Good Blu Ray article...

idioteque

Pine away for your banner years.
Proof?...and maybe showing this trend next to the competitions trend.

The weekly sales ratios are out there if you want to see it. I am not in the mood to dig through old threads at other forums just to prove a point to someone who will just say it is meaningless anyway.

Narcosis

Drove it, like I stole it
The weekly sales ratios are out there if you want to see it. I am not in the mood to dig through old threads at other forums just to prove a point to someone who will just say it is meaningless anyway.

well i looked and found nothing of what you're talking about

nikko

Admin Emeritus
And i'm sorry to say...I usually support your views Nikko...but I really don't think you've done enough research.

Research on what? I gave my personal opinion. Not sure how one researches an opinion.

Gonna have to qualify that statement, sport.

mkmatt

My laptop plays my DVD's just fine. Doubt I'll get either until I get a PS3 in about 3 years :lol:.

Alucard

Always
nikko already made the point i would bring up

sony bluray player 700$
HD-DVD player under 300 now (269$)

sony is notorious for inflated pricing and not competing properly with their formats. if the blu-ray player was dropping in price like the hd-dvd players they would have a much better shot at taking the crown but as it stands now hd-dvd seems to be slapping them around.

I will keep my 60$ philips up-converting dvd player until someone ultimately wins.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Narcosis

Honestly I really don't care. Looking at the technical specs I believe HD-DVD to be the superior technology with better codecs/compression and without all the bloat of the BD format.

The tecnology is cheaper, easier to produce, and works just as well.

I personally won't buy either of them until AACS is laying in pieces on the floor and my fair-use rights have been restored.

To tell you the truth, I'm very impressed with the 480p quality of my current Denon/Faroudja DVD player and don't see any compelling reason to upgrade.

Research on what? I gave my personal opinion. Not sure how one researches an opinion.

Gonna have to qualify that statement, sport.

there

Wandler

@nwandler
nikko already made the point i would bring up

sony bluray player 700$
HD-DVD player under 300 now (269$)

sony is notorious for inflated pricing and not competing properly with their formats. if the blu-ray player was dropping in price like the hd-dvd players they would have a much better shot at taking the crown but as it stands now hd-dvd seems to be slapping them around.

I will keep my 60$ philips up-converting dvd player until someone ultimately wins.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Sony has a $499 machine coming out this month and the Toshiba that is currently $299 will be going back up to $399 soon enough. So in a months time it'll only be a hundred dollar difference...

Pinoy Boy

That Guy...
Speaking of Sony... you know it's funny. Based on the e-mails we get here at The Bits, it seems like hatred of Sony is one of the biggest reasons those who side with HD-DVD give for doing so. "What about that whole root kit fiasco? Sony sucks! They're all about greed! F--- Sony!!"

That's funny, I hate sony too. But I hope they do come out on top, that way I can continue to rip them off. Seriously, I even make sure all my blank dvds are sony brands to burn movies on and I make a point of "backing up" sony studio movies. My ps2 is modded, and my psp is hacked to all hell. I'm sure by the time I get a ps3 I'll be able to do the same to it. And before anybody chides in, yes I know it's childish :)

nikko

Admin Emeritus
EDIT: Ok I just want to see the technical specs that made you believe HD-DVD is superior to Blu Ray.

Like I said. HD-DVD is cheaper to produce and has more flexibility as far as codecs and compression mechanisms that to this point have resulted in better quality transfers relesased on HD-DVD.

The difference in storage between the two formats is negligible and does not make one "technologically superior".

Blu Ray's added "features" are nothing but bloatware that increase the cost of the product at no benefit to the consumer. The BDi interactive crap is answering a question that nobody asked. BD+ is yet another layer of anti-consumer "protection" that serves no purpose other than protecting the medium from copying for maybe an extra 9 months at most.

The discs are expensive to press and the lasers are expensive to produce. Economies of scale will eventually bring both of those down but HD-DVD will always be cheaper because of the simpler design and lack of extraneous "features" that do nothing to improve the user experience.

Narcosis

Like I said. HD-DVD is cheaper to produce and has more flexibility as far as codecs and compression mechanisms that to this point have resulted in better quality transfers relesased on HD-DVD.

The difference in storage between the two formats is negligible and does not make one "technologically superior".

Blu Ray's added "features" are nothing but bloatware that increase the cost of the product at no benefit to the consumer. The BDi interactive crap is answering a question that nobody asked. BD+ is yet another layer of anti-consumer "protection" that serves no purpose other than protecting the medium from copying for maybe an extra 9 months at most.

The discs are expensive to press and the lasers are expensive to produce. Economies of scale will eventually bring both of those down but HD-DVD will always be cheaper because of the simpler design and lack of extraneous "features" that do nothing to improve the user experience.

Well like I requested...I wanted to see some proof...but other than that, I think the article does a good job at refuting your points.

nikko

Admin Emeritus
Well like I requested...I wanted to see some proof...but other than that, I think the article does a good job at refuting your points.

The article doesn't say anything about why blu ray is technologically superior. The entire argument has to do with studio support and that's about it.

goldenstang00

Chebby Guy

You never gave me proof of the U.S. heading towards a Civil War. :lol:

Oh man I'm glad I remembered that the other day.

TBR

TYVMSAP
Blah Blah Blah, not everyone has 800 bucks for a Blu-Ray player, and using a PS3 to do it is tacky.

If I went anywhere it'd be HD-DVD.