Greensteeda's V6 Road Race Car Build (The End)

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
Updates-

9-27-08: Weight post 66
10-16-08: PCV situation post 67
10-19-08:pHB installation post 78
11-2-08: First Auto-X on Speedway Post 103

I am getting closer and closer to getting to my goal of wheel to wheel racing in the American Iron class of the National Auto Sports Association (NASA). To my knowledge there has never been a V6 Mustang in this class or a car modified to the level to compete in a non spec type road race series. I am making this thread to document the build of the car and my progression to getting a full racing license (planned for spring 2010). Instead of making a new thread for every little modification/fix I do I will compile it here and keep this first post up to date on the most recent changes to the car.​

Here is the car in stock form back in 2002.​

The first set of modifications was basically to improve the looks and performance of the car but still be totally streetable. Steeda Sport springs, Tokico Blue dampers, MM C/C plates, Steeda SFC, Mac LT headers, Mac 2.5” catback with O/R H-pipe, and 18X9 Saleen wheels went one within the first two years. This is where the car was after those modifications​

A few years later I had a little mishap with a defective tie rod and this was the result:​

And when repaired I ended up with the Saleen front​

After I decided that I really wanted to get into road racing, I ditched the stock brakes for some Mach 1s with HP+ pads and started to take out the interior. I also replaced the Tokico Blues with the D-spec in order to get ready for the coilovers and much higher wheel rate.​

After several track weekends I decided that I really needed to up the cars manners. It was a very capable car with just the light street modifications but I started asking it to do things that it didn't want to do. I installed coilovers and traded the heavy 18X9 Saleens for some 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs with BFG rubber. Here is the thread about the coilovers and very high rate rear springs:​

The front coilover rate is 425# and the rear MM torque arm springs are 435-535# progressive.​

I had some clearance issues with the new wheels and coilovers:​

The fix was shorter coils to move the lower spring seat up higher and .25” wheel spacers:​

Last edited by a moderator:

greensteeda

One problem that I was having while on the track was staying in my seat. With the new stickier tires and improved suspension I was spending way more energy on pulling myself back to the middle of the seat instead of turning the wheel. To fix this I wanted to install some proper racing seats. That means that they need to have proper belts, and that means that you need roll over protection. I got the main hoop from MM and built the rest in my shop.​

I then was running into problems with the gas tank getting hot and spilling fuel in hard left hand turns. I had to ditch the nice sounding Mac system for some Magnaflow race mufflers and side pipes.​

After a few more days at the track some more problems started to emerge. I was boiling the power steering fluid and it was starting to spill all over the headers. I switched to Mobil 1 ATF fluid and installed a power steering cooler. About that time I decided that I wanted to install some brake coolers to help prolong the life of pads and hubs.​

And the thread on the brake coolers​

More stuff came out recently as well as the rest of the interior, radio and a/c:​

I am currently working on a PCV catch system because I am having some big oil blowby with the breather filters on the valve covers. Oil was dripping on the headers last weekend at the Nashville Speedway and I was black flagged twice for mechanical issues. That will come in a later post.​

I think that is about it up to the current state of the car. Some of the other small modifcations are as listed:​

Ford T-lock with 3.73 gears​
Steeda short throw shifter​
MM aluminum steering rack bushings​
Shorter endlinks​
GT rear swaybar​
Stickers...5hp per sticker​

I will be moving into the advanced run groups with both the Porsche Club of America and Mustang Club of America next season and hopefully getting signed off for a license test. Stay tunned as the car gets further developed.​

Latest track videos

[YOUTUBE]D0Suk3-oCw8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

greensteeda

thats cool... do you have a dd or do you runt this car on the street too?

No it is not a DD. I picked up my dad's 1998 Explorer about the time the cage went in.

Ashentep

Nitrous Junkie
I missed your cage thread earlier this year. I like it. Is there a reason you went with 4 point over a 6 or 8? I know the stresses are different drag vs autocross, but its rare to see a drag car without bars connecting the main hoop to the subframe connectors.

Also, what helmet do you use? I need to upgrade mine and am looking into my options.

greensteeda

great build up man. how are the mach 1 brakes holding up?

Absolutely wonderful. They are the best brake upgrade for the price.

Good thread, Diller! Glad I could inspire it :D

Yeah I figured I would get off my butt and get it done:thumbup:

I missed your cage thread earlier this year. I like it. Is there a reason you went with 4 point over a 6 or 8? I know the stresses are different drag vs autocross, but its rare to see a drag car without bars connecting the main hoop to the subframe connectors.

Also, what helmet do you use? I need to upgrade mine and am looking into my options.

I just went with the 4 point because that is really all I could afford at the time. I will hopefully complete the front portion by the end of next year. The tubing that is required by NASA is very expensive (1 3/4" OD .120" wall DOM) As of right now the cage is great for tracking days and some time trial stuff.

The helmet that I am using right now is an Impact Champ. I like it for the most part but it doesn't have very much room for a radio so it gets a little cramped in there. Other than that it is very comfortable and light weight.

Aereon

WaiStang
Man I wish I could have a dedicated race car... what was the offset of the new wheels for you to be having those clearance issues with the coilovers?

chaoticdismay

the rippin and the tearin
you looked so cute in that first picture!! :love:.

maybe i'll be in the "green" group next year (in nashville :p), you "red" monster you!.

greensteeda

Man I wish I could have a dedicated race car... what was the offset of the new wheels for you to be having those clearance issues with the coilovers?

I think these are the 24mm offset. Ford produced two different kinds and I got the smaller offset. I don't know for sure because I got these second hand. The funny thing is that I have one with the bigger offset so it sticks out a hair more than the others. Even with the difference I have had no tracking or handling problems. I'll trade it out when I get my tires for next season.

you looked so cute in that first picture!! :love:.

maybe i'll be in the "green" group next year (in nashville :p), you "red" monster you!.

Hell yeah. It would be awesome to have you guys back in the good ol' state:thumbup:

I went ahead and updated the second post with some videos from the last two weekends.

Aereon

WaiStang
I think these are the 24mm offset. Ford produced two different kinds and I got the smaller offset. I don't know for sure because I got these second hand. The funny thing is that I have one with the bigger offset so it sticks out a hair more than the others. Even with the difference I have had no tracking or handling problems. I'll trade it out when I get my tires for next season.

hrmms odd, the black saleens I have in the front are 24mm too and I have about an inch clearance on the struts, and an inch+ with the shocks.

blainestang

3 Mustangs, 0 Spoilers

IIRC, both the R58's (original style) and R50's (new style) Cobra R's have 5.92" of BS.

The M179's (old style w/ extra BS for SN95 axle Foxbody's) are 6.42.

That being said, it was dang close between the wheel/tire and C/O when I was running the 10th's on my Fox. The 10th's have 6.12" BS.

greensteeda

hrmms odd, the black saleens I have in the front are 24mm too and I have about an inch clearance on the struts, and an inch+ with the shocks.

You also have 18" wheels. When I had the Saleens they fit over them perfectly.