1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Braunstein82, Jan 4, 2006.

Social Buttons
  1. Braunstein82

Braunstein82 New Member

I have a 94 3.8 mustang. It has dual exhaust no mufflers on cats and h pipe, 3.73, diablo chip, cool air, plat 4 plugs. It wont stop overheating, if it starts to overheat i turn off the overdrive and it stops, I have put in a new radiator, and water pump, and flushed it out. and i still overheats and has no first gear power. And if I rev it up as i let off I hear a pop from under the passanger side, It has been doing this even before all the upgrades. Please help I have alot of money tied up in the pos to have to give it away.
  2. bluetuesday13

bluetuesday13 V ^_^

what's on the programming of the diablo chip?
    thermostat?
  3. 94sexystang

94sexystang That's what she said

Hehe.....seeing as it IS a 94 mustang....

I hope it aint head gaskets.

Also check your coolant sensor.

The popping is probably due to you not having any mufflers. lol
  4. bluetuesday13

bluetuesday13 V ^_^

x2 on that.

may have lost power because of that. must sound horrible.
    and get yourself some copper plugs while you're at it
  5. Braunstein82

Braunstein82 New Member

I tried running it with the chip off, didnt help. At first I ran it without a thermostat but I just put one in to see if it would help. I change the head gaskets about 2 yrs ago but I think there was a small leak so I ran some gasket seal and it stopped smoking. But It has had this heating problem since before that. I dont know what your talking about x2, my exhuast sound great and the car has alot of power in 2nd gear but none in first. If I turn the chip off its a hell of alot slower all around.
  6. Braunstein82

Braunstein82 New Member

I changed the cooant sensor and fan comes on fine.
  7. bluetuesday13

bluetuesday13 V ^_^

im asking what program is the Diablo chip? (like advanced timing)
  8. Braunstein82

Braunstein82 New Member

I dont know I ordered it from pdq. Told them what year and model. They sent me a chip.
  9. 96whitepony

96whitepony New Member

Not sure but i think the mufflers as well as the cats play a roll in back pressure? I am almost prone to think head gasket. Are you losing fluids? Coolant. oil ect........Smelling hot coolant? Loss of power and overheating together normally means head gasket.
  10. Braunstein82

Braunstein82 New Member

Do you think I lost power by takeing off the mufflers
  11. 96whitepony

96whitepony New Member

Possible. Not sure how big a difference it would be. Prolly not enough for the change you have noticed. My concern would lean more towards damage due to not enough back pressure.
  12. miwago

miwago Mechanic, 20+ years

You need to have a coolant system pressure test done .. If the pressure drops too quickly with the engine off, or rises to quickly with the engine running, you've got a leak.
    The rule of thumb is to pressurize the system to the radiator cap maximum, and you're looking for a change of 1/4 lb or more per 5 minute test.
  13. xarva

xarva Active Member

Sounds like a vacume leak. Did you remove the smog pump? DON'T. Also check for air in the water lines sometimes trapped bubbles cause overheating issues. Be sure the thermostat is at least 180 degrees. Mustangs like high temp thermostats if it's under 180 or not there it will cause performance issues.
  14. 94sexystang

94sexystang That's what she said

DEFINATELY

You can see anywhere from an ESTIMATED 5-15hp loss

Running straight pipe causes you to lose low end torque.
    I dont know why the hell I didnt REALIZE this earlier.....
    But i bet thats your problem for having no power in 1st gear.
    (because without proper back pressure, its alittle more difficult to get the car moving)

It will also normally cause you to lose power in higher Rpm ranges too.(i know mine did without a doubt)

Because I know when my mufflers were rotting out on me, i started gradually losing low end power. The car would kinda hesitate when letting the clutch out.

Then as it got worse, the car got DEEPER and LOUDER, it was always popping and i didnt have any High Rpm power at all. It was driving my neighbors crazy and waking everybody up on my street as i cruised down the road at 3am.
    :lol: :thumbup:
    Not to mention all my interior was vibrating and squeking and began to drive me nuts without the stereo up LOUD.:lol:

Man GOOD times.:D

The car moved alittle better at higher speeds though.
  15. Braunstein82

Braunstein82 New Member

How do you test for vacume leak and air in water lines, I never heard of a smog pump, but i didnt remove anything but mufflers I h piped it after converters and straight pipes all the way back I think 3".
  16. xarva

xarva Active Member

I know the smog pump was on the pre 94's not certain if they still have them but they're a belt driven accessory. Basically you'll have A power steering pump, water pump, crank pulley, a/c compressor, and alternator. The one generally located under the a/c compressor or alternator is the smog pump. I had a 84 with one, I bypassed the smog pump basically it had a small pipe that lead to the exaust manifold on the passenger side. I took out the smog pump and the car lost alot of power due to the vacume leak I had created and ran hot as well. It's either a vacume leak or timing. If it's a leak you can use a can of either (engine starting spray contains either) while the car is running carefully spray it over vacume lines if there is a crack or hole in one the engine will slightly raise in rpm's when the line sucks up that either.

As for the water issue heat and cool the engine with the radiator cap off be sure the thermostat is in the open position. Never open the radiator while the engine is hot warm up the engine with the radiator cap already removed then use some good gloves and a rag, when the engine warms completely cover the radiator spout with your hand. The system sometimes has to build 8lbs of pressure before the thermostat will actually open up even if the engine is hot it still needs pressure to open. Once thats done just let the engine run with the cap off for a little while all the air bubles will eventually cycle out of the system. If water starts flowing out just rev it a little bit consistently, but before you stop be sure the cap gets put back on or the water will flow out.