Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help! Rack and pinion sounds like bad ball joint when hitting bumps.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ronstang12, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Ronstang12

Ronstang12 New Member

The popping noise I hear from my front end that sounds like a ball joint has to be the somehow looseness in the steering column, and how it is attached to the rack. It is not the u-joint for the shaft. It may even be a problem with the whole rack. (I replaced the inner tie-rod thinking it was bad, because there was play in the boot.) ....Well, got the boot off and the play is in the rack. (back and forth) Steering is nice and tight, no play at the wheel and feels great with no issues or binding. The play where the tie rod connects is very slight, and the sound that I get when I hit bumps seems to be the same as the sound when I jerk up and down on the shaft....That didn't sound right...Anyway the mounting bushings are fine, and the u-joint is fine, and the steering feels fine! Just getting a bad ball joint type sound from the rack when hitting bumps. I'm sure nobody has had this issue, as I purchased this Mustang knowing that a teenage kid ragged on it. But it is an MCA edition, and has everything I wanted as far as appearance packages go. So I took it anyway. 3.7s are high revving engines, I figured what the hell, I'll deal with the other fixes, the engine is probably fine! (New control arms at 40k, wheel bearings at 65k, and a clunking rear end now) Does anyone know about these newer electronic racks? is the problem I describe a danger, or just a terrible noise? I haven't taken a close look at where the shaft connects to the rack, beyond the u-joint is out of lazy man's view, but going to check it out in a day or two. Maybe there is a bushing or something that is destroyed, I'm picturing the shaft not being connected tightly enough and therefore could also be causing the back and forth slight play near the tie rod. I heard these racks are over 700.00! Just a bushing? :) ....
    Any input is appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM