Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting into my mess of a suspension..

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by DarkWhite, Aug 27, 2014.

1. DarkWhite

DarkWhite New Member

Well the time has come between the strange squealing, creaks, and squeaks.. I will daily this car but it will be driven like it's stolen almost all the time I'm not afraid of a stiff ride that will rattle my teeth out of my head as long as the car handles like an f1 car as I take it into a corner without fear of insane under steer. I've decide to not be the victim of a parking lot fender crushing ball joint failure. So here is my game plan! Front brakes, rotor and pads. Ball joints. Tie Rods. Bushings? Not sure of how to tell what are bad and what are good so I may just replace them all and give myself piece of mind, I'll do camber plates as well. I'm afraid I have a bad wheel bearing too but I haven't checked which side. Struts and springs need.. a good source of both springs and struts? brands, models, pro's, cons? Feel free to drop info and past experiences my way and tips. I've done some research but it's all conflicting A place to get a good deal on these parts would also make my day. Thanks.

2. getsidewayzdrift

getsidewayzdrift one- wheel peelin!

I just replaced my hubs, ball joints, tie rods, endlinks, sway bar bushings and steering rack bushings and let me tell you, HUGE difference at 167k miles.
    it felt like the front of my car was literally going to fall apart before, now its smooth as silk man, don't forget to get an alignment and make sure everything is torqued back down to specs, and honestly I'd try to do as much as you can at one time, less labor in the end. I'd recommend, along with alot of other people on here, to get solid steering rack and sway bar bushings.also I've heard countless times that Maximum Motorsports is the way to go for CC plates.
    keep us updated man! Good luck

3. tastywheats

tastywheats Active Member

For your sway bar and steering rack bushings I would recommend getting a set of energy suspension polyurethane bushings. I haven't ran a set if solid rack bushings because I have a UPR k member which have welded in holding rods unlike the OEM and MM k members which have a hole and removable ones so I can't run them. For your sway bar end links I would get a set of MOOG suspension ones from O'Reilly or AutoZone. They are polyurethane and the energy suspension set are a bit shorter than stock and had my sway bar angled incorrectly when torque down correctly. Are you wanting to stick with springs and struts or go coilovers? If you are planning on lowering the car I would replace the tie rods with a bumpsteer kit.

4. douglass

douglass Active Member

If you plan on tracking the car you could get Delrin Lower control arm bushings. These will take all the flex and preload out of the front. They can be found at summit racing. The steeda X2 ball joints, and steeda bumpsteer kit will help with getting the suspension at proper geometry when lowered. Coilovers front and rear will definitely stiffen up the car, for the more budgeted approach would be kyb agx front and rear struts (allow rebound/bump adjustment) with an Eibach drop spring. Lastly installing poly rack bushings.

1.5 Deg of Negative camber, maximum positive caster, and a very slight amount of toe out should give you some nice corner entry.

5. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

If you really want to make a Mustang handle, I hope you are willing to spend 5-10K. And I am not exaggeration that price at all.

Be realistic with what you are wanting the car to do or you will end up paying a lot of money for something you really don't need for your purposes.

6. DarkWhite

DarkWhite New Member

I'm being fairly realistic I drive the car pretty hard, so I want to know that the front end is squared away when I'm out hot rodding around.. I'm not trying to build some super race car I just want it to handle like it should.

7. Jesse01V6

Jesse01V6 Away from V6's for now........

If you just want it to handle like it should, just go stock replacement. No need to drop a bunch of money if all you want is an original ride.

I will say to look into just buying a set of factory control arms for it if you don't plan on doing the ball joints yourself. You can get the 03/04 Cobra control arms that have the joints already in them. The labor some of these shops want to charge to do lower ball joints is retarded.

8. DarkWhite

DarkWhite New Member

When I mean handle like it should.. I mean as in the stock configuration isn't good enough.. I just want to make small improvements. Bump steer kit, camber plates, Ball joints, bushings, and struts/springs. I did add a set of cobra control arms to my watch list on eBay I mean if I have to do the control arm bushings anyways why not just get new arms with the ball joints and save myself some work. Still looking for a good set of after market struts and lowering springs. I have to do all 4 tires and brakes as well. I'm so OCD that this project may never end until the car is 90% brand new..

9. Jesse01V6

Jesse01V6 Away from V6's for now........

If your truly into like a lot of us are, even when you have replaced almost everything on the car, it still won't be done.

They never are really done...

10. dapack69

dapack69 Need Money ASAP

I’ve had the following suspention mods done for a while:

MAC Subframe Connecters
    Pro3I Lower Control Arms, Weight Jackers
    Baseline upper control arms
    CHE Axle Brace
    Tokico D-spec Adjustable Struts & Struts
    Hotchkis Caster & Camber Plates
    AJE Tubular A-Arms
    H&R Super Sport Springs
    Energy Suspension
    Competition Engineering Roll Bar 8-point
    Now after the car has sat in storage for over six years I’m adding the following, I either have it or it’s on the way to me to get installed.

Eibach front and rear sway bars
    Brembo Front brakes (same as 2000 Cobra R)
    Steeda rear shock tower brace
    Steeda billet sway bar brackets
    Front wheel hubs
    Front dust caps
    Steeda bump steer kit
    Steeda X2 ball joints
    Maximum Motorsports Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings
    LRS torque boxes

Leaving the main things I would need to get is a panhard bar and maybe a Tubular K-member.

11. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

Bumpsteer kit is a waste of money for street driving. I think you will be happy with just a good set of shocks/springs, new bushings, CC plates, and some full length subframe connectors. You might also look into a GT rear swaybar. If that doesn't "fix" it for you enough, then it is time to break out the big checkbook.

12. 00Danimal

00Danimal Drift missle

I personally just put in the SR performance coil over kit and a rear strut tower bar and a rear sway(from GT) over the summer. The cars handling has improved considerably and I'm only a g deep, I did however just get SR cc plates and a front brace, can't wait for those to be in.. But it shows you don't have to go nuts with the chee$e to be able to have fun, I track my car and have more issues with tire roll on stock 15s haha