da gub-ment!

17. vertstang232

vertstang232 New Member

How about a bicycle or walk?

18. Zim

Zim The Coors Knight

That's great when you live within 2-3 miles from work, but for the guy that has a 45 minute commute in a car with no traffic, that's not going to work.

19. Guitarzan26

Guitarzan26 I'm old

20. Domingo

Domingo LT's on a vert

The only thing that is getting people out to spend some money is the fact that gas went down... all a high tax will do is hurt the economy more right now. Basically they are saying, you might lose your job, and everything is getting more expensive, but if you go buy a new (and overpriced) car, you can save some gas money and be able to afford to drive to work.

That's just what we need, a bunch of people going out and adding more debt in the form of a car loan.