Grinding Noise while Turning Right

nvstang

All of the sudden my car has started making this really dull grinding noise. It started in a parking lot when turning right. It's almost the exact same noise as the power steering pump when you turn it all the way to the lock. That noise you hear when you can't turn the wheels anymore is basically what it sounds like.

I have flushed the PS fluid (needed to be changed anyway), and the problem persists. It's not coming from the PS pump, either. It's coming from the passenger side front wheel while turning right. I've verified that the noise is coming from the right front wheel by having someone else drive my car turning right while I was standing outside the car.

The noise doesn't happen at idle; I can turn the steering wheel back and forth in my driveway and it doesn't happen. It also doesn't happen when I'm completely stopped and make a right turn such as at a red light. It's totally silent. It also doesn't happen when I jack up the car and spin the wheel by hand.

It doesn't happen when the wheels are pointed straight and it doesn't happen turning left.

It only happens when the car is in motion and turning right. Anybody have any ideas what to check?

Shifty

probably the wheel bearing, or if the tire is wearing bad due too a bad alignment. so make sure to take a look on how its waring.

although if it if it happens only when turning right that would lead to the left bearing being the problem. are you 100% sure it was coming from the right wheel?

buddyantunez1

00' 3.8L v6
mine does it when turning to the left. its the wheel rubbing the sway bar, but then the paint is worn off the outside of the shock, so it might be hitting it a little too

2KSTANGFIRE

Take your wheel off and inspect the inside of the wheel for grind marks. Also inspect the spindle hub for excessive bearing play. You may need to remove the caliper and rotor to get a good feel of the hub.

nvstang

probably the wheel bearing, or if the tire is wearing bad due too a bad alignment. so make sure to take a look on how its waring.

although if it if it happens only when turning right that would lead to the left bearing being the problem. are you 100% sure it was coming from the right wheel?

100% sure it's coming from the right wheel. The tires are brand new so I can't tell how they are wearing yet.

mine does it when turning to the left. its the wheel rubbing the sway bar, but then the paint is worn off the outside of the shock, so it might be hitting it a little too

I have that, too. They are 18x9s so they do rub on the swaybar, but it's never made this noise before now. When it makes the noise its immediately after I start turning the wheel to the right; long before the wheel should be rubbing the swaybar.

It's because you have the wrong axles in the wrong rear end housing :facepalm: :lol:

:rolleyes:

Take your wheel off and inspect the inside of the wheel for grind marks. Also inspect the spindle hub for excessive bearing play. Yoy may need to remove the claiper and rotor to get a good feel of the hub.

I guess that is what I will do. Pull everything out and see if I can tell what's grinding. I know that the last time my brakes were done the dust shield was rubbing the rotor, but this is an entirely new sound compared to that.

jimmy_beaner

VITA EST BREVIS
my GT did this exact same thing... for probably 2 months, and then just stopped and hasn't made a noise in over a year.