Gizmodo SR-71 Blackbird Article

investinwaffles

3.8's Other Indian™
The nearest airport won't be able to take me above 75,000 feet. Even then, good luck that the AFB in Southern Oregon has an available U-2 or SR-71. And in the miracle they happen to have one or the other, or ****, even BOTH there's no ****ed way they'd let me say "hai guise, i r ride on teh plane reel high while high lul kthx." and toss my fat ass in a sealed flight suit like I'm some Tom Cruise high fivin mother****er.

I think he meant that many local small airports and FBO's will have a 30min "discover flying" flight for free or a low fee. You could probably talk the pilot into taking you up on a clear night.
Even in a small plane it is pretty remarkable and you dont have to spend millions (or billions) of dollars to do it.

sgramer

Big LoZer
Very sweet book indeed. The pictures in it are absolutely amazing.

Drop-dead gorgeous aircraft. I flew down to a flight museum in Oregon with some fellow pilots and they had one on display (also where the "Spruce Goose" is). Just getting to look right into the cockpit was a huge treat.

Ever been to the Pima Air Museum, or the AMARG Facility ? I was there over 20 years ago, and it was awe inspiring. I need to head back there as they have added allot of planes. Also do a tour of the AMARG facility, since I just drove by it and stared last time.

I missed the Spruce Goose when it was in Anaheim. I need to head up there and see it. I am glad they found a new home for it, and wee able to do some restoration.

They interview the pilot in that article on a history channel special about the A-12/SR71. And yes I know there are differences between the two planes.

kgmx856

Dirtbike Aficionado
I think he meant that many local small airports and FBO's will have a 30min "discover flying" flight for free or a low fee. You could probably talk the pilot into taking you up on a clear night.
Even in a small plane it is pretty remarkable and you dont have to spend millions (or billions) of dollars to do it.

Exactly what Im talking about :thumbup:

Zero

Muff Cabbage
Cool story bro.

But really, the feel of going mach 3.5 has to be incredible. The sight of the milky way that the pilot saw had to be amazing. Like Nick, I'd give anything (rationally) to see or feel what that pilot had.